IGNORED

I just cannot get into Syro

ulul

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

syro has very slowly grown on me in the last two years after initially feeling cold towards it. earth portal was the track that did it for me and made me go back and try harder with it, xmas eve, papat4 and cirklont14 are all fantastic imo and I still listen regularly. 

druqks overall never worked for me, sounds too tinny and frantic apart from a few obvious standouts I just find it hard work to listen to. Analord series is the afx release i've listened to the most over the years. 

i almost prefer to think of this all as like separate in a way

first 4 tracks: cop show dad funk EP

180db + PAPAT: SAW1 era callbacks

circlonts/syro: NEXT LEVEL APHEX JAMES EP

earth portal/aisatana: drukqs vibes

Syro is cool

But he'll never make another flim or rhubarb

Probably

I can relate to this. I think if Syro had had one track that measured up to his peaks I wouldn't be giving out about it. The pattern I always found in Aphex albums is that there's at least one stunning masterpiece, and then for the rest of the tracklist he's just seriously good. The lack of such a track on Syro just makes it frustrating because nothing on the album never gets anywhere near his best.

Syro is cool

But he'll never make another flim or rhubarb

Probably

I can relate to this. I think if Syro had had one track that measured up to his peaks I wouldn't be giving out about it. The pattern I always found in Aphex albums is that there's at least one stunning masterpiece, and then for the rest of the tracklist he's just seriously good. The lack of such a track on Syro just makes it frustrating because nothing on the album never gets anywhere near his best.

XMAS_EVET10 [Thanaton3 mix]  :rhubear1:   :rhubear2:  :rhubear3: 

try reading the rules while listening to this track at excessive decibel levels and maybe itll click

autism. that's why.

Syro is a stream of consciousness/through-piece way of composing music. It's very colorful and often plays with contradicting sound palettes.

The fact that each track was recorded in one take is evidence enough to be impressed with it.

well no, because I'm too autistic to just sit back and appreciate something unless it conforms exactly to my expectations.

hmmm i'm thinking about autism, but maybe not for the same reason you are

Somebody in the Aphex subreddit once said that they missed the repetition in the early Aphex tracks, that Richard proved from the outset that he had a knack for making incredibly satisfying yet very simple music. I think that's a fair point.

I absolutely adore drukqs and the restlessness of the tracks has always been a positive quality to me, but I can't help but feel that one of the main reasons tracks like Xtal or Ptolemy or Acrid Avid Jam Shred are more enjoyable to me is because they take the time to settle into a groove before moving on to the next phase. SteppingFilter 101 is a perfect example of this in later-period Aphex.

I'd love if Richard brought out an album of solid, laid back tunes where he wasn't trying to mutate everything constantly. His obsession with making every bar different from the last started out as a strength but I feel that it's slowly turned into a weakness.

what about cheetah ep - although the likes of phonatacid are much better imo

It's completely OK and normal to not like every single thing an artist does. Every one of my favorite artists/producers/musicians has made several things I don't care for in the least.  All that matters to me is that the stuff I do like from them is among my favorite material of all time.  The stuff I don't like, I don't give much thought to...I just don't listen to it.

trying to mutate everything constantly. His obsession with making every bar different from the last

..is the reason why this album is so great imo. Even Collapse doesn't come quite as close to the composition on Syro. 

You may laugh all you want ("25 changes in the track", yes) but there's really not much music like this around, I've only heard like 1 or 2 albums (Pare from Parks Burton for instance), everything else I hear belongs to that "ultra-repetitive but still good music" thread.

syro is cow shop dunk fad

lol

No love for Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2? I'm really excited for pt1 . . . and since no one else has the cojones to say it, you all know that the Korg Monologue demos are his strongest release.

It's completely OK and normal to not like every single thing an artist does. Every one of my favorite artists/producers/musicians has made several things I don't care for in the least. All that matters to me is that the stuff I do like from them is among my favorite material of all time. The stuff I don't like, I don't give much thought to...I just don't listen to it.

But what about autism?

It's completely OK and normal to not like every single thing an artist does. Every one of my favorite artists/producers/musicians has made several things I don't care for in the least. All that matters to me is that the stuff I do like from them is among my favorite material of all time. The stuff I don't like, I don't give much thought to...I just don't listen to it.

But what about autism?

This place is more into retardation but autism is cool too

Archived