IGNORED

Win Two Tickets To See Aphex Twin in New York City

Joyrex

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Within my lexicon of musical taste many artists have come and gone- some who were important to me in the '90ies would only be mentioned as a footnote/curio now.

RDJ was not only a gateway for me, but an enduring artistic figure since I discovered his work and thereafter. I am, unabashedly, an über-fan of all his work and will ceaselessly pursue every morsel of his output available! Few artists conjure this manner of obsessive vigour in me and he stands near the very top of that shortlist.

I'd take any opportunity available to see what he has in store at a live event! I'd be happy with most anything he played but my heart yearns for the drukQs days of frenetic, detailed breaks and paranoid melodies!

Pls Phather Joyrex make my dreams a reality!!!

EDIT: Oh and I've never been to NYC so that would be quite good.

i flew to berlin to see aphex so making the trip to new york is within the realm of possibility. if i can get tickets of course. i want to hear phonatacid live, or maybe halibut acid. and i would give the extra ticket to my friend who missed dfn 2016 :)

Wow - very generous of you!

I'd love to take the wife to be. We talked before about flying to the UK to meetup with some of the watmm crew to see Aphex live, I had half joked on discord that I'd propose at an event like that lol. That's one of our major rituals after a long week of work/school etc - we get some food going, some music, and just enjoy each other's company. TBH over the last 13 years that is one of the things we've always had together - finding new artists, getting a bit out of sorts (drinks, wacky tobacky and so on), and going on our little journeys through albums. One of the first artists I had shown her was the phex'. 

Ok this isn't romantic or anything but when I first ran into her again (we "dated" in Jr High, only to not see each other or talk at all through high school), I had just found Aphex (RDJ album) for the first time by randomly grabbing an album of his from the "Electronic" section at A&B sound and I was on the bus to go show my brother these WTF sounds. She had just BARELY caught the bus (was all out of breath from running for it) and when I saw her we just exchanged numbers and the rest is 13 years of history.

This would be a really cool way of celebratin' and maybe uh you know. Asking a really important question of her. =O. (She knows its coming soon anyway lol)

edit: oh and it's both of our 30th birthdays this year so what better way to celebrate then by something like this!

Even if we didn't win tix I might still look into flying out. Not too often the phex' plays close enough that plane tickets are reasonably priced. $900 round trip total for two people.

I may not have the most posts here but I'm a constant lurker, Brooklyn-resident and Aphex fan of about 12 years now. Seeing Aphex Twin would be a dream come true for me. He's a bucket-list act that I had never even included on my bucket-list because the idea of seeing him live seemed so unrealistic until this week.

I'd love to hear anything from Drukqs played at this show, like how he dropped Vordhosbn live in Berlin, but really I'm just looking forward to hearing the set he puts together and combing through the artist ID's once it's over.

I'm also hoping he sells those subway map collapse posters at the show because they are a thing of beauty, I tracked down the Williamsburg location while the glue was still wet on Sunday to try to peel one off for myself to no luck.

Thanks for doing this & best of luck to everyone!

This is nice. To me AFX embodies pretty much everything I want to hear in music (sort of like perfect music in a way), and someone I really look up to while making my own tracks. Although I'm just a guy with a cracked daw and a bunch of plug-ins the idea that someone might have a similar outlook on music is inspiring. I think he might be the sole reason I'm still making music after 12 years.

Never been to Yew Nork too, would love to take an opportunity to visit. I don't care much about the tracks he might be playing (I'm fine with old acid and jungle tunes), the experience is what matters.

My love for the Aphex Twin and his music has fueled me in the creation of my own music. For years now, I've been listening to his music. He has brought immense amounts of joy into my life. I want to fly to NYC and see him perform. It's three days after my birthday. I'm going anyways. Winning these tickets would be a wonderful birthday present.

Def a daily lurker here so it takes free tix for my snake ass to come from out the shade of the rock.

I hope he plays some of that sweet rob kidley material. (Not to make this thread 25+ pages but steinvord: no; heorge garrison: maybe a collab; rob kidley no doubt that’s him and Jodey :))

Sort of interesting to see how many folks here are either a)Brooklyn natives or b)have never been to NY but want to go. I lived in Brooklyn for a little bit (Sunset Park area, back in pre-gentrified days. Little scary actually - headphones actually seemed to help. Those days blasting either WAP 155/DYKS or Drukqs). 

Anyway, would pretty much be a dream come true to see Aphex, particularly in a non-festival venue (festivals are so overcrowded as to be painful). Far and away my favorite artist of all time and, with a kid due end of April + work + graduate school. ... well, this might be the last time I would have the chance to see him (unless he comes to North Carolina which is like hoping that the Haley Bopp Comet with carry you away to Nirvana). My sis lives in NY so it would also be a nice way to check in w/ her and my niece (who I don't see as often as I'd like). 

Oh, right, this is also friggin' AWESOME. Regardless of who gets this this is really such a kindness. Thanks to JR and Warp for making this happen, truly beautiful. 

I don’t like big festivals so this is my best chance at seeing him, especially on the east coast since I doubt he’ll ever come to a shithole like Philly

Agreed.  This is one of those things where I'm probably going to skip it because I can't really afford the tickets and bolt bus and lodging etc, then spend the rest of my life going "damnit, why didn't I figure out some way to go". Cheers Joyrex for doing this. :)

Wouldn't mind a chance at winning.  I got to see him in Houston and it was a great show, but two days after I saw him play I came home to a surprise death.  So a reset on the whole thing would be nice as the memories are muddied. 

Archived