IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Fear in a Handful of Dust

ghOsty

For the record Foley Room is a top notch AT album; isam, not so much

Adventures in Foam

Bricolage

Permutation

Supermodified

are solid gold. everything after that a bit less so, then isam dropped the ball. imo.

agreed that it feels like ages since we've heard from him. exciting news!!

add Out From Outwhere to that. That album is A+

Agreed. Searchers alone is a devastating track. Excited for this release even though I wasn't as hot on the last two either.

I've always found Tobin a bit frustrating. Some of his tunes are brilliant and they're pretty much all amazing on a technical level but there's usually something missing for me. Foley Room was the most emblematic of that, really great sounds but nothing really driving the tunes forward that much. Will probably check this out but I still haven't heard ISAM

lol?

Chaos Theory was fucking excellent. Supermodified was my fave album for years, but Chaos Theory soundtrack is the one I still come back to all the time. There were extra bangers in the game that didn't make it onto the release

The percussion from 5.25 in this one, fuccccc

Anyway looking forward to the new one

^ nice!  I need to revisit this again, never played the game but the soundtrack release holds up great as an album.

Guys don't forget:

https://ninjatune.net/release/various-artists/solid-steel-presents-amon-tobin

One of my favorite mixes ever.

Yes! Still have this on CD, it's a damn good mix, should revisit it's been years.

it was one of Amon's mixes that made me finally sit up and appreciate the art of mixing.

A little bit of esoterica, they presented this mix on the solid steel radio show back in 2004 to promote its official release, only it's different version of the set.  I dunno whether it was an alternative recording from another live show on the tour or what, IIRC sometimes they'd broadcast the version that the artist originally intended (with the tracks that they couldn't get licensed for the commercial release - like the Voodoo Child lick in this case).  Anyway you can listen below, tracklist and (non-)description in the link:

http://solidsteel.net/broadcasts/997

Sorry watmm but I thought I downloaded the whole thing back when it was available as such, angery at myself for only getting the first hour (whole thing is over 90 mins)

Chaos Theory was fucking excellent. Supermodified was my fave album for years, but Chaos Theory soundtrack is the one I still come back to all the time. There were extra bangers in the game that didn't make it onto the release

The percussion from 5.25 in this one, fuccccc

Anyway looking forward to the new one

It's so god damn good!

tumblr_ns43ncASkp1svgg3co1_500.gif

I've always found Tobin a bit frustrating. Some of his tunes are brilliant and they're pretty much all amazing on a technical level but there's usually something missing for me. Foley Room was the most emblematic of that, really great sounds but nothing really driving the tunes forward that much. Will probably check this out but I still haven't heard ISAM

lol?

yeah this exactly, right down to having not yet bothered with ISAM. Permutations is his only truly great album imo, Supermodified is pretty good though.

Edited by mushroom

@Xyrofen; Generally dig those albums as well, just not as much as his other albums that do it for me.  Plenty of love in this thread, I dont think anyone has or can shit on all of amon tobin's work ;)

Currently spinning Permutation for the first time in a while; I actually forgot that the sleeve has a printed gloss-layer (something also done on the physical editions of autechre albums, at least Draft7.30). Hard to capture in photos but tried here

ayuFLOO.jpg

Edited by Marked x 0ne

I've always enjoyed Permutations a little more than Supermodified, I think the overall jazziness to the breaks gives it that extra edge for me. Both great albums though

Permutations and Supermodified are both brilliant, but I'd give the edge to the latter. 

Supermodified has a more varied palette of sounds and the first three tracks comprise the best opening an album could ever ask for. Its variety though, is why it's weaker than its predecessor. Permutation really delves into the jazzy drum n bass sound that he subsequently left behind with Supermodified and beyond, and it's this sound that serves his loopy sample-based technique best.

Permutation has a nice, dark mood to it too. it was the first thing I'd ever heard from him, starting right with that grimy Like Regular Chickens opening and the Eraserhead sample. pulled me in straight away.

still think Supermodified edges it out though. Slowly is his greatest moment imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgfcCTdZZsE

Permutation has a nice, dark mood to it too. it was the first thing I'd ever heard from him, starting right with that grimy Like Regular Chickens opening and the Eraserhead sample. pulled me in straight away.

bricolage is my favorite overall album from him, but like regular chickens absolutely floored me the first time i heard it. every single sound is perfectly placed in that tune. amon doesnt get enough love 

Edited by roberto

the late 90s early 00s were generally a good time for ninja tune innit?  They had a core group of artists releasing great albums (tobin, mr scruff, kid koala, wagon christ, bonobo, blockhead, etc) It seems that there was a sense of exchange and one-upmanship within the label, something lacking with their more sprawling approach these days.

Edited by Marked x 0ne