IGNORED

This Time with Alan Patridge

hello spiral

That’s crazy to think about. Here’s some info on his next film. Has a decent cast and one of the writers from Peep Show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7078658/

Hoping the humor is more Mark-tinged, although wouldn't mind if he Jez'd it up, can't go wrong with some balls-up Jezzing. 

Really excited to hear this, thanks for sharing. Always pumped and grateful for anything Morris does. This seems to be his first project set in America (excepting all of those little bits from Day Today where a criminal from a US prison is being interviewed and executed, and also the brilliant American priests with guns bit from Brasseye crime episode. 'You moved funny, I had to shoot.' lol

IIRC it came about as a result of the true stories he'd read about terrorist groups - Seem to remember one about a group loading up a boat with weapons and bombs and having to be rescued as it sank from the weight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m a yuuuuge Alan Partridge fan and have seen everything. I was so excited for this series, but I have to say, I’m not feeling it anywhere near as much as I expected.

To me, it just feels like it’s more cringe than laugh. Also, some things don’t really line up (see SPOILER for more of my thoughts that most of you will probably disagree with).

Maybe it’s because Armando Iannucci isn’t a part of it.

Whatever the case, I have only watched the first 4 episodes and have had a hard time bringing myself to keep watching... but I plan to finish, for sure.

1) Lynne has taken some kind of character turn where she has switched to the dark side or something. Maybe her years of abuse have triggered some survival mechanism that now has her operating from a place of pure evil, but I preferred her being a somewhat wholesome person.

2) Alan is always a cunt, but this time I feel like I can’t find a whole lot that makes me want to see him succeed. But (as far as I’ve seen in the first few episodes), he’s somehow succeeding, despite being a bigger cunt than usual. I couldn’t believe they offered him the permanent position after being such a massive fuckup. Especially seeing how much Jennie clearly hates his guts. Maybe it will all click in the last episode or something. Don’t tell me, either way.

3) Simon needs more. I love Simon but he’s been reduced to one repetitive bit that is the same in every episode. Again, hoping this will somehow click later.

4) This series feels most like Knowing Me Knowing You, but it isn’t anywhere near as silly, which bugs me. KMKY was probably my least favorite AP series up til now, but this new one has fallen far behind it, imo. Maybe there’s just something more painful than funny about watching Alan behave (with some exceptions) worse than before in a post-me-too world and being rewarded for it. Maybe that’s the comment that the show is trying to highlight, but it distances me.

5) Somewhat related to the last bit, I want to see more of the world outside of the show. It feels a bit stale seeing mostly a predictable format. In I’m Alan Partridge, I liked that we got to see more of his life, on his own or outside of the radio station.

6) I want it to be goofier.

Edited by J3FF3R00

I think perhaps your gripes may be with the format that they are trying to emulate, sticking with that whilst keeping it Partridge hasn’t been easy but I think they pulled it off. It definitely has goofy moments like when he sings the songs that lead into segments, and the lookalike alone made the series worthwhile. And whilst pricks like Pierce Morgan are being employed it’s not completely unfeasable that Partridge couldnt find work either.

• 2 years later...

OMFG. I binge-watched the entire thing a few days ago on a plane and found myself uncontrollably laughing like a fool multiple times. S2 is WAY better than S1, IMO. So fucking great. Can't wait for more.

• Like 1