IGNORED

James Blake - Assume Form

Salvatorin

He ruined the OPN album with this approach.

glad to see we've an insider from OPN's studio who knows how the creative process behind Age Of went. Got any stories to share?

opn namedropped him in multiple interviews around age of as helping with the production and encouraging him to reduce tracks down to their core ideas. 

glad to see we've an insider from OPN's studio who knows how the creative process behind Age Of went. Got any stories to share?

opn namedropped him in multiple interviews around age of as helping with the production and encouraging him to reduce tracks down to their core ideas.

What did it sound like before?

This is what I was referring to. Thanks 

What did it sound like before?

Some of the very early marketing and quotes for Age Of talked about it being a concept album about the history of computer music, which seems consistent with all of OPN's other LPs more or less being concept albums as well. Age Of turns out to not really be that at all and Daniel talks about how James Blake shaped the production and tracklist of the album. A lot of first hand accounts from the Myriad live shows describe a more elaborate arrangement of the music from Age Of (and the later EPs). 

There's no objective account here, I just liked the concept album format of a lot of OPN's releases, and was bummed that Age Of wasn't that. But you sure got me with that "What does he smell like?" zinger!

It's still dumb saying Blake "ruined Age Of". It's not like he took the albums from Lopatin's hands and handed a remixed version to Warp. Or as if Lopatin didn't have the final say.

• 1 month later...

James Blake kinda peaked before his debut full-length imo, first few EPs and the split with Airhead were great and then... meh. I like his older dubsteppy stuff a LOT more than his recent stuff. That "if the car behind you moves ahead" track was garbage, and I can't expect this is any better.

I miss this sound:

this is average af imo haha. I think the new album sounds far more interesting, I agree If The Car Behind was boring though.

I'll Come Too, Can't Believe The Way We Flow, and Barefoot In The Park were standouts for me.

Archived