IGNORED

Faith No More appreciation thread

TheBro

That first label-released EP from 85 is really good.

Sounds like a Hawkwind/Killing Joke collab with Teresa Nervosa from Butthole Surfers on drums. Amazing.

FNM were great, but they have a lot to answer for WRT inspiring the rap-metal boom of the late 90s. I know it's not a popular opinion but I've always liked the Chuck Mosley albums better than the Mike Patton albums.  

That first label-released EP from 85 is really good.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I've always liked the Chuck Mosley albums better than the Mike Patton albums.  

RIP chuck. I'm with you. I love The Real Thing and Angel Dust, but they don't have the same reality/rawness as the first 2 LPs. Plus, I just like the songs better.

Patton is a great singer, but there was always something a bit too showy about him. I never really cared for the later stuff.

Interesting tidbit... I got to know "Anne" from Anne's Song (she's a real person). She told me a dozen incredible stories of the skate punk scene in NYC back in the 80s. She had a loft in NYC and used to let touring bands crash at her place (she had an indoor halfpipe). She also was close with the Chili Peppers and told me she thought Mike Patton was a bit of an Anthony Kedis clone. 

When I knew her, she and Chuck somewhat estranged friends (I think they used to date and Chuck's wife or girlfriend was jealous of her) and she actually gave me Chuck's phone number to try and get them back in touch. I never did because I was too nervous. She autographed my Introduce Yourself cassette with this message... "Now is the time where you can do anything, everything you do, anything it 's still gonna turn out great. You've got the world at your feet." 100% true.

big FNM fan. saw them a couple times in the 90s. still listen to their tunes from time to time and sing along in the car. 

zombie eaters is forever a fav.  lyrics so good. 

I love FNM - one of my all time faves.  So many great songs.  Ashes to Ashes has one of the most outstanding vocal performances.  Makes me wanna climb mountains.  Might be something to with the lyric... no idea what he's on about, don't care.

https://youtu.be/Kfq7wHJu21c

I mean how many songs actually come close to showing the full scope of a singer's full voice range.  Granted, he can go significantly higher (screetching/falsetto) and lower, but even still.  Most songs just don't utilize both ends of a vocalist's range like that.

Ashes to Ashes was the first song of theirs that I heard, beyond Epic or Easy I guess.. but it remains one of, if not my favourite of their songs.

Such a great band. I'm gonna have to go against the grain a little and say KFAD is my favourite album by them, but they're all so great that it doesn't really make sense to pick a favourite imo. I hope they make another album; Sol Invictus was as good as I hoped it'd be.

i don't know that much FNM but love mr bungle (disco volante especially <3).i was like, hey it's the mr bungle guy! when i first heard FNM hehe. my fave two tracks that i know are evidence and king for a day.. that KFaD bassline! should listen to more..

Yes, you should.  Both Patton and Spruance were on the KFOD album, as previously mentioned.  Yet even though Spruance is one of my absolute favorite musicians/composers, I don't think he was as good a guitar player for FNM.  His playing is actually notably sloppier... but his ideas and abilities as an arranger/composer are really where he is extraordinary.  Anyway... Album of the Year was my favorite or theirs forever, but I really can't pick one at this point.  I thought Sol Invictus was right up there with their best work.  So cinematic.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, Patton was supposed to sing the national anthem for an NFL playoff game this past weekend. But didn't due to illness.

That would have been interesting.

I'm not the biggest FNM fan and no idea how well known this is, but I was reading something recently and learned that Courtney Love was the singer for FNM for a while back in the '80s.

I only listened to that album once, need to give it another chance.  I definitely agree about the drums based on the above track.  There is literally no sense of groove to be found, like just a total mess of be-as-busy-as-possible.  Video's amazing tho.  Vocals were executed pretty well within reason given the backing tracks he was up against.

i must have played the shit out of angel dust and king for a day last year, some of the best albums that came from the 90's to me

hardly every played the last album (or the death cross one)

Sol Invictus is great.  I listened to it with my friend a couple nights ago - she wasn't familiar with FNM, and I had a pressing urge to revisit that one because of this thread.

Her reaction in point form:

- "love it!"

- that singer has a great voice, and he's funny.  Especially enjoyed when he used his lower range.

- it was like all the best aspects of those rocker bands that I normally find cheesy.  Just the good parts, none of the cheese.  (She cited RHCP as an example, which allowed me to segue into that whole feud thing... discovered that her old band opened for Neil Hamburger through this tangent - what???  i think Metallica was the other band she cited.)

- bass player's excellent

- guitarist kept it really tasteful, no wank, just complimented the songs in the right way

- drummer's solid, obviously

- the skill of the musicians involved is very apparent without them ever needing to show off

Anyway, it was cool to get someone else's fresh perspective on FNM.  I thought she nailed a lot of the things that have always made FNM great.  I mentioned I was concerned they might be a bit "hypermasculine" for her tastes - she got why I'd think that, but said they made it sexy.  Ha.  Right on.

I have nothing more to add other than Cone of Shame is fucking epic.

Big FNM fan since first seeing the "Epic" video on MTV in '89. I was hooked on the band and Mike Patton's voice. To this day The Real Thing is an album I consider to have had the biggest impact on me, and I still love the hell out of it. That said, I've been hoping for it to be remastered for decades.

I really liked Angel Dust but it was never the same as The Real Thing for me. Some great songs (RV, Kindergarten, and Jizzlobber being my favs), but it felt uneven in comparison. No denying it was a high school staple though. 

I quickly discovered Mr. Bungle as well as the earlier FNM with Chuck, appreciating both. But basically I was a Mike Patton fanboy throughout the 90s and early 2000s. Yet somehow, with the gap in time and joss of Jim between Angel Dust and KFAD, I didn't bother with the two following FNM albums for a few years. Till one day I was chatting with some new friends who also appreciated Mr. Bungle, and they said I was missing out. It's true, those albums are quite good even if a little uneven - but that's how I felt about Angel Dust anyway. Still solid 4 out of 5 albums for me though. I didn't get into Sol Invictus but to be honest I only played it twice when it was released. Just wasn't feeling it.

I know this isn't a Patton thread but on that topic, definitely had some projects I didn't care for (mostly the noise and improvisational stuff). But stuff like Lovage, Tomahawk, and Fantômas were quite good. Had high expectations for the long anticipated Peeping Tom album, but I think that was where he started falling off for me. Mondo Cane wasn't as interesting as I'd hoped, and the film score stuff just doesn't hold my interest. Anyway in the last decade plus his range just isn't the same and he just sounds a bit too performative without the creativity he may once have had. 

Archived