IGNORED

Living Homeless - In Alaska!

Joyrex

i can write a dozen essays about homeless alaskans i know who are a million times cooler than that guy in a heartbeat mate

Cooler..... Lol

(Because it's cold in alaska :D )

pretty much reads like ted kaczynski- minus the anger towards universities and scientists. my favorite line:

"i live like this in protest of our consumer society. i find it more fulfilling, more authentic, less stress – on the planet and on my brain."

i have to admit, i once lived sort-of-like this. i was taken in by the navajo nation and lived in their reservation in an RV. i had nothing but clothes that could fit in a backpack and a book some lady had given me when i lived in a hostel in the city. it really did feel liberating, and my only worries were making sure i'd show up to work on time and what to have for dinner that night. 

i wonder why he doesn't contact this family- but i'm guessing that might create some complications with only one female to go around 

This sounds to me like more or less a modern transcendentalist venture. Same idea overall that Henry David Thoreau exercised at Walden Pond in the late 1840s I think.

Anyway, I can tell right off the bat that he's taking a couple of jabs at the Anchorage vagrant variety of homeless Alaskans, although whether their circumstances are voluntary or not isn't clear. But I'm assuming he's had at least some survival training from his time in the Navy. His brutally honest details of his lifestyle are about as Alaskan as you can get. ("I CAN PEE ANY-H'WERE I WANT, GAWDAMMIT") But while he cautions on sources of drinking water as part of his survival advice, he also seems to use these same water sources for hygiene in more personal body regions.

honestly though, lifestyle he's talking about is pretty much the norm for a huge amount of people outside of Fairbanks city proper. tons of my friends and people i know are poor and have to live in dry cabins and use woodstoves and generators. goldstream valley bitches

it's okay, but it takes a lot of stamina. but yea as i said for a lot of people it's just the only option. there aren't enough rental properties here and greedy property developers just plop down a few cabins and charge 600+ a month...no plumbing, heat & electricity not included.

This sounds to me like more or less a modern transcendentalist venture. Same idea overall that Henry David Thoreau exercised at Walden Pond in the late 1840s I think.

Anyway, I can tell right off the bat that he's taking a couple of jabs at the Anchorage vagrant variety of homeless Alaskans, although whether their circumstances are voluntary or not isn't clear. But I'm assuming he's had at least some survival training from his time in the Navy. His brutally honest details of his lifestyle are about as Alaskan as you can get. ("I CAN PEE ANY-H'WERE I WANT, GAWDAMMIT") But while he cautions on sources of drinking water as part of his survival advice, he also seems to use these same water sources for hygiene in more personal body regions.

Been at Walden Pond a few days ago. I saw a lot of "don't do ... " signs and fences. Strange experience given the history of that place and for me as a European.

honestly though, lifestyle he's talking about is pretty much the norm for a huge amount of people outside of Fairbanks city proper. tons of my friends and people i know are poor and have to live in dry cabins and use woodstoves and generators. goldstream valley bitches

Doesn't every Alaskan citizen get an oil profits stipend? I know it's not enough to live on, but surely that helps a bit...

We have a homeless guy here on WATMM, don't we?

Cryptowan or whatever his name is.

Cryptowen, but he hasn't posted in a few months has he? After he had some problems at his job and wrote some pretty bleak things regarding that?

I'm pretty much homeless also.. if it means without a permanent residence. I'm just staying mostly in guesthouses, etc. Occasionally with friends and family. But it's all voluntary. I could get an apartment anytime but I'm just cutting costs. Cryptowen is leading a much harsher life style even though it was voluntary also as far as I know? I hope he's ok..

Yeah I dunno what's become of Crypto. He's been MIA for a while I think.

TBH Alaska is a shitty place to be homeless this time of year. You'll literally freeze to death if you sleep outside.

Archived