IGNORED

I just cannot get into Syro

ulul

btw i only listened to syro for the first time 2 years or such after it came out, what a normie...

What happened in those 2 years?

i guess it was around the time i got into African music, specifically mbalax from Senegal, so i spent around 2 years listening exclusively to African music... and later Peruvian cumbia...

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm inclined to tell OP if he doesn't like it, just listen to it more until he does.

That's at least what happened for me. I enjoyed Syro upon release, but it didn't blow me away at the time. Still played the entire album about 20ish times in total that year I think, but for my first real-time official Aphex release since I discovered Rich in 07, it felt like an unremarkable release compared to some of his earlier stuff (I'm looking at you, Drukqs)

It wasn't until I revisited Syro in 2016 when it suddenly 'clicked'. Some tracks have entire albums worth of musical ideas rolled into 1. It's insane. And I really can't think of any records that sound anything like it, both in composition and instrumentation.

syro u473t8+e [14198][piezoluminescence mix] at around 3:46 just hits my brain in a way that gets me in an intensely emotional state I can't really explain. It's the combination of the Lead and that Pads starting around that part of the track that just give me goosebumps and makes my eyes water every. single. time.

As of now I consider most of Syro to be top-tier Aphex. As far as I'm concerned it's the nexlvl shit I was dreaming of pre-release. It just took me a bit to adjust to it I suppose.

btw i only listened to syro for the first time 2 years or such after it came out, what a normie...

What happened in those 2 years?

i guess it was around the time i got into African music, specifically mbalax from Senegal, so i spent around 2 years listening exclusively to African music... and later Peruvian cumbia...

My favourite african music comes from guinean Bembeya Jazz Natonal, have you ever heard them? 

(Way off topic)

I think to really get Syro you got to love:

1-acid sounds,retro drum machines

2-perpetually evolving musical structures, getting a real feel out of music that has lots of changes and that is mutating constantly

3-introspective vibes and weird vibes,microtonal

4-very melodically layered textures

5-long tracks

People that ive talked to that dislike Syro usually have problem with some of these.

Like how it's being too referential to acid sounds and retro drums,not being innovative enough

( i disagree with this, lot of the innovation is in Syro is structural,and melodic,he pushes the acid sound further and further,innovation in the dynamic of acid Rephlex motto at work here )

Being too chill compared to his IDM and drillandbass from Drukqs era.

Just being generally weird and awkward,  

Too busy and layered like some mentioned here, not being repetitive enough,tracks being too busy and changing too much compared to his early and more simple and loopy stuff (SAW 1 and SAW 2, I care because you do, even flim or analord ,etc)

And those who love it usually love it because of the exact same reasons.

I personally love it.

to enjoy Syro you also have to enjoy listening to 180db which for some people is just asking too much. 

180db is delicious weirdocore dissonant atonal techno what is not to like? :P 

180db is honestly just a fun punching bag cos it's so straight forward and simple compared to the rest of the album. 

pretty sure there was a luke vibert or cylob radio set in good quality where it got played so that track ( + 3 Notes Con) were available in pretty good quality for A GOOD LONG while before the album came out :-) 

180db is honestly just a fun punching bag cos it's so straight forward and simple compared to the rest of the album. 

pretty sure there was a luke vibert or cylob radio set in good quality where it got played so that track ( + 3 Notes Con) were available in pretty good quality for A GOOD LONG while before the album came out :-)

it's not the simplicity of it that makes me not like it, it's that goddamn awful melody hook line...

I think to really get Merzbow you got to love:

2-perpetually evolving musical structures, getting a real feel out of music that has lots of changes and that is mutating constantly

5-long tracks

Just take 180db out of the Syro folder and place it in the the Orphaned Deejay Selek’s folder. And while there, take Midi pipe1c and put it in the CCAI pt 2 folder. Then all will be right as rain again.

JK. leave 180db where it is. put MARCHROMT30a Edit 2b 96 at start of album before minipops, sandwich end E2 between s950tx16wasr10 [163.97][earth portal mix] and aisatsana [102]. 

I think to really get Syro you got to love:

5-long tracks

People that ive talked to that dislike Syro usually have problem with some of these.

Like how it's being too referential to acid sounds and retro drums,not being innovative enough

( i disagree with this, lot of the innovation is in Syro is structural,and melodic,he pushes the acid sound further and further,innovation in the dynamic of acid Rephlex motto at work here )

Being too chill compared to his IDM and drillandbass from Drukqs era.

Just being generally weird and awkward,

Too busy and layered like some mentioned here, not being repetitive enough,tracks being too busy and changing too much compared to his early and more simple and loopy stuff (SAW 1 and SAW 2, I care because you do, even flim or analord ,etc)

And those who love it usually love it because of the exact same reasons.

I personally love it.

Agree on everything!

Honestly, while I love SYRO I do have one issue about Richard's recent output (not just SYRO):

Track Names - I get Richard famously said it was always a struggle to come up with track names, and hence why some of his early releases track names were "Untitled" (Joyrex EP series, Caustic Window, etc.), but how he names them roughly after what equipment he uses and what version/take of the particular track it is, makes them utterly impossible to discuss (or remember) with other fans!

I mean, beyond the ones that sound like names (Minipops, Aisatsana), most are just not something you can speak out loud (or search for in a music library). I bet most people have to look up the track names just to discuss them in threads like this. Not fun, Richard (but then again that's the exact reason why he does that) :dadjoke:

Honestly, while I love SYRO I do have one issue about Richard's recent output (not just SYRO):

Track Names - I get Richard famously said it was always a struggle to come up with track names, and hence why some of his early releases track names were "Untitled" (Joyrex EP series, Caustic Window, etc.), but how he names them roughly after what equipment he uses and what version/take of the particular track it is, makes them utterly impossible to discuss (or remember) with other fans!

I mean, beyond the ones that sound like names (Minipops, Aisatsana), most are just not something you can speak out loud (or search for in a music library). I bet most people have to look up the track names just to discuss them in threads like this. Not fun, Richard (but then again that's the exact reason why he does that) :dadjoke:

I agree with this, also a track name gives a feel to the track in my opinion. Just the title can change the whole way you feel about it. 

Like Collapse is a great title for that track, you can actually hear the track collapse at a certain point. Same with Abundance... 

I try to remember the track number nowadays, but even that is getting harder with all the added tracks in the original album lists. 

Not complaining here, just saying Joyrex is right!!! 

I agree with this, also a track name gives a feel to the track in my opinion. Just the title can change the whole way you feel about it.

Like Collapse is a great title for that track, you can actually hear the track collapse at a certain point. Same with Abundance...

I try to remember the track number nowadays, but even that is getting harder with all the added tracks in the original album lists.

Not complaining here, just saying Joyrex is right!!!

Autechre and Aleksi P. Fans be like ?‍♂️

I liked it at first. Then I didn't like it so much--for quite a while too... I'd put it on and be like "meh" every time by the end of track 2, though produk was kinda nifty

Final verdict: I like it a lot now. Though I wish that Earth Portal would have stayed with that thick synth/vocal loop near the end a touch longer.. ;)

I think it clicked after I heard Collapse (which is easily my favorite Aphex Twin release since analord 10)

track names make sense if a song has lyrics but when an electronic instrumental song comes out via someone fucking around with synths and gear, and you're making 100s of tracks, naming tracks can definitely be a bore. 

Archived