IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Fear in a Handful of Dust

ghOsty

those late 90s early 00s albums were generally a good time for ninja tune innit? They had a core group of artists releasing great albums (tobin, mr scruff, kid koala, wagon christ, bonobo, blockhead, etc) It seems that there was a sense of exchange and one-upmanship within the label, something lacking with their more sprawling approach these days.

Totally agreed. That was also the time Cinematic Orchestra was still putting out great tunes. And DJ Food released Kaliedoscope and some great Solid Steel mixes. Some legendary stuff released by Ninja in those years.

I got to see it randomly as my friends' band opened the Outside Lands festival back in 2015. They gave me an artist pass for the entire weekend (which has spoiled any festival for me for eternity).

There was a bunch of non-album tracks he gave out on his website as part of the Monthly Joint series around Foley Room era, some of those were bangers...

I prefer his older stuff too but his ISAM tours looked insane. Wish I would’ve gone to see one of them

Yeah, in that way Tobin reminds me of Squarepusher: the radness of their live shows progressed in inverse relation to my enjoyment of their new material. (Meanwhile these days Ae just turns out all the lights, lets the laptops do the skritching, & yet still puts on as amazon a show as ever, so… ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯)

Edited by doorjamb

he sounds like moby 

lol.  When i spun Permutation last night, everytime it leaned towards '90's parkour-runners advert music' it somehow retained JUST enough freshness to balance the cheese.  If there were a line in the sand between me and moby-ness, amon would be tip-toeing all up on that line.