On 11/22/2021 at 5:59 AM, thefxbip said:

Blade Runner sequel was probably a better movie on the whole than Dune tho. The pulse and build up was near perfect in that one.

But Dune has an awesome rawness at times.

br2049 was better than dune for me and I didn't mind that or expect it to live up to that.  any movie based on a book will never live up to the ideal standards anyway

• Like 2

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

I watched Lynch's Dune on Saturday night, and aside from having massive eye brows, it is never explained what Mentats do. At least this scene kind of shows you. 

speaking of which, poor Thufir probably suffered the most in terms of character cuts. very limited role. I expect he'll have more screentime in Pt2 given plot demands.

some other random thoughts coming to me rn:

• I loved how the harvester attack scene was executed visually. it really nailed how I'd pictured it in my head. it was also nice to see the style/mood references to the border crossing scene in Sicario, similar tension.
  • changing Kynes' gender was done perfectly and without fuss, simply by hiring a talented actor who did the job well. if this had been in someone else's hands it would've been shitposted all over twitter and the subject of a mini culture war already.
  • quite a few of the names were not as I had heard them in my mind. I always heard these as: Lee-to, Har-ko-nen (this one I realise is probably wrong given the double N), Sar-daw-kar, Shani with a soft 'sh', etc. to say nothing of the Arabic/Persian words which are all said wrong all the time anyway, but that's overlookable.
  • Sardaukar war chant most idm 2021
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

br2049 was better than dune for me and I didn't mind that or expect it to live up to that.  any movie based on a book will never live up to the ideal standards anyway

While watching it it didnt come to mind but afterwards i cant help but compare.

Agree about book adaptations. Dune is probably as good as you can get but switch between different art mediums are never 100% natural. Something gets lost in translation.

But its all minor complaints, i enjoyed the movie and Denis did a very good job.

3 hours ago, usagi said:

my opinion of this remains high with rewatches. it started optimistically high after Villeneuve did what he did with BR2049. I don't think there's anyone else currently who could have done a better overall job here under the circumstances. no, it's not perfect, but that isn't possible anyway. all your favourite films are flawed in some way or other, it's all about what you can or can't reasonably overlook in the final result. of course demanding nerds have to look someone who has come to be their own specific gift horse directly in the mouth and complain about xyz but does it matter? this is proof that you can still make epic/blockbuster-type films that aren't complete diarrhoea-inducing fast food trash. because it isn't that it will probably not be as financially successful as it should be, but that's an indictment of people, not the film.

Yeah. My first thought upon watching was that finally someone made a blockbuster thats not absolute garbage. Gives one hope that studios might give some more movies to people with an imagination.

Edited by thefxbip

12 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Yeah. My first thought upon watching was that finally someone made a blockbuster thats not absolute garbage. Gives one hope that studios might give some more movies to people with an imagination.

studio support is a big part of it but I think it will depend primarily on having more unique "auteurs" (as wanky as that word is). good films - good "art" - originates first and foremost from creators with vision and drive, who are then allowed to assemble a team of like-minded people as needed to help them bring that vision to life. when adults in diapers chuck a tanty at Scorsese or Villeneuve for saying "hey MCU is kinda not good don't you think?", they are undermining the possibility of future auteurs being viable and conversely increasing the possibility that all future big-budget entertainment will be that kind of empty bullshit.

I could actually see the argument that, on balance, Villeneuve is not a super unique filmmaker. if you're looking for something stark new that blows your head off and redefines the film landscape in the way the big names have (is this even possible anymore? that's a separate question), you may not find it in his filmography. however, where he does excel imo is in bringing everything together with consistency and careful attention to detail, in delivering a well-refined final product, in managing that process. with such an approach, strong source material like Dune or a new BR script can come together in a good way rather than turning into a huge mess. also these strengths are probably what makes him a reliable filmmaker that studios can trust with a big budget and an expensive cast.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, usagi said:

studio support is a big part of it but I think it will depend primarily on having more unique "auteurs" (as wanky as that word is). good films - good "art" - originates first and foremost from creators with vision and drive, who are then allowed to assemble a team of like-minded people as needed to help them bring that vision to life. when adults in diapers chuck a tanty at Scorsese or Villeneuve for saying "hey MCU is kinda not good don't you think?", they are undermining the possibility of future auteurs being viable and conversely increasing the possibility that all future big-budget entertainment will be that kind of empty bullshit.

I could actually see the argument that, on balance, Villeneuve is not a super unique filmmaker. if you're looking for something stark new that blows your head off and redefines the film landscape in the way the big names have (is this even possible anymore? that's a separate question), you may not find it in his filmography. however, where he does excel imo is in bringing everything together with consistency and careful attention to detail, in delivering a well-refined final product, in managing that process. with such an approach, strong source material like Dune or a new BR script can come together in a good way rather than turning into a huge mess. also these strengths are probably what makes him a reliable filmmaker that studios can trust with a big budget and an expensive cast.

Oh sure, but what i mean is of course studio supporting auteurs, at every levels, small-medium-big budgets. If auteurs don't have studio support they wont make projects, as simple as that. It will always be utopia to think big studios will support the most creative people every time but there has to be a pushback against things like MCU or Star Wars. Cinema is an expensive medium. Filmmakers depend on money. It has to be a studio choice to support stronger voice. Props to Scorsese speaking against the current climate.

MCU ultra-generic stuff needs to stop taking so much place. People crying out when its criticized needs to get real. MCU is McDonalds cinema. You have the right to like a good Big Mac but dont pretend like its anything else but a Big Mac. You know? MCU and Mcdonalds are money machines with no integrity, and no amount of workmanship can make me forget it. Every MCU out is taking resources that could have been given to actual filmmakers that would have used them to make better movies. These things always have existed but if we can limit the scope of the cultural sell out, all the better.

So thats why something like Dune and its Box Office success is excellent news for that exact reason that it may stimulate people to give projects to filmmakers with more vision and integrity and leave them more freedom. It CAN be creative AND have Box Office success. Even if it doesnt reinvent the wheel, even if it is Hollywood or mainstream, more integrity and more freedom is always a good thing and will impact the whole landscape. Best example of that is someone like Scorsese. Working in Hollywood but still has a strong voice.

Villeneuve is the not the most unique i agree but still he is an artist and has vision and some integrity. Which cannot be said of the souless Star Wars and MCU shit being released these days. And he is also able to deal with the framework of big studio and work within the Hollywood industry. Something more difficult to most radical temperaments .The exact kind of person you need for big movies like Dune. Being an arthouse radical at heart would actually probably play against you in those contexts. You need someone half-conventional, half-auteur.

Like Lynch fuck up Dune because it wasnt his place to be working like that. He is far too radical for standard big budget sci-fi. Its a good thing it was a flop because he went on and did Blue Velvet which is far closer to his own heart. Better an half assed Dune trilogy if you ask me haha

I still gets surprised quite a lot of times with new movies i think cinema is still a young artform and lot of things is yet to be explored. Sion Sono especially blew my head off quite a few times.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally came around to seeing this. Really impressed by it! I loved the slower pace of the movie because it gave more room to world building. Can't wait to see how they are going to translate the next chapter to film!

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:45 PM, usagi said:
  •  
  • quite a few of the names were not as I had heard them in my mind. I always heard these as: Lee-to, Har-ko-nen (this one I realise is probably wrong given the double N)

Coming from a north European background, it's impossible to read it any other way and it was quite tough dealing with the pronunciation in the movie. 

interesting. I'd also always heard it as "Free-men".

also apparently some people say "Pie-ter" for Piter de Vries?! fuck that lol.

Edited by usagi

I have trouble hearing the pronunciations differently than I have always interpreted them. I don't like Herbert's official way of saying the names sometimes.

4 hours ago, usagi said:

interesting. I'd also always heard it as "Free-men".

For example this just sounds way better than the 'frehmen' pronunciation in the film.

Also I prefer 'Artreidies' to 'artrayduhs' 

'Been gesserit' instead of 'benny' 

I'm too lazy to type out the rest lol.

Edited by thumbass

• 3 weeks later...