IGNORED

Devin Townsend - Empath

Hail Sagan

devin-tropicalphoto.png

DTP is over with and this next album sounds like it will be sketchy ride through Dev's midlife crisis. Three different drummers, Mike Keneally, a cameo from fucking Chad Kroeger himself and some of the worst looking merchandise and asinine song descriptions I have ever heard of. Somehow I'm actually really excited for this.

to be fair it seems like he's been going through a continuous midlife crisis for the last +10 years

true. i guess from the interview it sounds more like a mid existential crisis crisis than anything.

No but actually. Is this like enjoying anklepants silly stuff or what? 

It sounds like nickleback/slayer offspring. Is this irony or what? Not judging just trying to understand the angle I'm supposed to take here lol. 

You probably can't come into Devin Townsend cold, otherwise it'd be like being dropped into a cold bath.  Full of hamburgers and kittens.  If you've been listening for many years, this is a logical progression.

I have to say, that new video really cheered my day up.  I love his 'well, I guess that's what I do' expressions at the end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The album arrived a couple of days ago, and was a great companion to a long bike ride through the city with the remnants of the polar vortex melting away due to the unfamiliar sensation of warmth accompanied by sunshine beaming down through clear skies. It's obviously its own thing but I'd say it's in the same family as Synchresta and Infinity in terms of how indulgent or meandering (mostly in a good way) it is. "Why?" is straight up Disney/broadway Devin Townsend and had me wincing pretty bad on initial listen until it finally got me on board somehow and is now one of my favorites. "Spirits Will Collide" is my least favorite by a good margin as it essentially sounds like what I remember most of Sky Blue sounding like (haven't gone back to that album that much so I can't draw any specific comparisons really). Overall I'm enjoying it while still wrapping my head around it.

If there is one thing you have to listen to on this though it's Singularity. All twenty plus minutes of it. It's just an onslaught of everything great about dev that's bolstered by the performances of other phenomenal musicians. Best song he's made in a decade imo and a frontrunner for most IDM 2019 on top of that.  

Whole album is up on YT and just listening through now.  Pretty crazy.  Heard everything from straight up opera to death metal... up to Hear Me right now which is like the more frightening side of SYL.  One thing is for sure:  He's not holding back on being himself, which is very thrilling.

edit:  Holy Crap.  I had to take a break after Hear Me.  Total onslaught (in a good way).

Whole album is up on YT and just listening through now.  Pretty crazy.  Heard everything from straight up opera to death metal... up to Hear Me right now which is like the more frightening side of SYL.  One thing is for sure:  He's not holding back on being himself, which is very thrilling.

edit:  Holy Crap.  I had to take a break after Hear Me.  Total onslaught (in a good way).

Hear Me gave me SYL self-titled (3rd album) vibes for sure. 

brootal

Archived