IGNORED

Is Techno suitable for home listening?

Kidrodi

Used to listen to DJ sets mostly when I was a kid and had some favorite DJs like Jeff Mills, Cristian Vogel, Claude Young, even early (90s - ~2001) Richie Hawtin. So eclectic genre bending selections and flow mixing skills was the thing for me.

Heh same man, same. Hugely fun to mix up too, which I still do from time to time.

Still listen to harder techno mixes when I'm working and on the move. Gets boring quickly just sat around.

Dave Clarke is still one of the best techno DJs of all time for me. He really knows his stuff and has the skills to keep the music engaging and exciting. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Oh yeah I remember that, huge

I agree, techno and physical work are meant for each other. Moving furniture, painting rooms, chopping wood, you name it

You probably heard of this one too, then:

Surgeon was ableton-bender (still is I guess), a perfect storm.

my favourite Surgeon mix. (download enabled)

17:00 - 21:00 = fire.png 100.png clap.png

TIFYS is great but I find it a little all over the place.

^ Oh yeah I remember that, huge

I agree, techno and physical work are meant for each other. Moving furniture, painting rooms, chopping wood, you name it

You probably heard of this one too, then:

Surgeon was ableton-bender (still is I guess), a perfect storm.

Ooooff that's real nice! Another one to look forward to, thanks!

Still a vinyl jock fan but def appreciate how Ableton etc frees up DJs to incorporate non four-to-the-floor stuff without the risk of train wrecking.

Agree with JakeMandell about the flow being important. Too stop start isn't good with minimal techno. It's all about subtle changes - which perhaps is more appreciable, on a visceral level, when played loud.

Wicked! Had that on my ipod for ages.

Getting hard to find mixes available for dl on Soundcloud these days.

I listen to techno all the time. It often flows better when there aren't so many changes fighting for your attention. There is a lot of innovation happening right now in techno music.

Holy crap Jake Mandell! Your music rules!

I second that. What a cool discovery. Go give Jake a listen, plenty of lush warm oldschool IDM vibes there

sorry for being off topic

Cristian Vogel,

now yer talking, Brighton used to be Inter-Avinit central, first with TONKA Sound-System (ok a LOT more fluffy), then Vogel et al

listen to this @ home when food prep is stacked

house-sharing in the past caused a LOT of home listening exposure to mates & their Neil Landstrum record collections, that list is nigh on endless

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1118-Neil-Landstrumm

No Chris Liberator though, fuck that, you gotta draw the line somewhere

^ Neil Landstrumm, damn! Good shout! Love those Peacefrog releases of his.

Flol know what you mean about Chris Liberator. Free party acid techno beyond the pale for sure. Pretty sure he plays deece stuff these days though.

listen to this @ home when food prep is stacked

house-sharing in the past caused a LOT of home listening exposure to mates & their Neil Landstrum record collections, that list is nigh on endless

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1118-Neil-Landstrumm

yeah that's the bass, damn I've been out of the loop! thanks for the track, it sounds great, will look into more.

I was, I don't know, five years ago maybe, at a summer festival here in my home country, right between the mountains and rivers, awesome place

chris vogel was headlining and I have the most fond memories about that set, a whole another level of dandy funky stuff

if i could ever get the recording i'd share it in a heart-beat with you guys, but afaik it was never recorded (the festival was a smaller thing)

i know it's pointless to talk about it without audio, but..well :)

i have landstrumm's She took a bullet meant for me on vinyl, haven't heard it in years

I started with Beginning to Understand and All Music has Come to an End.

Thanks man, will check those out later. Checked discogs; the guy has certainly put out a ton of stuff over the years!

^ Still enjoy mentalist early 90s material when in the right mood.

https://soundcloud.com/dynamic-tension/surgeon-humanity-test-dj-mix

this mix is stunning, thanks for reminding me about it. Gets my thumbs up for hone listening, it helped with the washing up last night :)

sweet Surgeon mix U, cheers for that

for folks feeling Vogel & Landstrumm, Ibrahim Alfa (aka Ibi) was around Brighton sound systems & the more coherent end of the free-party techno scene

https://www.discogs.com/artist/8247-Ibrahim-Alfa?limit=500&page=1

he went awol for a few years, rumours came n went (bit like Gemini but v different reasons/outcomes), then dropped this beast of an lp, so good had to do a review of it

https://www.discogs.com/Ibrahim-Alfa-Hidden-By-The-Leaves/master/1036505

have played "Drifting" loooaaads prepping family's grub doing the bionic-man shuffle:

...& his instrumentals echo the ghosts of Cabaret Voltaire & the heights of Detroit:

If Amelie Lens can get as much positive feedback as she did for a video like this, then yes I would say Techno is suitable for home listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcVnqFxWMDM

its not exactly "exhibitionist" and I lost interest when she started playing with the cat, but some nice home listening tunes included

have you had your finger sucked by some random stranger, listening to techno, on top of a bus, outdoors, facemelting from illicit compounds, surrounded by the police?

0177_01slide.jpg

Salvy clearly has (top left).

Tangentially-related, this article finally made me accept the idea of techno being "functional" along with enjoyable

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3389

Considering techno a "generation past being new or exciting" is focused on the processes of making the music, and certain situations for listening to it. However, that also misses the experience of hearing techno in a specific environments (e.g. raves). That's a vital, formative experience for many in every generation, and justifies techno's continued existence as a modern artform, imo. The idea that newer generations should automatically find their own unique creation to have an experience similar to raving is half-baked, imo.

(p.s. I like Varg's music)

I have two questions for you:

Do you like techno?

Do you like listening to music at home?

If you answered 'yes' to both of these, techno is suitable for home listening for you. Otherwise, avoid this activity.

Archived