IGNORED

The liberal elite of The Guardian rank AFX songs

tec

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty cool list, although half a dozen of my absolute faves aren't on there.

Anyway... .942937 needs to be big upped more.

Ziggomatic is arguably the single best Aphex track. It never makes a list of top anything but periodically you'll find an astonished post from someone who really listened to it for the first time and is like "have you heard this???" (ex: https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/5285db/ziggomatic_17_is_a_fucking_masterpiece/)

It seems to contain all of life. The section at 1:05 causes in me an involuntary paroxysm of grief wherein I regress to some pre-adolescent state and start weeping, wherever I am. I wonder why it's not more talked about and I could go on about this but my theory is:

- The beginning is actively hostile, it starts with all of the elements firing at the same time in too close proximity to one another like they're jostling for space in a confined area. It's almost like a parody of what people think aphex is, like "is he just jamming on random keys?". Yet this is actually it's essence. The first pass is incomprehensible jabber, and yet with each rotation it teases apart space and the tempo shifts subtly. In this sense in mimics the experience of comprehension as nonsense becomes clarity. There's a kindness to it. It's like being taught an alien language by some benevolent higher source, and so the same as when an adult guides a child gently - and so it evokes infancy and it's attendant wonder, fear and exhilaration at the primary experience of life. 

- Arguably stupidest name of any Aphex track.

- Almost carelessly tossed at the end of the track listing

This is just the starting point of a real analysis but I encourage anyone who hasn't given this a serious listen to do yourself a favor and really surrender to it. You'll be glad you did. It contains a very powerful emotional undercurrent and evokes profound beauty and primal emotion.

Simply fantastic.

Yeah it was my favorite track of his for the longest time. I can kinda get why after Drukqs he decided to switch to analogue stuff. It feels like he already pushed that sound almost as far as it can go.

That's a common critique of aphex that his tracks are random, which is far from the truth. It just evolves and changes as it goes and most electronic music sticks to one idea. But every part in that track only serves to bolster all other aspects of the track. I just wonder how much time he spent on it.

Ziggomatic is arguably the single best Aphex track. It never makes a list of top anything but periodically you'll find an astonished post from someone who really listened to it for the first time and is like "have you heard this???" (ex: https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/5285db/ziggomatic_17_is_a_fucking_masterpiece/)

It seems to contain all of life. The section at 1:05 causes in me an involuntary paroxysm of grief wherein I regress to some pre-adolescent state and start weeping, wherever I am. I wonder why it's not more talked about and I could go on about this but my theory is:

- The beginning is actively hostile, it starts with all of the elements firing at the same time in too close proximity to one another like they're jostling for space in a confined area. It's almost like a parody of what people think aphex is, like "is he just jamming on random keys?". Yet this is actually it's essence. The first pass is incomprehensible jabber, and yet with each rotation it teases apart space and the tempo shifts subtly. In this sense in mimics the experience of comprehension as nonsense becomes clarity. There's a kindness to it. It's like being taught an alien language by some benevolent higher source, and so the same as when an adult guides a child gently - and so it evokes infancy and it's attendant wonder, fear and exhilaration at the primary experience of life. 

This is just the starting point of a real analysis but I encourage anyone who hasn't given this a serious listen to do yourself a favor and really surrender to it. You'll be glad you did. It contains a very powerful emotional undercurrent and evokes profound beauty and primal emotion.

Simply fantastic.

344105330352848897.png?v=1

Ziggomatic is arguably the single best Aphex track. It never makes a list of top anything but periodically you'll find an astonished post from someone who really listened to it for the first time and is like "have you heard this???" (ex: https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/5285db/ziggomatic_17_is_a_fucking_masterpiece/)

Simply fantastic.

Why no more content like this on this forum :/

Archived