IGNORED

William Basinski - On Time Out of Time

fumi

Composer William Basinski has announced details of a new album, titled On Time Out of Time.

Due in March, the album features music that was originally composed for 2017 installations ER=EPR and Orbihedron by artists Evelina Domnitch and Dmitry Gelfand. Included in the music are sound recordings from an observatory which captured "the merging of two distant massive black holes, 1.3 billion years ago."

Basinski will play two UK shows following on from the album's release, at St John on Bethnal Green in London on March 29 and Manchester's Albert Hall on April 11. On Time Out of Time is out via Temporary Residence on March 8.

Sweet, can't wait! His last few releases have been friggin amazing.

following info from: https://www.temporaryresidence.com/products/trr311

The CD and Digital formats feature two tracks: The 40-minute title track, “On Time Out of Time,” as well as “4(E+D)4(ER=EPR)”, a live track recorded during the aforementioned installation. The vinyl LP format features two exclusive mixes of the title track: “On Time Out of Time” on the a-side; and “On Time Out of Time (The Lovers)” on the b-side, made especially for the vinyl format.

VINYL FORMAT INCLUDES MP3 DOWNLOAD COUPON INSIDE PACKAGE

CD / DIGITAL TRACK LISTING

1. On Time Out of Time

2. 4(E+D)4(ER=EPR)

VINYL TRACK LISTING

1. On Time Out of Time

2. On Time Out of Time (The Lovers)

• 3 weeks later...

Composer William Basinski has announced details of a new album, titled On Time Out of Time.

Due in March, the album features music that was originally composed for 2017 installations ER=EPR and Orbihedron by artists Evelina Domnitch and Dmitry Gelfand. Included in the music are sound recordings from an observatory which captured "the merging of two distant massive black holes, 1.3 billion years ago."

So pumped can't wait! Really enjoyed the Jlin song 'Holy Child' where she got the vocal samples from Basinski. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds quite different from his earlier loopings - I think those collabs with Richard Chartier have done him some good!

Yeah, for real. It kinda sounds similar to Watermusic, but also kind of a mix of A Shadow In Time and Selva Oscura (which are amazing). Really excited for that title track now.

• 4 weeks later...

On first time through - Wow. This sounds very good. A departure for sure but lots of subtle details in the mix and incredible throbbing bass (on the right system). I don't know how I would characterise the title track (it's actually split into parts) - dark and mysterious - sort of like a cross between Eno, Steve Roach, Lightwave, Vidna Obmana (90's stuff) and Alio Die. Listening to this, if I didn't already know, I wouldn't think this was William Basinski at all but that's no bad thing. On this album, he has ditched his trademark looping altogether - apart from some strange clicks and static noise that loop for the first two or three minutes on the opening track. This is a late night record that might just keep you up as it's faintly unsettling too.

My only criticism is that the second track, 4(E+D)4(ER=EPR), doesn't fit on this album very well. It's a great, uplifting piece but I think it would have been better served elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked this up earlier in the week - A fantastic release and a real nice change in direction. My favourite section starts around the 25 min mark of On Time Out of Time - reminds me of a cross between his The River album and the bit in Koyaanisqatsi when there's they compare the city aerial shots with circuit boards

Archived