• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

I'm gonna go see this at the cinema if they are still open by then 

Yeah I’m wondering if a big Fall virus surge will force movies to be delayed again until next year. There’s like 3 Marvel movies coming out before Xmas.

1 hour ago, Adamovich said:

Who gives a shit about Marvel movies lol, I hope they lose hundreds of millions. ? 

my point was big films like Dune and 007 could be forced back on streaming, I think Dune is supposed to be on HBO like 30 days after the theater?

18 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I think Dune is supposed to be on HBO like 30 days after the theater?

Yeah, something like that, a 30/40 day window before it's off to streaming. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon

I'm worried Dune is going to be a boring disaster, I can feel it in my bones.

i haven't seen the lynch dune and don't know anything about the story

but i think i'll watch this and as colunga said the green knight

both look grand and stylized

just wanna get lost in a story on the big screen

wish it was flickering onto the screen from film stock with the noise you can hear when its quiet from the reel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

I can't remember the last time I was this excited to see a movie at the cinema. 

i think Prometheus was the last movie i saw in the theater. and well, we know how that turned out. 

might've seen Force Awakens in the theater but can't recall really. 

i'll go see Dune in the theater if possible.  but on a monday at noon or something. 

6 minutes ago, dcom said:

should i watch this version?

I didn't know that was on YouTube, decent version!

Yeah, watch it 

Edited by Silent Member

22 minutes ago, dcom said:

Yes, and read about the motivation, the sources, whys and wherefores of making the fan edit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silent Member said:

I'm worried Dune is going to be a boring disaster, I can feel it in my bones.

Villeneuve's has had a great track record (IMO) doesn't mean this couldn't fall flat, but I think he'll nail Dune. I came to Arrival late, and have been kicking myself for missing it at the cinema. He's got a great eye for Sci-Fi.

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

i think Prometheus was the last movie i saw in the theater. and well, we know how that turned out. 

My expectations were low for Prometheus, but not low enough. Jesus, that was a terrible experience. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 1

man, visually, this looks beyond awesome, i really dig this art direction

what i don't understand is why all recent actors speak under their breath, showing so little passion for life and expression? is it considered "barbaric" to be present and evocative nowadays?

43 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

man, visually, this looks beyond awesome, i really dig this art direction

what i don't understand is why all recent actors speak under their breath, showing so little passion for life and expression? is it considered "barbaric" to be present and evocative nowadays?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen another film that did what Lynch did with Dune & their thoughts, having them whisper. That was genius.

• Like 1

These days, I feel like I have to try and see through all the bullshit trailer-isms to figure out if the movie will be good, and that it seems to be getting worse.  In a perfect world, they would just release a 3-4 minute unedited clip of the movie, and let people make up their own mind to see it.   There may very well be a good movie under all that garbage editing/voiceover, but this trailer doesn't do the movie any favors at all.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

These days, I feel like I have to try and see through all the bullshit trailer-isms to figure out if the movie will be good, and that it seems to be getting worse.  In a perfect world, they would just release a 3-4 minute unedited clip of the movie, and let people make up their own mind to see it.   There may very well be a good movie under all that garbage editing/voiceover, but this trailer doesn't do the movie any favors at all.  

I think if you liked his take on Blade Runner, you’ll like his take on Dune. There is also the tie-in series about the Bene Gesserit order coming:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dune-tv-series-hbo-max-showrunner-diane-ademu-john-1235024854/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen another film that did what Lynch did with Dune & their thoughts, having them whisper. That was genius.

i love Lynch's Dune, and whispering thoughts is great way of expression. i was talking about voicing dialogue in general. maybe they are trying to construct this closeness (intimacy of some sort) with the viewer, and i understand that, but it actually evokes a different feeling of characters. like they are too timid to speak, and since all these great stories involve to-be prophets, "chosen" people, or whatever (a rather tiring trope itself tbh), they end up like pampered privileged rich kids who have their life laid out for them, and has little to do with overcoming life or one's own shortcomings. idk, i might be touching on a generational thing which has little to do with artistic choice in movie direction though...

• Like 1