IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Fear in a Handful of Dust

ghOsty

There was a bunch of non-album tracks he gave out on his website as part of the Monthly Joint series around Foley Room era, some of those were bangers...

Thanks for sharing this.

Yeah, the monthly joint series is amazing. Quality approaching album proper! If you haven't heard all of those tracks please dig in. Particularly Shutdown, Technique, and Hey Mr Tree - for whatever reason massive Tipper vibes throughout. 

Highly recommended. 

His first few records were some of the finest album art I had at the time, especially permutation.  This new track offered sounds okay.  What I really like is the tone of it is reminiscent of classic Amon.  There's a tinge of jazz & darkness to it that I'm hoping is just a nibble of what's to come from the rest of the album.  I give it a 45% chance it goes that way.  

he's uhh... always had shitty covers.

lol, you have to admit this. all the early classics have some awful art. thankfully it's little reflection on the music.

whaat, the early/mid stuff has some of the best art of that period. especially adventures in foam through permutation. way more understated and unique compared to similar stuff in the 90s. see my photo/post on pg2 of this thread, the physical sleeve has a shiny block print (ala what autechre did with draft 7.30) which looks awesome in person

neh, it's not really appealing to me. it's probably a bit better when you're holding and looking at the actual physical item, but to me the art itself is kind of cheap looking.

had to bike back to show off another physical to try to change your mind. similar to the 'stretched and chopped' thing autechre were doing on incunabula.  but its a single from bicolage so it mixes up the photo from the bricolage cover. and the gold layer is some kind of shiny ink overlay

OU0FtWf.jpg

plus other side

ODO0ht9.jpg

Edited by Marked x 0ne

I've never seen that before. Mission single?

yep.  4 ton mantis single/ep, pirhana breaks ep also have dope art.  scored a lot of early amon tobin on the cheap from Other Music in nyc when they were still around (RIP)

Edited by Marked x 0ne

Any thoughts on that first track? I thought it was kind of weak.

yea not v memorable, still sounds kinda amon tobin tho.. I'm curious how the rest will turn out

It def sounded like Tobin to me! Just not memorable like you said. Tobin-lite.

I have a feeling most of the record is going to be similar, based on the bpms someone posted I'm thinking this is tobin-ambientish stuff.

Just came across it on Spotify. It's quite pretty, without any annoying bits, unlike the opening track on Isam.

Cautiously optimistic.

• 3 weeks later...

Best question and answer so far:

Q: “You said on a Songtrust interview that you are working on seven different projects this year under different musical aliases. Will we perhaps see a return of Cujo?”

A: “1. Amon Tobin

2. Two Fingers

3. Only Child Tyrant

All coming out soon on Nomark, the rest will follow. Can't wait!”

• 3 weeks later...

Well for those who wanted a more jazzy, old school drum&bass style... it's pretty much the opposite : bippyty-bloop-buzz atmospheric soundscapes.  There is not one track that is percusive-style.