IGNORED

I just cannot get into Syro

ulul

10 hours ago, Claudius t Ansuulim said:

I loved a lot of the tracks from Syro from the bootlegs of shows he previewed them at, and while I enjoyed listening to them in the flow of the album, I don’t think I “got it” until I listened to the album in headphones recently.  I wanted to come on here and yell at everybody incredulously for not stressing enough the importance of listening to this album on headphones :music:

Fucking good ones too. You need good ones. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in terms of being an LP with each track in context, it's his best, as Joyrex said, since the 90s. Though I think The Tuss edges out Syro a tiny bit if combining the two EPs into one LP.

And yeah the album is definitely a headphone album. I remember in 2014/2015 at the time thinking how amazing the mixing/mastering is.

I think it sounds good on decent systems too. Unfortunately these days a lot of people listen to shit through UE booms, TV's and stuff. This level of detail doesn't really translate to that world. 

On 12/13/2019 at 3:28 PM, Claudius t Ansuulim said:

I loved a lot of the tracks from Syro from the bootlegs of shows he previewed them at, and while I enjoyed listening to them in the flow of the album, I don’t think I “got it” until I listened to the album in headphones recently.  I wanted to come on here and yell at everybody incredulously for not stressing enough the importance of listening to this album on headphones :music:

I can’t recommend the nuraphones enough in this regard. The amount of detail that comes through on those headphones really takes syro Or really any of Rich’s work into another realm. It’s like studying a master painting up close. 

27 minutes ago, bandenoire said:

I can’t recommend the nuraphones enough in this regard. The amount of detail that comes through on those headphones really takes syro Or really any of Rich’s work into another realm. It’s like studying a master painting up close. 

So, I've often wondered about these, always felt like a bit of snake oil with the whole "adapts to your hearing" profiling. Sounds like you like them though? 

13 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

So, I've often wondered about these, always felt like a bit of snake oil with the whole "adapts to your hearing" profiling. Sounds like you like them though? 

Yeah, they’re a game changer. It’s a bit like having a finely eq’d and tuned system wherever you go. It’s nice to have audiophile level audio at work or while traveling. I pair it with a fiio x3 and can get 24 bit 48khz audio streamed via Bluetooth. 
Listening to Drukqs on them is like a religious experience. 

why on earth would you want to 'tune or eq' someone else's recording on headphones tho?  makes sense with speakers if youre trying to calm certain frequencies in a room/space, but adding extra color to headphones to me is a no-no.. really good headphones will bring out detail and and clarity of whats in the mix/master without needing to boost or alter it

17 minutes ago, markedone said:

why on earth would you want to 'tune or eq' someone else's recording on headphones tho?  makes sense with speakers if youre trying to calm certain frequencies in a room/space, but adding extra color to headphones to me is a no-no.. really good headphones will bring out detail and and clarity of whats in the mix/master without needing to boost or alter it

The software makes a profile of your ear canal by playing noise and then recording the response using ultra sensitive mics. They then apply an impulse response with that profile to the headphones. So not really tuned eq but a fool proof impulse response tailored to your hearing. 

13 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

They don't sound ..... good at all ?

Beats for the 4k generation ?

It’s really each unto their own. Will these be a passing fad? Possibly. if the company can’t find a way to market a $400 headphone to the general public then they’re history like any other audiophile trend. However, I’ve spent nearly 2 years with mine and love them. They have quirks for sure but they’re small compared to the overall experience. 

With Syro, I liken listening to it in its complete form is like going to 3 amusement parks in one day. It’s probably better to split it up over some time. Works better as two or three eps.  I used to never make it to the end but started listening to papat4 and s950tx together on their own and added TXT1+4 ds8 flngchrods in with them and it works very well. 

Regarding Beats. I've got a mate who works in the sound tec business, he's a sound dubbing guy but anyway, he came across a mastering engineer the other day that was cross referencing with beats. His reason was that it was what the kiddos were using so he had too. Makes sense I guess but still thought it was mad.

Archived