IGNORED

critique my mixes please

hey everyone,

I've been learning to play sampler and synth for a few years and recently got Ableton and started to try my hand at making tracks, have been focusing on learning how to mix. Wanted to ask for feedback on my mixes: blindspots, places for improvement, things that you would've done differently? Especially looking for feedback on eq, stereo image, and volume levels. So pick a track to critique and get some karma plus points!

videodrome sounds alright, but lacking a touch of cohesion, vocals/bass/synths all seem sorta from separate songs almost in how they're being treated. maybe some light compression or reverb or just anything to sort pull it together? bass is maybe a touch loud or just raw, not sure after first listen but it stood out.

face of the deep sounds pretty nice as it is, don't think i'd have done anything there (well i might've tried to play with spacing some components out a touch more, but that's a stylistic decision mostly, it sounds good as is), maybe have let the distorted part rise a touch in volume? nice track

arm and hammer manners is sorta like videodrome, bass maybe a hair loud or raw, hi hats maybe too loud? not particularly feeling a lot of this one but the mixing is decent

pwm delight, i'm not 100% sure but the kick/drums sound stereoed out or something, processing is a little weird. not necessarily bad but definitely noticed. bass and synths all sound good here (quite like the track btw) but the drums, tho i get what you're going for i think, they seem a little out of place. may just be a taste thing

rhododendron is a nice piece, the synths/reverb could've used a shorter decay imo, let the sounds degrade a touch more between notes and all. the track starts nice and plays around in a pretty place but doesn't ultimately go anywhere for me tho....but again, just one listen, may just take some time to sink in and follow it better? liked it tho

overall good though, much better than many, but hope this may've helped some? at least gave you one impression to consider :)

overall good though, much better than many, but hope this may've helped some? at least gave you one impression to consider :)

maybe the bass could be a tad more compressed in most of your tracks? but not sure

Thanks guys! Yes, auxien, it is very helpful! Especially your comments about cohesion. On that track I tried for the first time to send a couple of tracks to an effects send with a compressor on the return track, but it was done very lightly. In the future, I'm probably going to think about adding cohesion by grouping like tracks and using buss compression. I guess you were also talking about the choice of patches too and arrangement, and I think that can help. These songs are lacking in mid-range, and it was intentional as I learn how to mix, but it kinda makes the songs empty sounding top-to-bottom I think. 

They don't lack in mid range as far as I can hear it

Maybe this tool might be of help to you, in case you don't know it already. I know that one should mix by ears and not by eyes but if you wanna compare the tonal balance of different tracks it's a handy thing to have

Thanks for sharing, I remember seeing this or something similar from izotope on Pensado's Place, looked really useful for checking which frequencies are being masked in a whole mix. On a semi-related note, I'm looking forward to trying this once I have money to spend: https://www.soundtheory.com/home

They don't lack in mid range as far as I can hear it

Maybe this tool might be of help to you, in case you don't know it already. I know that one should mix by ears and not by eyes but if you wanna compare the tonal balance of different tracks it's a handy thing to have

Thanks for sharing, I remember seeing this or something similar from izotope on Pensado's Place, looked really useful for checking which frequencies are being masked in a whole mix. On a semi-related note, I'm looking forward to trying this once I have money to spend: https://www.soundtheory.com/home

Looks nice. I guess it's similar to this one: https://www.sonible.com/smarteq2/

I tested version 1 of it and it worked pretty well in most situations

Looks nice. I guess it's similar to this one: https://www.sonible.com/smarteq2/

I tested version 1 of it and it worked pretty well in most situations

Sweet, thanks. Never heard of this one, and it is a good deal cheaper. What'd you try it on? I'm looking forward to seeing how it sounds on drum and percussion tracks that are grouped together.

This one i tried.

Depending on how strong you set it you can use it on whole mixes or on individual tracks. doesn't always sound good, tho. I particularly like to use it on synth paths that can produce unexpected resonances over the whole spectrum when you twiddle da parameters, you can control the resonances a little when it's set to live mode

New song, my last track on a sequential Prophet 6 - sold it on craigslist this weekend : (  I miss her already. I miss u Lula! 

Any mixing advice or general feedback would be mucho apreciado!

new track

still living without an analog poly (and it stinks living this way)

had to brush the dust off of my electric guitar (so rockin!) and roland v-drums

any feedback on the mixing would be greatly appreciated

pretty mind blowing & c r e a t i v e imo tbqh

regarding the mix: I like the low mid drones but they might be a bit too heavy at some points, but overall a pleasing balance. some dynamic EQ would do wonders

would you mind giving me a lossless version of it? wanna try my luck at some slight mastering changes. I'm not particularly good at it but I would like to practice

• 3 weeks later...

lol speaking of izotope i was drunk and sped at sxsw and some people representing it were trying to explain to me how cool this weird all in one multitrack jam-session recorder thing was and i just chewed them out on every single detail until they were shaking with anger. it was quite lol and i realize i was being an asshole but still they just couldn't answer basic questions about the thing they were selling.

you are speaking of izotope. thank you for your story.

drum up: I tried mastering your track 2 weeks ago but it sounded worse afterwards

lol. no problem. Hopefully you got some good practice at least. 

• 7 months later...

hello,

I've been making music recently, still learning how to mix, wanted to post some tracks here, hoping to get feedback on the following.

1. overall balance (volume and tonal), use of eq, compression, etc. Anything at all you would have done differently?

2. how well do the kick drum and bass mesh together. Tryin' to get that big bottom yo

3. All of the songs except one are heavily quantized. Does it make them sound sterile or lacking feeling?

Archived