IGNORED

Bands that sound exactly like other bands

Zephyr_Nova

This is the best example I can think of, bt I know there's more.  Ozma is pretty much a carbon copy of early glory days Weezer.  They did a bang up job I must say.  Even got to tour with them as a direct result,

https://youtu.be/t6zN0Zu2KOI

This amuses me greatly, so please share other examples.

This Chinese metal band who sound very similar to 90s-early 00s Metallica

even the intro is basically 100% lifted from this song

and most of the rest of the album (it's on spotify) has the St Anger drum sound lol

That's hilarious!!  omg it's so surreal to hear a Chinese Metallica.  It's them to a T.  Same with that Camoflag/DM parallel.  Man I'm tempted to actually download their albums, would be like a bonus addition to the early DM discog, which is something I'd gladly have more of.  Fucking perfect examples.  This makes me want to make doppelganger compilation albums.  The Parallel Universe series.  

Keep 'em coming!

Ahahahah Ready for the World vs Prince.  It's so weird what great lengths artists will go to sound as much like their heroes as possible, really quite bizarre when right down to small vocal affectations, drum machines, synth style etc.  Sooo much effort went into pure imitation.  Great example.  The Joy Division one fell flat for me because their recording/performance was so shitty.  They did not achieve the uncanny factor, just missed the mark by too much.  Their kick drum sounds like someone brushing a condensor mic with a piece of foam.  But I've no doubt they love Joy Division.  (Pin Group of course... the Talking Heads one is more of a charming homage, quite well executed.  Yeah, very JD.)

More plz

One of my favorite hiphop quotables courtesy Edan (beauty and the beat, 2005):

My mental fabric, too thick for Lenny Kravitz

Who imitates Jimi Hendrix in every facet

Also, dunno if this is the thread for it, but I've never met a Peter Gabriel fan that isn't a Sting fan and vice versa.  Music for dads who used to own 6-cd tray CD changers and wear business casual clothes to do yard work on weekends.

reminds me of when talking heads tried to rip off joy division

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF2BYqc5Zuc

I read somewhere that they made this song without actually hearing their music, just guessing what they would sound like based on their name. Maybe bullshit. I think it’s cool though.

lol @ Chris Stop.  He's like a Thom York vocal studies scholar.  So weird...  Like, put something of yourself into it, anything!  I think you showed me this Julian Fane track before.  Very Kid A yes.  

Music for dads who used to own 6-cd tray CD changers and wear business casual clothes to do yard work on weekends.

Business casual?  Could be Autechre fans, at least of the NTS era.  For the record, I like Peter Gabriel, but not Sting.  Up was one of my fave albums when it came out.  Not sure it would still hold the same place in my heart were I to listen back now.  

Wow dude, checking out their Colossal Youth album now.  This is excellent.  Actually does not remind me of Stereolab at all, yet.  But I'm only on the second song.  Her vocal melodies are really top.  So interesting to hear such rhythmically driven music with absolutely no drums, save some very subtle, minimal samples keeping tempo (more like organ percussion being used as a metronome I guess).  Oh here we go - track 3 has got the Stereolab vibe, but it's only the instrumentation that does it.  Cool band.  Thanks!

One of my favorite hiphop quotables courtesy Edan (beauty and the beat, 2005):

My mental fabric, too thick for Lenny Kravitz

Who imitates Jimi Hendrix in every facet

Also, dunno if this is the thread for it, but I've never met a Peter Gabriel fan that isn't a Sting fan and vice versa.  Music for dads who used to own 6-cd tray CD changers and wear business casual clothes to do yard work on weekends.

As a dad I can't disagree with the Peter Gabriel / Sting point. That said I use Spotify and mow in my old Onistsukas and hoodies with colors to dumb to wear out in public.

The vocalist of this band 'Fuji Kureta' sounds bizarrely similar to Bjork, albeit more androgynous. Some of the nuances of the delivery are undeniable.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3378365293 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small track=3316066966]

Archived