IGNORED

Decent Midi Keyboard

T3551ER

Sooooo, my M-audio Keystation has finally started to crap out (sending random pitch bend messages ALL THE TIME). I actually really like the thing - the keys are velocity sensitive, but kind of have an artificial springiness to them that make it good for drum programming. 

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a replacement - basically, looking for something with a similar "feel" but also knobs to twiddle (a feature the Keystation is sorely missing). Any suggestions from the EKT wrecking crew? 

So... M-Audio Axiom 49 maybe? Or Air Mini if you prefer it small and cheap. It has everything you might ever need from a midi keyboard really. I've had Axiom for years and I can't think of an occassion when I might need a replacement for it. Only if it breaks.

So... M-Audio Axiom 49 maybe? Or Air Mini if you prefer it small and cheap. It has everything you might ever need from a midi keyboard really. I've had Axiom for years and I can't think of an occassion when I might need a replacement for it. Only if it breaks.

Yeah, that's pretty much nail meet head. . . 49 keys is (for me) about the sweet spot . . . doing some looking now, only prohibition is the expense (not sure if they discontinued it, but most places looking at $300+ which is a little steep). Regardless, cheers for the find!

not sure if they discontinued it, but most places looking at $300+ which is a little steep).

They might have, it's an old model. But they're on eBay for like $100-150 if you're into it. I've got Air Mini and apart from fewer keys it's pretty much ideal (and cheaper). I've also tried Akai MPK Mini (a newer model) but the keys felt kinda cheap, so wouldn't recommend.

not sure if they discontinued it, but most places looking at $300+ which is a little steep).

They might have, it's an old model. But they're on eBay for like $100-150 if you're into it. I've got Air Mini and apart from fewer keys it's pretty much ideal (and cheaper). I've also tried Akai MPK Mini (a newer model) but the keys felt kinda cheap, so wouldn't recommend.

When using the Mini, do you end up missing the xtra keys? or do you find you get along fine once you've adjusted? (thnx by the way, this is legitimately extremely helpful)

EDIT: mmm - just realized no pitchbend or modwheel on the air (dealbreakers for me - maybe not for some tho). 

I recently traded it away, but I had an older Novation SL series controller for a couple of years and I really liked it.  I actually got it and a 4 octave M Audio as a pair at a thrift shop and sold one of them to cover the cost.  The keybed on the Novation was MUCH nicer than the M Audio, plus it had a lot more features and 8 halfway decent drum pads. I think the newer ones are similar.

When using the Mini, do you end up missing the xtra keys? or do you find you get along fine once you've adjusted? (thnx by the way, this is legitimately extremely helpful)

EDIT: mmm - just realized no pitchbend or modwheel on the air (dealbreakers for me - maybe not for some tho). 

A bit, yeah. Now that you've mentioned it, I can fully realize how stupid it is to be frantically changing the octaves while you're playing, ha-ha. I guess that's the sole reason I'd trade it for a new one with more keys.

Yeah I'm fine with no pitchbend or modwheel, I can't think of a time when I used those because both pitchbend and modwheel cannot be automated live or assigned to a knob in FL in any VST I tried. You can only record them into an audio file live I guess, which is not convenient.

The recent, affordable, NKS compatible Native Instruments A series has surprisingly good key action.

Holy shit, these look pretty effing sweet!

For anyone else interested: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keyboards/komplete-kontrol-a25-a49-a61/

A bit, yeah. Now that you've mentioned it, I can fully realize how stupid it is to be frantically changing the octaves while you're playing, ha-ha. I guess that's the sole reason I'd trade it for a new one with more keys.

Yeah I'm fine with no pitchbend or modwheel, I can't think of a time when I used those because both pitchbend and modwheel cannot be automated live or assigned to a knob in FL in any VST I tried. You can only record them into an audio file live I guess, which is not convenient.

Very strange (the missing automation for pitchbend/modwheel) - seems like those would be de facto abilities in a DAW these days. . . anyway, re: the octave thing: oh, nah man - if you've acclimated to it, all good! You're just trading off having the octaves available for something that is more compact/takes up less desk real estate/and is portable. . . two sides to every coin, right  :happy:

FINAL EDIT: Ok, I somewhat knee-jerked and ordered a 49 key A-series. Thnx Nil. W/ school + work + kid on the way the Komplete Kontrol automapping for knobs + included software is extremely enticing. Plus arp + scales. Kind of checks all the boxes + some I didn't even realize I had. 

Will report back here on how it works out - will see if it plays nice w/Renoise. . . 

Archived