IGNORED

Aphex Twin, Festival Ceremonia, México. April 6 2019

markedone

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, Neto and I arrived via the same bus and had grand time hanging out!  I wasnt checking online channels to meet up with others from watmm, but im sure you guys were there during aphex!

Neto, Adriana y yo nos encantó charlar, comer, y disfrutar el dia contigo.  Que lastima esa en j hopkins, espero que fue tan fuerte el poder de afx y al final todo esta bien  :ok:

ohh man, I also had a great time meeting you!!!

indeed, too bad I lost my wallet during Jon Hopkins, I lost some transport cards, credentials, few money and debit card (I cancelled it arriving home) but hey, it was an amazing Aphex show, his set really surpassed my expectations

thanks for the cash, I bought a new metrobus card immediatly ohhh and thanks for the picture too!!!!   long live to watmm!!   :w00t:

2 pics i snagged of the booths, prices in mxn.  The record spot had the posters, i asked if i could buy one and they said only giving them away with record purchase :(  Maybe later in the night they were selling or giving away the extras..  But again, the merch booth was super far away from the stage he played so i didnt go back

vVrDBmV.jpg

mv3bHMV.jpg

Bonus, pic of neto and i right before this crazy dust storm rolled through and we had to take cover, hope its cool i post it :)))

OSN43Bu.jpg

So the posters were giveaways with record purchases...

400 MXN is about 22 bucks - not bad for a shirt

!!!

Tha shit!!!!!

with 15 minutes left of the set

:aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign:

I like the video's message in the lower right corner

REAL EYES

REALIZE

REAL LIES

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/23748

This article is cringy as fuck.

edit: RA is such a fucking joke...

She posted on twitter with a bigger hot take https://twitter.com/MichelleLhooq/status/1115636154362150912

I can't help but laugh this off. It's so selectively cynical and miffed in tone. Oh my, hot takes from a young writer who mostly does weed-oriented journalism. We've all done this kind of insipid ranting, just via forums and not music outlet articles. If we had twitter / insta accounts in the late 90s / early 00s this kind of shit would of been rampant from writers back then too. 

I remember RA disabled comment sections because of shitty edgelord comments but it's now preventing any reasonable scoffing from readers as well.

Also, was anyone saying this stuff when he played DFN? Setlist was similar, festival was similar, etc.

While it was refreshing to hear such wildly challenging tracks during a main stage headline performance, it was impossible to ignore the inherent inequality of a high-earning artist playing songs by underground producers who earn a sliver of his income and remain uncredited (except on Reddit and SoundCloud comments), since Aphex Twin hasn't posted his tracklist.

I think the merits of him not posting DJ setlists are arguable - he maintains the trainspotting tradition of rave culture and the days of white label 12"

I would point out that the publicity producers get from being played in an Aphex Twin set is substantial. I'm sure many have been glossed over by FACT and RA. It seems more earnest to DJ obscure gems than just get paid an alleged $1 mill for hitting "play" on his SAWI tracks at 60% speed with some new percussion. Most EDM DJs getting paid six figures are playing tracks by other successful EDM artists or doing paint by numbers MIDI sets of their own material. I can't think of another electronic artist with the notoriety and fame of RDJ going out of his or her way to play such overlooked music.

Luckily, there were moments of real transgression and transcendence to be found in other corners of the festival—especially in the tent curated by the local queer collective Traición

so AFX has to be queer to be relevant transcendent? fucking lol

so AFX has to be queer to be relevant transcendent?

He also has to insert lasers into his anus. Laser shows are old hat, unless they emanate from a gay man's anus.

t. Music Journalism

Man what a good show. I stayed out of the center this time and posted up at the sound board. Best seat in the house, in my opinion.

I also really enjoyed DJ Koze and Modeselektor. I really didn't intend to enjoy their sets as much as I did.

While it was refreshing to hear such wildly challenging tracks during a main stage headline performance, it was impossible to ignore the inherent inequality of a high-earning artist playing songs by underground producers who earn a sliver of his income and remain uncredited (except on Reddit and SoundCloud comments), since Aphex Twin hasn't posted his tracklist.

I think the merits of him not posting DJ setlists are arguable - he maintains the trainspotting tradition of rave culture and the days of white label 12"

I would point out that the publicity producers get from being played in an Aphex Twin set is substantial. I'm sure many have been glossed over by FACT and RA. It seems more earnest to DJ obscure gems than just get paid an alleged $1 mill for hitting "play" on his SAWI tracks at 60% speed with some new percussion. Most EDM DJs getting paid six figures are playing tracks by other successful EDM artists or doing paint by numbers MIDI sets of their own material. I can't think of another electronic artist with the notoriety and fame of RDJ going out of his or her way to play such overlooked music.

I have no interest in reading that article, but it sounds like they're pissed that he's not playing popular tracks? What the fuck? RDJ is obviously aware of the status he has, so he's trying to elevate the rest of the scene. I assume he respects good music/art wherever he finds it, so he tries to help out the super talented little guys. That kind of exposure obviously can make someone's career (coughrolandosimmonscough).

Or he just plays shit he likes. Sheesh.

Archived