IGNORED

I just cannot get into Syro

ulul

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vinyl master is vastly superior. It’s not quite as compressed and limited. The digital sounds like they over did it with multi band compression. I will say the 24bit digital from blerp sounds slightly better than the cd or mp3. However there’s a tasty 96k24bit rip of the vinyl floating out there in shared land.

Words from Aphex's mastering engineer for Syro (Aphex chatter starts at 24:57, cool insights and perspective throughout, though).

Alas she was the one behind the CD master, the vinyl version was done by Beau Thomas

The vinyl master is vastly superior. It’s not quite as compressed and limited. The digital sounds like they over did it with multi band compression. I will say the 24bit digital from blerp sounds slightly better than the cd or mp3. However there’s a tasty 96k24bit rip of the vinyl floating out there in shared land.

Words from Aphex's mastering engineer for Syro (Aphex chatter starts at 24:57, cool insights and perspective throughout, though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8a0Bx7R78

Alas she was the one behind the CD master, the vinyl version was done by Beau Thomas

Yeah I thought the comment about her not getting the record was quite telling. Love to know what rich thinks of it.

Rocinante.

admirable steed! - worthy companion for the knight of the rueful countenance!

you sir are a king by your own fireside, as much as any monarch on his throne.

Sent from said trusty steed.

you sir are a king by your own fireside, as much as any monarch on his throne.

Sent from said trusty steed.

thanks, man! this really cheered me up at work today. 

very samey

err...no. does you has ears?

brisbot nailed it when he said it had to do with his sound palette, not only that but similar tempo, structure etc.. add any track from collapse into syro and id say it could fit there perfectly

try doing the same with any two albums pre syro.. take the example of bucephallus bouncing ball and acrid avid jam shred that the op mentioned, how similar do those two things sound relative to any two tracks post syro? that's what I'm on about

Syro is a stream of consciousness/through-piece way of composing music. It's very colorful and often plays with contradicting sound palettes.

The fact that each track was recorded in one take is evidence enough to be impressed with it.

well no, because I'm too autistic to just sit back and appreciate something unless it conforms exactly to my expectations.

hey is not like I don't appreciate it or have a problem with artists doing whatever they decide to do, is all fine.. great music.

I'm trying to nail down why it is that some of us simply don't "get into" the last 5 yrs of aphex.

In my case the reason is that I'm attracted to that push for new ideas that characterized rich' s work pre syro.. after that to me it all sounds like the same ideas but rearranged release after release, impressive? sure.. good music? definetly.. do i have a problem with him to keep doing it? not at all, he can do whatever.. point is I won't be "getting into it" esp when there's so much other stuff out there that keeps the genuine idm spirit alive

so yeah, autism

Y'know, been thinking a bit about what you pointed there with the switcheroo of tracks from Collapse to Syro and vice versa and yep, you're onto something there. I've actually liked how there is this kind of continuing thread coiling around syro sound, where every EP brings some new element to the big picture. Cheetah brought some mellowness, Collapse that so freaking cool footwork thing etc. Yet, it could be easily seen in a way that it all dwells on the same dead ground from one release to another with too little variance. But again, it's not that far fetched to shuffle the tracks from SOSW to SAW or On, so were the early releases so unique? On the other hand it's very true that one does not simply switch tracks between SAW II - icbyd - RDJ LP albums.

So if the syro sound isn't really one's favorite, I can see why it can be frustrating. I for one love to make playlists from the syro stuff as they flow so great together. Just my two cents. Dunno if any of that even make any sense... :psyduck:

If rich wants to upload one to the store he can get my cash a third time.

AFX bleepstore credits the mastering to Beau Thomas. Not only End E2 (and marchromt, don't remember if it was on bleepstore's syro) but the whole record. Dunno then if it really is. Didn't see anywhere Parnell mentioned though, so vinyl people go and enlighten us!

very samey

brisbot nailed it when he said it had to do with his sound palette, not only that but similar tempo, structure etc.. add any track from collapse into syro and id say it could fit there perfectly

try doing the same with any two albums pre syro.. take the example of bucephallus bouncing ball and acrid avid jam shred that the op mentioned, how similar do those two things sound relative to any two tracks post syro? that's what I'm on about

Syro is a stream of consciousness/through-piece way of composing music. It's very colorful and often plays with contradicting sound palettes.

The fact that each track was recorded in one take is evidence enough to be impressed with it.

well no, because I'm too autistic to just sit back and appreciate something unless it conforms exactly to my expectations.

hey is not like I don't appreciate it or have a problem with artists doing whatever they decide to do, is all fine.. great music.

I'm trying to nail down why it is that some of us simply don't "get into" the last 5 yrs of aphex.

In my case the reason is that I'm attracted to that push for new ideas that characterized rich' s work pre syro.. after that to me it all sounds like the same ideas but rearranged release after release, impressive? sure.. good music? definetly.. do i have a problem with him to keep doing it? not at all, he can do whatever.. point is I won't be "getting into it" esp when there's so much other stuff out there that keeps the genuine idm spirit alive

so yeah, autism

Y'know, been thinking a bit about what you pointed there with the switcheroo of tracks from Collapse to Syro and vice versa and yep, you're onto something there. I've actually liked how there is this kind of continuing thread coiling around syro sound, where every EP brings some new element to the big picture. Cheetah brought some mellowness, Collapse that so freaking cool footwork thing etc. Yet, it could be easily seen in a way that it all dwells on the same dead ground from one release to another with too little variance. But again, it's not that far fetched to shuffle the tracks from SOSW to SAW or On, so were the early releases so unique? On the other hand it's very true that one does not simply switch tracks between SAW II - icbyd - RDJ LP albums.

So if the syro sound isn't really one's favorite, I can see why it can be frustrating. I for one love to make playlists from the syro stuff as they flow so great together. Just my two cents. Dunno if any of that even make any sense... :psyduck:

AFX bleepstore credits the mastering to Beau Thomas. Not only End E2 (and marchromt, don't remember if it was on bleepstore's syro) but the whole record. Dunno then if it really is. Didn't see anywhere Parnell mentioned though, so vinyl people go and enlighten us!
Just found this looking for a unachievable end to my austism. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05gv42g dunno if it's been posted before or if it's holds clues for the quest but as I'm stuck in a foreign land (edit: and cant listen) I figured I'd share.

I've also been toying with the idea that the vinyl isn't mastered differently but the act of listening from vinyl is the nostalgic factor I've previously mentioned. If someone has answers I might sleep tonight. (Edit2: as previously mentioned this would be unusual for me as I prefer cd normally)

very samey

so yeah, autism

Just found this looking for a unachievable end to my austism. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05gv42g dunno if it's been posted before or if it's holds clues for the quest but as I'm stuck in a foreign land (edit: and cant listen) I figured I'd share.

I've also been toying with the idea that the vinyl isn't mastered differently but the act of listening from vinyl is the nostalgic factor I've previously mentioned. If someone has answers I might sleep tonight. (Edit2: as previously mentioned this would be unusual for me as I prefer cd normally)

Well this certainly implies the vinyl is Beau: http://images.45worlds.com/f/ab/aphex-twin-syro-2-ab.jpg

And I got my better half to check the cd and she says it says beau and mandy..she also says there something wrong with me.

^yes, there's no mystery in that the vinyl is mastered by Thomas, CD + (other) digital by Parnell. If you mean the Japan limited edition, Beau did the job for MARCHROMT so there's his cut of the CD. What I meant was that the AFX Bleepstore version credits the whole job to Beau Thomas which implies (imo) that it is the same mastered version as the holy vinyl version which everyone seems to hold as a supreme version compared to other mediums. I'm fine with my Parnell version though, but if you're interested to check it out, there you go.

^yes, there's no mystery in that the vinyl is mastered by Thomas, CD + (other) digital by Parnell. If you mean the Japan limited edition, Beau did the job for MARCHROMT so there's his cut of the CD. What I meant was that the AFX Bleepstore version credits the whole job to Beau Thomas which implies (imo) that it is the same mastered version as the holy vinyl version which everyone seems to hold as a supreme version compared to other mediums. I'm fine with my Parnell version though, but if you're interested to check it out, there you go.

I think on the aphex store it say:

. Mastered by Beau Thomas

Then when you look down there is a star next to "end e2"

I think the "." Before Beau is potentially supposed to be a *?

I think on the aphex store it say:

. Mastered by Beau Thomas

Then when you look down there is a star next to "end e2"

I think the "." Before Beau is potentially supposed to be a *?

Expanding on my new *special interest* if you compare this to "I care" on the aphex store you'll see where I'm going. Im not sure I'm right but it is a theory.

very samey

so yeah, autism

yea like, i still listen to alot of old aphex n can never seem to get enough of that sound... but i cant really do more than two post-tuss tracks back2back wout getting v bored

maybe if i become a dad ill get this cop show dad funk genre

It rules - if he'd traded shrymoming mix (sorry) for marchromt, and squeezed end e2 on there it would be imo a 'perfect album'

luckily with digital computing technologies, we can make this reality a possibility on our mobile and hi-fi listening devices

I just cannot get into Syro either.

Odd thing is, also for me the 2 bonus tracks marchromt30a and end E2 are topflight Aphex. 4 bit 9d coming in at third. The rest makes me snooze.

Such is life!

Archived