IGNORED

Keith Flint dead

scumtron

Prodigy was how I discovered Aphex Twin back in the early 90’s. Liam name dropped Aphex in an interview, did my homework, great doorway to different music. Always loved Keith’s energy and attitude, shame he had to go so soon. Glad I got to see him perform. Rest in peace Keith.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music for the jilted was one of the first electronic albums i got into; it was a burnt copy that wass being passed around back then, grade 8.

The Prodigy's early albums were great. The order i heard them was jilted the fat of the land and then experience which was kinda mind blowing because i had never heard early rave stuff before, that album might as well be a greatest hits of that era for them

RIP Keith ?

Hmmm, wasn't there a "RDJ vs. Prodigy" dick comparison story going... back in the 90s, where The Prodigy created some Aphex style track (with bouncing ball effect?) and RDJ countered with ... I don't know... Come to Daddy? Or Girl/Boy?

Not sure, anyone remembers?

Hmmm, wasn't there a "RDJ vs. Prodigy" dick comparison story going... back in the 90s, where The Prodigy created some Aphex style track (with bouncing ball effect?) and RDJ countered with ... I don't know... Come to Daddy? Or Girl/Boy?

IIRC "Come To Daddy" was written as a kind of one-uppish response to the popularity of "Breathe"

I thought it was Goldie who was responsible for the spat..... would like to see the full story though! Here he is wearing the infamous t-shirt

7457654.jpg

I thought it was Goldie who was responsible for the spat..... would like to see the full story though! Here he is wearing the infamous t-shirt

7457654.jpg

wasn't aware of this, makes me lol and bummed out simultaneously 

is this rave equivalent of Blur vs Oasis or the Manic Street Preachers "hating slowdive more than hitler" or Drexciya dissin' Richie Hawkin or [insert hip-hop beef here]

Seems strange this guy would kill himself. Seems odd. Especially if you're out running marathons, and have given up drugs a long time ago.

Blokes who get up and go running usually aren't the type who have a negative mindset. 

Seems strange this guy would kill himself. Seems odd. Especially if you're out running marathons, and have given up drugs a long time ago.

Blokes who get up and go running usually aren't the type who have a negative mindset. 

Don't runners get a dopamine "runner's high" that naturally fights depression?

From personal experience in the past year, I can confirm this. The endorphins you release from exercise are effectively a natural antidepressant.

But yeah, Keith's death seems rather untimely given the circumstances.

a 5k ("fun runs" often for charity or a cause) is much different than a marathon (42km). but points still taken

it was his PB too. Sad times and as you say seems really weird given the circumstances. Who knows what was going on in his personal life.

I had read somewhere that he was devastated from his recent marriage break up and his 1.5m house went up for sale as a result of this just days ago. Also was forced to close his pub due to other problems. Despite the brave face, the pressure of it all must of got him and he hit the drugs, and unfortunately caused the unthinkable to happen  :sad:

Don't runners get a dopamine "runner's high" that naturally fights depression?

Absolutely. You can also, if you don't go running 2 or 3 times a week get quite low. And if you don't go the next week because that's how life works out you can start beating yourself up mentally and get lower. Running is a big buzz. Definitely a huge natural high, but can work in the opposite direction. (This has got nothing to do with any opinion of mine on Keith just shooting the breeze with Rubin)

Back on topic, just watched the Firestarter video for the first time for decades. Man that is such a classic.

RA have just posted a good write up

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3418

Great time to give jilted a couple more spins. 

RIP

Agree with the sentiment that it seems a bit odd moment for a suicide given all the stuff he had going. Seems like a sudden decision, to me. Although the quote Josh posted earlier... he meant business. And he doesn't appear to be someone you could talk out of his choices. I guess he thought his personal marathon record was his personal peak and it was only going to be moving downward from here on out. And wanted to avoid that at all costs.

Shame. Thanks for the effort though. Being Keith from the Prodigy is not a bad thing to have written on your grave. :)

Also a bit of video game nerddom...but it seems like the Wasted bandits in Rage were inspired by Keith in the Firestarter vid. And speaking of which, anyone who's played Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel may have stumbled upon the unique laser rifle called the Firestarta. AFAIK the former is an unconfirmed homage, but the latter is a dead giveaway.

I guess my point is the extent to which Keith had an impact on the world. And of course there's the Wipeout XL soundtrack.

Goddamn this is gutting. Rave on Keith and thank you for all of the music. 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/04/im-done-kill-keith-flints-brutally-honest-approach-death-growing-old-8805665/amp/?ito=amp-more-item-1

In an interview with Matt Blake back in 2015, the late star reflected on his time and told the publication how he wanted to look back over a ‘fulfilled life.’

He said: ‘I’m not saving up for anything. I’m cashing it all now. I’ve always had this thing inside me that, when I’m done, I’ll kill myself.

‘I swear to God that’s not suicidal – it’s definitely a positive thing. The moment I start shitting the bed is when you’ll see me on the front of a bus.’

‘When I’m done, I’ll kill myself’ 

Joking with the reporter, the singer then took a more heartfelt approach to the conversation, where he added: ‘I think I’m very generous of spirit with the people I love, but I can also be a very selfish person too.

‘I’ve grown up knowing nobody is going to look after me, so if I don’t, who is? I’m not frightened of who I am; I just want to look back and know that I’ve lived what I consider a fulfilled life.

‘That’s all. Happy days.’

I was shocked when I read this, and then again maybe he didn't kill himself cause he was depressed after all. Kinda like Hunter S. Thompson move, although he lived a bit longer than Flint..

Archived