Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

how to be a dj
musik

gonk donk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Schofield

Sam Schofield

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Joined 13-November 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/sam-schofield-14

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

How do you become a dj and start playing at clubs?

It seems really daunting to me, so i asked my local club to play a show and they strait up turned me down, and I live in plymouth where theres very little going on... so... what now? that was like the only good club, should i just start at my uni venue on something? Where they would like 90s hardcore and abstract IDM? hmm???

#2 worms

worms

aciiiiiiiiiiiiiied

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • 70 topics
  • Joined 05-June 18
  • SoundCloud URL:www.soundcloud.com/bran1983
  • Interests:acid

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

Be prepared to take national express bus to a bigger city, stay in a hotel. Bristol, london, liverpool

Edited by worms, 06 January 2019 - 03:17 PM.

#3 fletcher

fletcher

ϧAÆF┘├÷x╝¦

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,577 posts
  • 227 topics
  • Joined 02-February 10
  • PSN:fletchymole

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

I started at uni in 2000.
There was not a lot going on and after finding a few other like minded people we formed a dj society. Got some funding, purchased some cheap 2nd hand decks to teach others, wangled a discount with a local record store, put on our own nights in the union and then spread out to a regular event in Coventry where we could guarantee an otherwise quiet night for the small bar would get 30+ people in.

Also depends what sort of music you want to play. If you manage to get a gig but also want to be asked back, then you need to go cater for the audience. I used to play trance and techno, but when out at our event in Coventry we stuck to house in order to appease the bar manager and regulars.

Highlights including djing an after party where some fresh faced trance djs had just played their first ever UK gig - Above & Beyond are a little bit famous now.

Also got to dj in The Planet at Coventry which 10 years previously had been called The Eclipse, Carl Cox was a regular and the Prodigy had their first ever gig there.

Wouldn't say I was ever very good at it but I can still beat match well and I use my turntables as often as I can.

#4 fletcher

fletcher

ϧAÆF┘├÷x╝¦

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,577 posts
  • 227 topics
  • Joined 02-February 10

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

If you are in it for getting gigs by other promoters and making a few quid / beer money then prepare to pander to the audience to get people through the doors (and eventually dancing)

if you want to maintain your own artistic integrity and play what you want to play then you probably need to start up your own night. Advertise, hire a venue, hope people show up and dig what you do. Good luck.

#5 BCM

BCM

The King

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,896 posts
  • 285 topics
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:23 AM

Might be a silly question, but like, can you actually DJ? Like well? What style of music do you play? If your answer is only 90s hardcore and abstract IDM you're going to really struggle.

I think these days it's practically impossible to simply "become a DJ". You need a following, experience, skill, connections and a fair amount of luck. Do you have a social media presence or appreciable follower base?

Edited by BCM, 07 January 2019 - 06:25 AM.

#6 TheBro

TheBro

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 51 topics
  • Joined 09-June 17
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/thebro

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:52 AM

How do you become a dj and start playing at clubs?

It seems really daunting to me, so i asked my local club to play a show and they strait up turned me down, and I live in plymouth where theres very little going on... so... what now? that was like the only good club, should i just start at my uni venue on something? Where they would like 90s hardcore and abstract IDM? hmm???

Yeah you'll need to think about playing in bigger cities. Also the genres you've chosen aren't even that popular in the big cities these days. 

Edited by TheBro, 07 January 2019 - 06:54 AM.

#7 fletcher

fletcher

ϧAÆF┘├÷x╝¦

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,577 posts
  • 227 topics
  • Joined 02-February 10

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:09 AM

Also, you need a cool DJ name,

Me and my mate were going to call ourselves Curds & Whey

But the project never came to fruition.

#8 auxien

auxien

just one thing i wanna know

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,721 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

Based solely on how hard I laugh at jokes on Twitter about DJs being idiots and cunts, I'm guessing you need to be an idiot or a cunt. No firsthand knowledge here, however.

But also maybe this might be a good tutorial video: 

#9 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts
  • 47 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

it's wicked fun, but, let schlitze out?

btw:

https://en.wikipedia...iY_Sound_System

#10 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • 177 topics
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:i lika pupies

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

step 1: download virtualDJ7

step 2: use soulseek to amass many mp3s of Choons

step 3: press the 'analyze for bpm' button

step 4: activate "record to mp3 320kbps"

step 5: pick a bunch of tunes and put 2 on the decks

step 6: move the crossfader to deck 1. press play.

step 7: near the end of track 1 press play on deck 2, hit the sync button, then crossfade

step 8: do that for like 2 hours and then upload it to mixcloud or soundcloud

step 9: make a twitter or something and post about yr mixes

step 10: ask a friend if you can DJ their house party

step 11: raise the roof

step 12: after your set, if it was good enough, shmooze with people until you meet another DJ

step 13: network and get a gig somewhere

step 14: raise the roof

step 15: rinse & repeat