IGNORED

Faith No More appreciation thread

TheBro

Just listened to the Dead Cross album again.  It's a nice little slab of hardcore, short 'n' sweet.  His lyrics sure are weird, I love how he delivers them though.  The songs themselves aren't particularly memorable, but if I listened enough to actually know all the song structures I could see it being a pretty satisfying album.  Lots of cool sections in there.  I rescind my comment about there being no groove... perhaps it's true, but it's really more about getting beaten up by the drums rather than being moved by them.  Pretty good album all in all.  I wish more hardcore vocalists could be vicious and melodic at the same time.  It's far more satisfying than just constant barking.

I wish more hardcore vocalists could be vicious and melodic at the same time.  It's far more satisfying than just constant barking.

Yeah this is why I can't get into a lot of hardcore. A lot of the vocalists are just too monotone for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I do love music where the vocals aren't melodic at all, but I need variety!

Just gave Angel Dust another listen for the first time in a while.  It does sound very dated now, but I like those aspects of it.  You can hear the tag end of the 80's clinging on to it, but in a much darker setting.  Lyrically it's some of Patton's strongest work, taking a jab at sordid American stereotypes.  I think King for a Day and Album of the Year probably aged better.  Will be relistening to those again soon.

The Small Victories book that came out last year by Adrian Harte is a great read, especially covering the 85-95 era. These guys were and are still an original and brilliant band.

I am an unashamed Patton fan and some of the Tomahawk material flirted with FNM styles. I personally rate Sol Invictus as a great comeback, and sick as I got of Epic, there's 2 vids on YouTube decontructing the songs into their individual channels - Puffys drums, Gould's bass and Martin's guitar on that song are just astounding when heard in isolation.

Bungle are great also, virtuosity beyond belief, and Secret Chiefs 3 are worth checking if you dig Spruance (the Zorn albums are best).

Sent from my OnePlus A5010

Tetema is the best album he has done in 10 years

Didn't seem familiar when you mentioned it, then I looked it up on RYM and it turns out I did listen to it a couple of times and rated it 7/10. Will have to listen again because I don't remember a goddamn thing about it.

Archived