IGNORED

NAMM 2019 : The thread

d-a-m-o

January 24-27 2019

Yes, It's that time of the year.

any wishes ?

hope for a new digital drum machine from elektron, maybe in the digitakt/digitone format ? 

not expecting a lot from this edition TBH 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any wishes ?

Only one, always the same... something like a monomachine mk3

Also, maybe something like oto biscuit mk2

Ok, yes... a stereo version of wmd geiger counter

YES! YES! Also !!! Yes! Sorry... stereo elektron multifx box for under €2k

Dreadbox is putting out a multi-effects unit with a real spring reverb:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2019-dreadbox-reveals-hypnosis-time-effects-processor

The apparent lack of sync to external devices for a digital delay at that price point is dumb but I'm sure it sounds great nonetheless

I keep hoping for a Digitone-style wavetable synth from Elektron. I know they've got something in the works, but don't know what it is; lol I even offered to sign an NDA when I visited but no luck :P

any wishes ?

Only one, always the same... something like a monomachine mk3

Also, maybe something like oto biscuit mk2

Ok, yes... a stereo version of wmd geiger counter

YES! YES! Also !!! Yes! Sorry... stereo elektron multifx box for under €2k

I hate to be this guy but I feel elektron should focus on getting their shit together regarding ob, the last updates and bugs/issues with the dn/dt before announcing any new products. Maybe my view is skewed but it seems quite a few people are unhappy and if they don't live up to their promises it might start to damage their credibility.

I think they posted a statement explaining why the ob update was delayed somewhere in april and nothing since then.

Maybe there should be a poll where people can vote on what will come first; watmm update or ob 2.

I hate to be this guy but I feel elektron should focus on getting their shit together regarding ob, the last updates and bugs/issues with the dn/dt before announcing any new products. Maybe my view is skewed but it seems quite a few people are unhappy and if they don't live up to their promises it might start to damage their credibility.

They have different teams working on each product, from what I can gather. It doesn't make sense for a company that offers many different products to go all hands on deck just to work on one.

The industry seems to be changing in favour of a "minimum viable product" model, as is the case with software. This is to be expected in the era of easily updatable firmware, people wanting things now now now etc.. though it's interesting that they're working so much behind the scenes on Overbridge 2.0 without releasing anything publically. I did sign up for the Digitone OB beta but I guess my use case wasn't unique enough.

Anything Elektron releases I don't think I'd touch until at least a year or more after it's been on the market now anyway...they've had so many quality issues with the last few boxes and the whole OB thing of course...just sticking with their old gear for the foreseeable future. Besides they'll just release a Mk2 a year or two after it comes out anyway so why bother lol. They're keeping their old shit up to date at least still so I'm not shitting on them entirely or anything.

The only machine they've released a mk2 version close to the mk1 release was the Analog Heat, and that was mostly to update it to the visual style of the other boxes.

Anything Elektron releases I don't think I'd touch until at least a year or more after it's been on the market now anyway...they've had so many quality issues with the last few boxes and the whole OB thing of course...just sticking with their old gear for the foreseeable future. Besides they'll just release a Mk2 a year or two after it comes out anyway so why bother lol. They're keeping their old shit up to date at least still so I'm not shitting on them entirely or anything.

Yeah, those quality issues (fucked up encoders, sticky buttons) are not acceptable at this price point, and what is the deal with OB ? Still not released or buggy as hell ?

I'd like something to replace both my mixer and audio interface.

I also wouldn't mind a beat step pro mk 2 or a delay/reverb elektron box.

Oh and a PO-AMEN.

The only machine they've released a mk2 version close to the mk1 release was the Analog Heat, and that was mostly to update it to the visual style of the other boxes.

pushes glasses up bridge of nose. Ahem, yes, but actually...

MD UW and UW Mk2 were also two years apart. UW+ was only 3 years after that. Rytm and its Mk2 were also 3 years apart, and all three versions of MNM were 3 years apart from each other. 

I was just joking earlier but if you wanna get technical and start looking at it then their history isn't the best as far as rehashing (a matter of opinion of course, some people see that as a plus, i'm on both sides of it tbh)... it's almost like Elektron just sorta releases shit then redoes it over and over and tweaks it for QC/feature updates. Like I said before, not shitting on them really, just stating my opinion on their recent track record. They can do whatever they want and if they do something I like, I'll give them my money.

That said, I'll eat my hat if they don't announce a Digitone or Digitakt Mk2 in 2019 or 2020 though  :tongue:

what re yo talka abouta?! my 2016' mduw and mnm are perfectly fine  :emotawesomepm9:

haha I ALMOST grabbed one of each when they announced they were done. Almost. Should've bought a few of each just as an investment.

Back on topic, did y'all see the Akai APC Live leak? It looks t e r r i b l e but I guess maybe useful for some? MPC thing was a flop from what I gathered on the forums. Could certainly be a NAMM thing.

http://cdm.link/2019/01/ableton-apc-live-leak/

They have different teams working on each product, from what I can gather. It doesn't make sense for a company that offers many different products to go all hands on deck just to work on one.

The industry seems to be changing in favour of a "minimum viable product" model, as is the case with software. This is to be expected in the era of easily updatable firmware, people wanting things now now now etc.. though it's interesting that they're working so much behind the scenes on Overbridge 2.0 without releasing anything publically. I did sign up for the Digitone OB beta but I guess my use case wasn't unique enough.

Yeah ok, but ob isn't currently supported for any of the updated machines of any of the mk2 machines right?

It'd be kind of weird if they'd either release a new machine that won't be able to use ob at all or one that will be ob compatible "in the future". Neither one of those scenarios really looks good for them I think.

So if they announce any new hardware it should be accompanied either by an ob2 release or a definite release date.

I'm happy using my a4 mk1 with ob1 though, I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't have a whole bunch of issues with ob although there are some annoying bugs.

Never understood the analog heat. 600 for a distortion pedal?

It's a lot more than a simple distortion pedal though. It has a whole bunch of different circuits, there's a multifilter, lfo, envelope follower, etc. It's stereo.

New volcas look sweet

They do indeed ! They look much more complete than the Kick.

A Volca Acid could be a good addition to the line-up by the way :music:

it's 8 different analog distortion/overdrive etc circuits + 2in/out an audio interface and works w/overbridge. has internal modulation and filters. 

it sounds good. we had one at work for a while and i tested it a bunch of stuff. it's a nice processor. built well too. 

for reference.. sherman filterbank 2 is $749 and is 2 filters, overdrive, midi/cv i/o, lfo's, envelopes, noise source.. basically a standalone mono synth but no oscillators.. has noise source instead. 

I'd like something to replace both my mixer and audio interface.

Check the Tascam model 24

Wow that looks real nice, cheers!

it sounds good. we had one at work for a while and i tested it a bunch of stuff

Where do you werk maaang?! I werk in a hospital and ive never seen it! :(

Archived