IGNORED

teenage engineering goes modular

YangYing

Shiiiiet that's some clever move. Seems easier to expand than the other "cheap" modular system (thinking of the volca modular especially of course).

Now if only all those newcomers could lead to less expansive regular eurorack modules...

details here

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po/modular

edit: man im on my 3d year doing engineering physics in sweden, I think there's a very real possibility I could get to work w em.. would b really fun

te seems like a really fuckin' cool company to work for. not interested in modular but these look really cool for someone who is

Lol @ the 400 rear handle "great to explore sounds in the nature". What's the deal with modular marketing? The official Korg demo takes place in a forest as well haha

“THE MODULES HAVE NO REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION. MAKE SURE TO WIRE THINGS CORRECTLY TO AVOID DAMAGING THE UNIT AND VOID WARRANTY!”

lol

Well, that's one way to kill the second hand market for these and ensure that people buy new.

Good move, keen to see what it can do.

If I ever bite the bullet and go modular, i would probably dive straight into eurorack though as this would possibly have limited longevity unless it's going to be supported for a while with new modules over time

Good move, keen to see what it can do.

If I ever bite the bullet and go modular, i would probably dive straight into eurorack though as this would possibly have limited longevity unless it's going to be supported for a while with new modules over time

"finally, all boards fits in a eurorack.*

I know this isn't the "explain me like I'm five" subreddit but if somebody has the time to explain what reverse polarity is I'd be glad!

Is it something that can happen when you patch things without knowing much or when you actually build the system and turn it on?

I know this isn't the "explain me like I'm five" subreddit but if somebody has the time to explain what reverse polarity is I'd be glad!

Is it something that can happen when you patch things without knowing much or when you actually build the system and turn it on?

electricity is supposed to go from the entrance to the exit

reverse polarity is when electricity goes from exit to entrance (for example plugging the battery the wrong way around, mixing up + and -), thus fucking up the circuit

some (most) electronics have security measures against reverse polarity fuckups, but these modulars dont

I'm not an EE expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt but this is my understading of what it is

there's two way it can happen in eurorack : first, during the module installation , if you plug the connector of the ribbon cable upside down > module is fried and there's no protection against that as far as I know. It can happen more rarely during patching (rarely because most modules are protected against it) for example if you plug an osc output to another output (correct me if I'm wrong because this never happened to me) 

Reverse polarity is when you install the modules and you wire up the positive to where the negative should be. Not having protections against this isn't uncommon in Eurorack (though quality manufacturers usually provide it).

Connecting an output to another output doesn't cause problems with polarity (usually) but with, uhm, outputs not wanting to be connected to another output. The only modules that break when you do this are the ones you build (and design!) yourself, normally speaking.

Archived