IGNORED

What are your go-to filters?

o00o

Akai MFC42 is the only good analog filter I have so it's the one I usually use, unless you count the mid band on the Soundcraft EPM-8's channel EQs.

Used to use the filter in my old Realistic MG-1 before I traded it, and technically I have a Wasp filter in the Jasper synth I guilt last year but I haven't really used it much with external sources yet, other than feeding it back into itself (which doesn't actually work that well compared to most filters I've used)

The Arturia Microbrute's multi-mode filter is always the one I like going back to for external signals. A whole lot of character, and the Brute Factor is the coolest filter drive stage I've ever heard.

Moogerfooger LPF is lovely, of course. Also, the drive function is the secret.

The Elekron Analog Heat has a great multi-mode filter with a very strong resonance, you can get some insane "sweet spot" sub tones with this. 

As Squee mentioned, Fabfilter's Q2 is great for accentuating certain frequencies. I also have a Behringer T1951 with replaced tubes (put some old Sylvania's in them) that's fun to accentuate mid-range stuff.

My favorite filter is and has been the one on 'harmor'. Most unique filter I think due to it being stuck on the synth, however harmor is the most unique synth as well. Once you figure out that you can set the filter/pan/volume... (or really most parameters) to do different things on each of it's 9 voices in different ways and since it's all connected it feels apart of one thing, the sky becomes the limit with that synth.

I've been trying out these third party filters but I just don't get the same feeling as I do from harmor filter. Once you figure out how to use

That said I am a fan of "lfotool" by xfer https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool
Due to it's simplicity and variety and uniqueness of filter. Though honestly some of the third party filters on display here seem better if you want more automation potential.

Man that looks like one cool filter

https://www.tone2.com/filterbank3.html

For effect, I use this one. It's a wee bit cheap sounding, but it has versatility and incredible automation capabilities that I use heavily. I use it a lot to turn real instruments and sampled instruments into synth-sounding material.

For mixing, I usually use the stock ones in Renoise and Cool Edit. They're FINE.

Ekdahl Moisturizer. 

i had one of these for quite a while but sold in a big gear sell off years aback.. i miss it. it really is quite amazing. each circuit in that thing is excellent. the input and out put gain stages by themselves offer a really nice saturation/distortion.  just topen the filter all the way and take the reverb out. it's kind of amazing. the filter by itself is also brilliant. being able to modulate the filter type smoothly is not a common feature. going from LP/BP/HP with a slow fade is great for feeding the springs.. it's a unique processor. 

as for filters.. other than stuff in the modular and internal filters in desktop synths i use cytomic The Drop _A LOT_ for all kinds of things.. from subtle to drastic it sounds good at every turn and has some unique modulators. it's got the best sound quality of any software filter i've used including sound toys stuff which is also good but cytomic is a cut above everything else imo. 

cableguys.de filtershaper is handy and pretty good for beat sync'd stuff. the filters do sound nice. 

u-he filterscape is great for a FSU processor

fabfilter Volcano 2 gets used less often these days but it's still good. 

Ohmforce QuadFrohmage is still sounding really good too

psp N2O is also a good FSU processor but is less fun to use.. i find the interface fiddly but it's got some weirdness ready to tapped. 

i had one of these for quite a while but sold in a big gear sell off years aback.. i miss it. it really is quite amazing. each circuit in that thing is excellent. the input and out put gain stages by themselves offer a really nice saturation/distortion.  just topen the filter all the way and take the reverb out. it's kind of amazing. the filter by itself is also brilliant. being able to modulate the filter type smoothly is not a common feature. going from LP/BP/HP with a slow fade is great for feeding the springs.. it's a unique processor. 

I was initially pretty disappointed with it as a spring reverb. But I have grown to love it as a unique filter/overdrive with a muddy spring at the end. And actually I often use it now with the reverb mix at 100% because it creates some really unique atmospheres. I agree that being able to modulate the filter mode is very cool.

I would like to get it modded, being able to switch the filter stage to before the spring would be a nice feature, plus a feedback knob and all the other wacky shit. 

The mojoest filters I have are the crusty Curtis LPFs in my 36-year-old Mirage. At low-medium levels the resonant peak is wide enough and retains enough definition to use as a high boost with a narrow-moderate bandwidth, and it really makes those crusty 8-bit samples sparkle. 

I really don't give a shit, though, my pile of cheap-to-middlin' gear/software all has perfectly adequate filters.

Archived