I want to believe and will definitely watch this on HBOMax. Just refuse to jump on the Villeneuve bandwagon. Seen everything he’s done down to the shorts and just find it all so self important. There are soMe great reviews outta Venice. But look at David Ehrlich’s review, which goes into depth about how it doesn’t have a pulse

Lynch disowns his version, but until proven otherwise that’s the Dune for me.

Also fwiw Chase Palmer adapted Dune for WB about 15 years back and wrote a fantastic script.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will do less well than even BladeRunner 2049. I think it will be loved by critics and hardcore fans but everyone else will like meh. I’m still looking forward to it but part 2 will depend on the cash tills ringing big time - I can’t see that happening. It’s niche, cult sci-fi and that didn’t work out so well for the director last time.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

7 hours ago, fumi said:

This will do less well than even BladeRunner 2049. I think it will be loved by critics and hardcore fans but everyone else will like meh. I’m still looking forward to it but part 2 will depend on the cash tills ringing big time - I can’t see that happening. It’s niche, cult sci-fi and that didn’t work out so well for the director last time.

Yeah they’re overestimating it’s appeal to the American public, like Blade Runner 2049. It’s got the nerdverse all excited, but the general public has a lot of crises now to distract them, so I bet most will stream, if they even watch it. Since a sequel is still dependent on profitability of the first film, reviews say it spends too much time setting up a 3rd act that never comes. I’ve got an nice sized telly, so streaming, popcorn and a bong for me, thank you garçon. ? 

Was good half a movie. Now just get part 2 done,pls. Liked the aesthetics, this part seemed more like a setup of the setting and the players for the proper second movie. The ususal Zimmer zwap-boom type of soundtrack. Can the man still compose melodic themes? Rebecca Fergusson ❤️

Edited by azatoth
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ignatius said:

someone saw it and posted on twitter that the score is super over th etop hanz zimmemememerrr

still will see it though 

Wasn’t that how Blade Runner 2049 was? Sometime the music was so loud you couldn’t hear the dialogue in the theater.

18 hours ago, ignatius said:

someone saw it and posted on twitter that the score is super over th etop hanz zimmemememerrr

still will see it though 

Would have been a great job for Jóhann Jóhannsson

Edited by Frank Poole
Spelling
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Frank Poole said:

Would have been a great job for Jóhann Jóhannsson

I’d like to hear Clint Mansell take a whack at soundtracking Dune.

btw, you guys ever heard Rupert Lally's Dune soundtrack? Came out on Bibliotapes a few years back:

• Like 3

I’m not sure how many of you have seen the 2000s version from Syfy, but it might be the only adaptation of God Emperor and Children of Dune we see on screen for quite a while, unless they did the entire saga on television again, which might be a better approach since the source material of Dune is so expansive.

AA16A30B-44E0-4911-9EB3-D17474FDAA9B.jpeg

On 9/20/2021 at 5:38 PM, realthanks said:

not sure if it's already been mentioned ITT, but Jodorowsky's Dune is an awesome watch

yeah i watched that a few years back and it made me pretty hype about the creative process in general. remember it having a good soundtrack as well.

Spoiler

unfortunately anyone i've mentioned it to irl just fixates on the one part where Jodorowsky compares making art to deflowering a hesitant bride

On 9/19/2021 at 12:29 PM, azatoth said:

Was good half a movie. Now just get part 2 done,pls. Liked the aesthetics, this part seemed more like a setup of the setting and the players for the proper second movie. The ususal Zimmer zwap-boom type of soundtrack. Can the man still compose melodic themes? Rebecca Fergusson ❤️

hmm cool. just learning it's half the book. i had been wondering how they would fit the book in film length, so i'm glad they aren't gutting it.

i was preventing myself from hype because br 2049 was weird. i'm starting to think dune may be about as good of a dune as we could hope for, based on what i'm seeing.

got to wait because it doesnt release yet in states

Saw Dune in the theatre today, loved it, regardless that it's part one - so yes, half of the story with a hard to-be-continued ending - and part two starts filming 2022 at the earliest. I loved Villeneuve's Blade Runner, too, but my favourite from his oeuvre is still Arrival (although Ted Chiang's short story Story of Your Life it's based on is even better - all of his stories are amazing). Haters gonna hate, and there are always those who love to be Dementors towards others' pleasure - "I don't like it so you're stupid."

bdb.jpg

Edited by dcom
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey yo so this was... pretty adequate actually!

Didn't read the books but from what i've heard it was quite a faithful adaption. Turns out some stuff i missed was entirely Lynch's idea lol. Ah well whatevs. While i always felt the Lynch version starts out well enough and only really starts falling apart in the second half, this one was pretty much the other way around, got better once shit got down on Arrakis.

My fav scene was the one with Paul and Jessica being tied up on the Ornithopter... actually i think Ferguson's performance was my favourite overall. ❤️

Hoping for pt 2 now. Peace.

• Farnsworth 1