IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Fear in a Handful of Dust

ghOsty

Well for those who wanted a more jazzy, old school drum&bass style... it's pretty much the opposite : bippyty-bloop-buzz atmospheric soundscapes.  There is not one track that is percusive-style.

How do you know? Isn't this supposed to be released in 14 days?

Well for those who wanted a more jazzy, old school drum&bass style... it's pretty much the opposite : bippyty-bloop-buzz atmospheric soundscapes.  There is not one track that is percusive-style.

That's a shame. 

I'll probably pass.

The latest issue of Electronic Sound magazine has an interview with him, and describes it as a new kind of musique concrete where he tries to focus on one type of sound production rather than a dance record of various ideas.

Heard this in full at a listening session in London last night - no 'beats' per se, and plays off some of the sound design techniques on ISAM, but this time with a bit more fun and melody. The longest central track was the standout, loads of interesting physical modelling/string pluck stuff with nice textures, but those looking for rhythms/beats will be disappointed.

Looks like he's doing a Two Fingers release this year though, which will probably satisfy.

I generally enjoy his music from throughout his career, so am feeling quite stoked for this, really.

so it's pretty....like, really pretty. But it certainly lacks 'beats'. I guess after this long it's not exactly what I expected but I like it for what it is. I think Bricolage/Permutation/Supermodified/OFOW Tobin are long gone, and that's ok. Those are timeless albums. 

I'll be listening to this quite a bit, it definitely has it's own mood. Nice wind-down/late night album. 

So... it's out today. Still on the fence as to whether I'll buy/listen to this.

Initial thoughts/reviews are what I suspected.  

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Really enjoying this! Lots of noodly intricacy and melodic touches that keep my ears interested.

I'm pleased he's left the beats off and there's a new Two Fingers release in the works which should satisfy that craving.

I found this album so boring I was unable to finish it. That is all.

I'll try to purchase the required toolset.