The Italian Job

Kill Bill: Volume 1

Lost in Translation

Monster

Mystic River

Old School

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

The Yes Men

So that's just 4 years, then I got bored. I haven't included any franchise movies, no mega series (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings), very few comedies, one war movie (more a black comedy than a war movie), almost no action movies, and very few independent movies. They are all however, produced in America. There is a lot of good cinema in there.

So yeah - edgy and untrue.

Chocolat was awful lmao.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, chenGOD said:

From the year 2000:

Hide contents

Almost Famous

American Psycho

Before Night Falls

Cast Away

Chocolat

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

High Fidelity

Memento

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Pitch Black

Remember the Titans

Requiem for a Dream

Snatch

Titan A.E.

Traffic

The Way of the Gun

From 2001:

Reveal hidden contents

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Ali

A Beautiful Mind

Blow

Buffalo Soldiers

Bully

The Curse of the Jade Scorpion

Dogtown and Z-Boys

Donnie Darko

Enemy at the Gates

From Hell

Ghost World

Gosford Park

Human Nature

The Man Who Wasn't There

The Mexican

Mulholland Drive

The Royal Tenenbaums

Scratch

Serendipity

Training Day

Waking Life

From 2002:

Reveal hidden contents

Adaptation

Bubba Ho-Tep

Catch Me if You Can

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Equilibrium

Gangs of New York

Minority Report

Narc

Punch-Drunk Love

The Quiet American

Secretary

From 2003:

Reveal hidden contents

21 Grams

Bad Santa

The Brown Bunny

Bruce Almighty

Coffee and Cigarettes

Elephant

Elf

The Fog of War

Intolerable Cruelty

The Italian Job

Kill Bill: Volume 1

Lost in Translation

Monster

Mystic River

Old School

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

The Yes Men

So that's just 4 years, then I got bored. I haven't included any franchise movies, no mega series (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings), very few comedies, one war movie (more a black comedy than a war movie), almost no action movies, and very few independent movies. They are all however, produced in America. There is a lot of good cinema in there.

So yeah - edgy and untrue.

You picked the first four years of the decline, many of the films aren't even good, and at least one isn't even American.  I'm sorry that I don't like $10,000,000,000 remakes and Marvel movies.  I guess I ought to kill myself for having an opinion.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

2 hours ago, hello spiral said:

c'mon man you must know he's dead fucking right.

The story is good. The prose....not so much.

the prose alone isn't 'great' of course, naw. definitely wears on you after the full series, that sorta plodding, factual style...but i think it generally works rather well for the first few novels in particular. i remember at the time i was reading it all thinking he, at least in part, crafted the story presentation around his prose style., but could be just full of shit there. nonetheless i like the prose for the most of the series, and obviously the prose works well enough to keep the novel at the top of the saturated sci-fi genre for the last...what, 60 years now? he's not known for his prose alone, no, but the prose style works 100% for the first few novels. comparing it to YA or chlidren's lit just silly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drillkicker said:

I'm sorry that I don't like $10,000,000,000 remakes and Marvel movies.

I didn't include a single one. Sorry there's not enough rape or existential grief for you in that list.

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

sorry @chenGOD but that list really didn't help you proving your point... you should have sacrificed quantity for quality's sake...

I'm trying to show that there are a lot of good, entertaining, and potentially thought provoking films being produced in America, so quantity is a necessary part of the equation. I don't think you should be throwing stones, I've seen how you rate shit in the various media threads :trollface::emotawesomepm9::trashbear::cisfor:

• Haha 1

This is all because i don't fancy the thing... Get over it guys... 

13 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

good, entertaining, and potentially thought provoking films

You nominated so much shit that doesn't fit the above criteria... 

Edited by Tim_J
  • Burger 1

26 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

This is all because i don't fancy the thing... Get over it guys... 

You nominated so much shit that doesn't fit the above criteria... 

Then pick 10 that do. Jesus fucking wept.

American Psycho; Memento; O Brother, Where art Thou?; Gangs of New York: Secretary; Punch-Drunk Love; Donnie Darko; Human Nature; Mulholland Drive; The Royal Tenenbaums.

And there's still 16 more years from 2004 to now.

8 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Then pick 10 that do. Jesus fucking wept. 

That's what I meant when I said you should have sacrificed quantity over quality... I never said you weren't right... i meant you should have picked just examples like that... instead of a list full of, well, you know what... :trollface:

Edited by Tim_J

7 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I didn't include a single one. Sorry there's not enough rape or existential grief for you in that list.

I don't need rape or existential grief, I just want a movie that actually says something.  Of course there are great movies made in America in the past 20 years (There Will Be Blood or Where the Wild Things Are, Blue Ruin) but the general trend is overwhelmingly in favor of formulaic entertainment because the industry no longer has any reason to take risks:  the monopolies have realized that people will pay to see any action/adventure story as long as it has enough money spent on special effects and advertising.  They may not even like the movie, but if it isn't intolerably bad, then it'll always make a profit.

The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is a great example.  The fourth one had the biggest budget of any film ever, it was boring garbage with no substance, and it was still a major success in the box office, despite the fact that nobody really liked it.

Original stories don't really have much of a chance in this kind of situation.  Yes, they exist, but they aren't getting nearly as much industry support as they should.  I just can't picture a movie like One Cut of the Dead being produced in America.

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim_J said:

That's what I meant when I said you should have sacrificed quantity over quality... I never said you weren't right... i meant you should have picked just examples like that... instead of a list full of, well, you know what... :trollface:

You ever think that your 10 might be different than others? And the only one close to shit on my lists was chocolat, thank you very much. 
now go sit in a corner until you learn to like the thing. 

:orly: I never thought about it like that, i always assumed opinions were objective, who would have guessed, thank you very much... :rolleyes:

You should have extended your time frame instead of posting such mediocre embarrassing titles that's all... 

Edited by Tim_J

I've been trying to get back into reading Fiction again, and have never read Dune. The trailer looks cool, so the books have shot to the top of my list of books to read. At least the ones being covered in the moive.

I have basically done nothing but read non-fiction for the past few years so I am looking forward to it.

Edited by Brisbot

3 hours ago, drillkicker said:

I don't need rape or existential grief, I just want a movie that actually says something.  Of course there are great movies made in America in the past 20 years (There Will Be Blood or Where the Wild Things Are, Blue Ruin) but the general trend is overwhelmingly in favor of formulaic entertainment because the industry no longer has any reason to take risks:  the monopolies have realized that people will pay to see any action/adventure story as long as it has enough money spent on special effects and advertising.  They may not even like the movie, but if it isn't intolerably bad, then it'll always make a profit.

The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is a great example.  The fourth one had the biggest budget of any film ever, it was boring garbage with no substance, and it was still a major success in the box office, despite the fact that nobody really liked it.

Original stories don't really have much of a chance in this kind of situation.  Yes, they exist, but they aren't getting nearly as much industry support as they should.  I just can't picture a movie like One Cut of the Dead being produced in America.

:lol::lol::lol:

You are posting too much in a Dune movie thread.

Nobody gives a fuck about your tl;dr posts. 

We are waiting to see the movie to express our further opinions.

In other words, you are taking yourself too seriously, which is the best reason for others to troll/provoke/belittle you. If you're older than 18, chill the fuck out.

Over & out.

• Burger 1

7 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Even though I agree with the sentiment of a decline - which btw resulted with more quality stuff being produced for TV - I don't think it's fair to simply blame the industry. They're in the business of making mass products. Don't blame them if thats a succesful model. If people wouldn't turn up at the theaters, they'd stop in a second.

There are two sides to this "have to make money" coin. Besides the industry it makes sense to put equal blame at the feet of the people paying to see this crap. The mass does have choice. There's nothing to force them to pay their tickets. Apparently, it's the super hero fantasy scifi action stuff that people like to see. I don't think thats because of the industry wants it to be that way.

If the industry would have the power you seem to give them, they'd be making billions of profit with movies produced for less than 1mln. They don't spend north of 200mln because they just want to. 

• Like 1

anyway

don’t think i saw these posted

https://www.geekgirlauthority.com/new-images-from-dune-feature-a-new-look-at-the-fierce-house-atreides/

Bardem gonna fuck you up for talking shit about Denis’ trailer

23CEE785-8B75-48AC-9AD8-AD6453BF41C4.jpeg.042ac2c723f9cc846b41593c3220e53d.jpeg

and look at these two handsome hunks

972A4880-A864-495F-97E3-7DE2CB6504A1.jpeg.2bdf703a3a88c90fab0e0cd981c30fb6.jpeg

plus Lady Jessica looks cool. got that Bene Gesserit stare. 

73109AF0-D81B-4ECA-9EDE-1A5BFAE4354A.thumb.jpeg.e6d4156bf217946aa9e6c5f0ca8fc7ea.jpeg

• Like 3