• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am re-reading the books (well the first three) cause it has been ages since I read them, and it does make me hope that there will be a super long director’s cut that goes into the politics more. 

Also apparently Villeneuve is going to do Rendezvous with Rama. I’m excited but apprehensive because the Rama books are some of my fav SF ever, and there is so much character driven material that it would be easy to fuck it up, even for someone as talented as Villeneuve. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

rewatched this last night after finishing the first book. It's amazing how much they got right. The music took away from it a bit more in some places, but that's also likely because i don't have a good home theatre setup. The only one that still makes me cringe is the stupid "middle-eastern wailing" piece. Other than that it could have benefited from some better mixing.

Still, it was truly a phenomenal piece of art. Can't wait to see how they wrap things up in part 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

stupid "middle-eastern wailing" piece

the voice screaming out? i think that's what's her name from dead can dance.. Lisa Gerard? yeah.. kinda overbearing at times. 

• 3 weeks later...

For years Grimes harbored a dream of directing her own adaptation of Dune, with the more problematic colonialist elements scrubbed out, but when she heard about Denis Villeneuve’s two-part blockbuster, she fangirled all over again and signed on to help with the rollout, originally scheduled for November 2020. 

I was just crying my eyes out the whole movie. I just know X is going to have to go through all this really fucked-up shit that sort of mirrors Paul-type stuff.

In the end, Grimes loved the film so much that she signed on to help market the Warner Bros. movie in an official capacity, agreeing to use her large social media following to promote it.

I was basically an influencer.

24o9f6y2zbr71.jpg

However, in the weeks leading up to the film’s release, Warner Bros. decided to cut ties with Grimes, the singer alleges. She says it was a result of her posing while reading “The Communist Manifesto,” a clear attempt to troll her billionaire ex-partner. While she was hurt by the decision, Grimes says it was a result of the studio being overly cautious to avoid sparking outrage about some of the more controversial subject matter in the source material.

There are things that are deeply not woke in the ‘Dune’ universe 

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/03/grimes-cover-story-on-music-and-mars

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/19/2022 at 4:54 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Bill Sienkiewicz

46913ADF-357F-4B2C-97F6-AEDAEF20C7E7.jpeg

B53D75A4-BE21-49FD-BD40-A505D71B1153.jpeg

A fanatastic graphic novel - Sienkiewicz's artwork is stunning in this. Even though it's an adaptation of the Lynch film, it's really well done and totally worth the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...