IGNORED

I just cannot get into Syro

ulul

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/18/2019 at 6:06 AM, bandenoire said:

Just take 180db out of the Syro folder and place it in the the Orphaned Deejay Selek’s folder. And while there, take Midi pipe1c and put it in the CCAI pt 2 folder. Then all will be right as rain again.

Holy fuck, genius idea!

On 3/27/2019 at 6:27 PM, ulul said:

The percussion on Metz was a lot more snappy too. It doesn't really hit that hard on XMAS.

yeah it's so strange that I prefer the live version to the album one, even after all this time. I wish he put out whatever version he played live. There are a few glitches in there too that sounds better than the slowed down album version

Listening to that Metz live version for the first time.  Huh, it does indeed seem to be a much more dynamic and hard hitting arrangement - snappier percussion, yes.  The album version, while it's loaded with a lot of stuff, is pretty dynamically flat (and I don't just mean it was squashed in mastering).  The dorks were right all along!  I wonder if hearing this years in advance would have made me like it more due to familiarity.  It's never been a standout from the album for me.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Listening to that Metz live version for the first time.  Huh, it does indeed seem to be a much more dynamic and hard hitting arrangement - snappier percussion, yes.  The album version, while it's loaded with a lot of stuff, is pretty dynamically flat (and I don't just mean it was squashed in mastering).  The dorks were right all along!  I wonder if hearing this years in advance would have made me like it more due to familiarity.  It's never been a standout from the album for me.

It has the illusion of being snappier due to the reverb and slight tempo increase (I think). I imagine the live version and album version are 95% similar as far as actual sounds go, with the live version having the more interesting arrangement, where it is different.

My take is Metz track live was recorded hot and open air reverb so you do lose some mid-synths compared to syro, but you get punchy drums which slap along with the bass, which plays well with the track.  Then theres the psycological aspect, that we all knew it was unreleased aphex, and some of the crowd noises are timed just right to make it feel like youre there

On 9/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

I wonder if hearing this years in advance would have made me like it more due to familiarity.  It's never been a standout from the album for me

I indeed had rinsed the metz recording in those in-between years, and so the track was already god-tier..  Was primed to finally have it proper.  And while it at first it sounded flat in comparison to that recording, all the wonderfully juicy detail has won me over.  In particular once i got the record

2 hours ago, Brisbot said:

It has the illusion of being snappier due to the reverb and slight tempo increase (I think). I imagine the live version and album version are 95% similar as far as actual sounds go, with the live version having the more interesting arrangement, where it is different.

It's not the reverb for me (that diminishes the snappy quality to my ears) but rather the percussion seems much louder relative to the melodic parts, more on top of it rather than underneath.  I know when I do live stuff I separate the drums from the melodic parts so that I can adjust the mix according to the room, make certain bits punch harder, etc.  Wouldn't be surprised if he does the same.  The mastering could also play a role in this, as the drums attenuate to avoid clipping, while the stuff going on around it gets pumped up/widened. Actually... the most likely reason is just that the crappy recording device naturally picks up more of the percussive sounds.  Drums tend to take over on a lot of low quality live recordings.

ive got more love for Digi-Syro after buying a set of AKG N60s for work (the wired version as i dont like the idea of bluetooth for flac and wav though im sure its getting there) . that means its still bad mastering, as the translation  may suck (as this is the first set of headphones that ive really bonded with it on), but with the N60s i can bask in its glory in normally noisy places. 

....Also just had a realisation that Rich has achieved, with his new stuff, Derrick May's dream of "Parliament and Kraftwerk stuck in a lift" far more succinctly than the Belleville 3 ever did.

Edit: kinda funny though that, as a kid, when I heard the Derrick May quote I searched out some Parliament and hated it. Just couldn't hear the link to the Mills, Hood and other second wave stuff I loved. Quite like it now though.

...Make my funk the D(addy)-funk. i want my funk uncut. If someone can do some Aphex mothership memes i'd be grateful at this point. 

• 5 weeks later...

One doesn't need to like everything an artist/producer does.  There's not a single one of my favorite artists that I like everything they've ever done.  I consider Aphex one of my favs even though I'm not crazy about most of what he did after the 90's in varying degrees.  Some of that material I don't like at all.  Doesn't effect the stuff I do like one bit.

Everytime I see this thread title that pimple cream ad from the 90's with the guy going "I can't get ride of pimples -I can't get rid of pimples -I CAN'T GET RIDE OF PIMPLES!" pops into my head.  (people think he eats too many chocolate bars.)

• 2 weeks later...
It's been four and a half years since release and I just cannot get this album to click. What the fuck is it? Every Aphex release was an immediate classic for me, full of fucking magic I'd never found anywhere else, or never have since. Aphex Twin is just the best of best for me, absolutely untouchable, completely reliable, then out of nowhere Syro comes along and I just think it's awful. I hate every second of it and I don't understand why.

I've always thought that if I could figure out why I loathe it so much maybe I'd find the best Aphex album lurking past my blindness but I don't know. I just don't understand how an artist who's blown my mind over and over and over can suddenly drop something which sounds like complete muck to me. Obviously not to a lot of you - this is just how I feel, but I don't understand. I just cannot figure out what is WRONG with this album.
xmas, circlons and the earth portal mix really drive it home for an instant classic in my book. I swear for the longest time i would notice some feature that i hadn't heard before, and that continues to keep me going back to uncover more angles of the tracks likewise with the collapse ep. Those two releases have a lot to unpack for the perceptive listener

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Listened to Syro in the car yesterday, hadn't heard it in a few months. Still rocks my socks off. Even with the heat in the car on (it being November) my toesies were still a little cold. Totally worth it, though, for those sonics. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Everytime I see this thread title that pimple cream ad from the 90's with the guy going "I can't get ride of pimples -I can't get rid of pimples -I CAN'T GET RIDE OF PIMPLES!" pops into my head.  (people think he eats too many chocolate bars.)

I came in here to post this, then had a vague memory of already posting it and wondered if I already had, and sure enough I did.  Still valid, still happens.

I just can't get out of Syro.

Seriously it's definitely my album of the decade, I just find it out of this world crazy good. Still sounds fresh to me too, I keep coming back to it more than every other album, but I never seem to tire of it. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Very, very special album for me.

12 minutes ago, IDEM said:

I just can't get out of Syro.

Seriously it's definitely my album of the decade, I just find it out of this world crazy good. Still sounds fresh to me too, I keep coming back to it more than every other album, but I never seem to tire of it. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Very, very special album for me.

I'd say it's Richard's best work since ...ICBYD.

21 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Or with a hundred dollar bill and a chicken kebab in every copy.

Yours didn't come with that? I mean, mine was a 50 euro note and it was a Doner kebab, but still...

I loved a lot of the tracks from Syro from the bootlegs of shows he previewed them at, and while I enjoyed listening to them in the flow of the album, I don’t think I “got it” until I listened to the album in headphones recently.  I wanted to come on here and yell at everybody incredulously for not stressing enough the importance of listening to this album on headphones :music:

Archived