Amon Tobin - Fear in a Handful of Dust

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how many great musicians must be destroyed by eurorack?!?

lmao

every electronic musician faces two paths to hell: modular or vocals

Posted Images

Sounds fine. Back in the 90s when I pulled out any of this music people reacted to it like it was pointless noise from another planet, so I'm glad to see he is not taking it easy. I'll figure out how much I like it after a few more listens

On 4/14/2019 at 1:18 PM, Soloman Tump said:

The latest issue of Electronic Sound magazine has an interview with him, and describes it as a new kind of musique concrete where he tries to focus on one type of sound production rather than a dance record of various ideas.

I was wondering if I was missing some sort of concept behind the album. I'll have to listen to it again with this in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Just trotskied in to say that I'm quite digging this album, his composition (songcraft?) powers that were sorely lax on isam are back in full effect imo.  It's a refreshing palette of timbres he's working with too - one of the things I loved about his post-Supermodifed run is that he had by then established a fully trademarkable my-fucking-sound yet continued to unfurl and evolve it in new and interesting directions.  This feels like such an excursion but into a parallel Tobin universe.

Also how is it that no one has yet shoppe'd ye olde cover album with various peekers-out from behind the trees in the background, like some wildlings or creepy corporate meme guy?    

Edited by BobDobalina
46 minutes ago, lawrenke said:

new Two Fingers track 

this feels more like old clark than amon tobin but eh.. its ok

gonne give the album a listen soonish

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, BobDobalina said:

For the record Foley Room is a top notch AT album; isam, not so much

I'm a year late, but I agree. Foley Room has some of his greatest tunes, and ISAM I might've been too harsh on first listen, but a bit too messy for me. Kitty Cat is a bop tho

On 1/19/2019 at 11:14 AM, dr lopez said:

yes yes it's true. his 11 year run from adventures to foley room are absolutely essential, canonical. 

damn this is a good post lol

• Like 1
8 hours ago, nikisoko said:

The latest Ghostcards EP made in collaboration with Thijs from Noisia if fucking brilliant - and so was Fear in a Handful of Dust and Long Stories.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 8:18 AM, nikisoko said:

every electronic musician faces two paths to hell: modular or vocals

• Like 2

Yeah I miss being young but Bricolage is a much better album IMHO.

Maybe doesn't have as much cutting edge sound design or whatever but I reckon Amon is much better at sample collage than making his own stuff. Similar to DJ Shadow in that respect.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

Yeah I miss being young but Bricolage is a much better album IMHO.

Maybe doesn't have as much cutting edge sound design or whatever but I reckon Amon is much better at sample collage than making his own stuff. Similar to DJ Shadow in that respect.

i generally agree though I think amon's newer stuff is wayyyy stronger than new shadow.  i do think the last few albums that have been heavy on modular and/or using "sample mapped" samples instead of phrase samples are quite good. i just prefer his older stuff overall.