IGNORED

Mercury Rev appreciation thread

Extralife

Mercury Rev was one of my top-tier bands I used to listen to on the regular back in college back in the early 00s.  I grew up, tastes changed, and drifted away from this band for at least the past 10 years.

A few days ago, I read this review on PopMatters :  https://www.popmatters.com/mercury-rev-delta-sweete-2627451667.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

...and discovered this beauty of an album.  

Since then, I have dusted off my old cds of theirs and re-assessed their back catalogue for the first time in a decade (and listened to their more recent albums that I missed the first time around). 

To say that their magical Americana has aged well would be an understatement.  Back in college, I enjoyed them for their spaced-out sonics.  Now, in my middle age (eek), I am understanding this stuff on a much deeper level.  

Anyone else enjoy the splendor and magnificence that is Mercury Rev?

What are your favorite tunes of theirs?

Yerself Is Steam is a masterpiece. Everything else is a bit iffy in comparison. In my humble opinion folks.

Yeah ole' Chris Ott (Shallow Rewards) mentioned that here, he was a huge fan up through Boces. I haven't explored their discography thoroughly enough to agree but their early releases are fucking incredible and HEAVY

I actually heard about the band via Chemical Brothers, who were big fans of MR and Flaming Lips. Donahue plays on this closing song

Heard a few songs from Delta Sweete, sounds quite promising. Helluva list of collaborators 

Yerself is steam and boces are masterpieces. Would also recommend the 2 flaming lips albums from the same era when jonathon donahue was in the band, "in a priest driven ambulance" and "hit to death in the future head". He left after those 2 to focus on Mercury Rev.

Archived