IGNORED

Keith Flint dead

scumtron

ok - gotta share this anecdote:

i never met Keith, but a girl i went to college with was good friends with him since way back in the day.

one time he was visiting her in san francisco and they were driving around town. this was sometime in the mid-nineties. they were driving by this nice hotel and my friend looks over at this guy who was getting out of his car and does a double-take... is that... it is! it was Steve Jobs.

my friend says to Keith "hey that's Steve Jobs!" i don't know if Keith even knew who Steve was at the time but Keith looks over, rolls down the passenger window, sticks his whole upper body out and shouts "Oi! Steve!!!"  :lol:

Steve Jobs looks up all startled, sees Keith grinning crazily at him, and spins around - runs into the hotel without a word.

rip Keith. haven't heard from anyone with a single bad thing to say about the man & that says a lot about him.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok - gotta share this anecdote:

i never met Keith, but a girl i went to college with was good friends with him since way back in the day.

one time he was visiting her in san francisco and they were driving around town. this was sometime in the mid-nineties. they were driving by this nice hotel and my friend looks over at this guy who was getting out of his car and does a double-take... is that... it is! it was Steve Jobs.

my friend says to Keith "hey that's Steve Jobs!" i don't know if Keith even knew who Steve was at the time but Keith looks over, rolls down the passenger window, sticks his whole upper body out and shouts "Oi! Steve!!!" :lol:

Steve Jobs looks up all startled, sees Keith grinning crazily at him, and spins around - runs into the hotel without a word.

rip Keith. haven't heard from anyone with a single bad thing to say about the man & that says a lot about him.

Incredible!

Just watched that Phoenix 96 gig. The crowd is fucking mental, total savage.

I was there. I can confirm it was totally savage.

Good man (and a damn good raving mosh pit!)

Need me a time machine....

Good man (and a damn good raving mosh pit!)

Need me a time machine....

They played twice that weekend. On the main stage and a longer set in the dance tent. The dance tent gig was absolutley brutal. Sweat pouring off the ceiling. It was ridiculously hot that summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out about the news. I’m not on social media a lot these days and somehow this just flew under my radar.

Very sad, indeed.

I was a huge fan of Jilted when it was new and a big raver. I also remember hearing Firestarter for the first time and being blown away. It was definitely the beginning of the end for underground rave in some ways but it was gooood. Those were fun times. Lots of feels. He was deserving of being the first mainstream raver/rock-star.

I’m loving all the love for him in this thread. It’s also really cool to hear he seemed like a cool dude in a lot of ways.

Fun anecdote on Wikipedia...

“In 2014, he bought and renovated the Leather Bottle pub in Pleshey, Essex and became a popular landlord.[23] Flint kept a jar in which customers were required to put a pound if they made a "firestarter" joke as he lit the pub's fire.”

• 7 months later...

It scares me that this man killed himself, I would also say the same of Chris Cornell and especially Anthony Bourdain.

Three individuals who I really admire (Cornell and Bourdain almost bordering on a healthy man love) and on the outside looking in, would appear to have a life that I'd do anything for. It worries me, that these people (smart, intelligent, creative, lived life to the full) seemed to slide into a black hole within themselves and decided to take their own lives. It didn't surprise me when Cobain blew his brains out but these three? It puts a hook in me.

Not joking it freaks me out a little. 

I snapped this in Stockholm 2009. Absolutely fantastic show. Not sure about the ethics of celebrating a lifestyle that may have been instrumental in someone killing themselves at 49. Having his means to treatment makes for a lot of unanswered questions. Similar situation with Avicii, Cornell and Bourdain etc. But Keith was likely not meant for a career in Tesco's and the music was a pivotal force in the 90's that still smashes. 

FB_IMG_1573067712440.jpg

27 minutes ago, beer badger said:

It scares me that this man killed himself, I would also say the same of Chris Cornell and especially Anthony Bourdain.

Three individuals who I really admire (Cornell and Bourdain almost bordering on a healthy man love) and on the outside looking in, would appear to have a life that I'd do anything for. It worries me, that these people (smart, intelligent, creative, lived life to the full) seemed to slide into a black hole within themselves and decided to take their own lives. It didn't surprise me when Cobain blew his brains out but these three? It puts a hook in me.

Not joking it freaks me out a little. 

Yeah, it is quite unsettling.  I do wonder if the surreal nature of fame has a way of amplifying that... suicidal aspect of certain people, making it more likely for them to make that decision at some point.  But that's one of those impossible to verify ideas.  Would they have killed themselves if they lived the 9-5 quiet family life, forever outsite the limelight?  Perhaps, maybe not.  Mental illness is a bitch either way.

I do wonder too, if the fact such people have experienced such high level of potential-satisfaction, only to discover there is still emptiness left at the end of it...  I could see that being the trigger that pushes one over the edge.  So like, the idea of being able to experience something greater beyond what has come before is enough to keep a lot of us hanging on despite depression or whatever.  When you've already reached certain personal heights only to realize it still doesn't satisfy... I could see that being pretty devastating.  This doesn't necessarily pertain to Flint at all, but possibly other people who have followed similar paths.

Personally think ageing itself might be a factor.

At some point you're basically forced to reconcile with the idea that your younger self is a thing of the past. And the things you enjoyed doing and were good at, you can't do no more. If you can't let that go, and essentially don't want to grow old, you might get the idea to end it and have a sense of control about it. You never know whether they had certain health issues or perhaps experienced early onset of dementia or something. Can be quite devastating to wake up knowing your older self is no more and your new self feels like something you don't want to embrace. Kinda like an olympic sprinter waking up one day knowing he's stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. And not wanting to accept this new reality.

10 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I do wonder too, if the fact such people have experienced such high level of potential-satisfaction, only to discover there is still emptiness left at the end of it...  I could see that being the trigger that pushes one over the edge.  So like, the idea of being able to experience something greater beyond what has come before is enough to keep a lot of us hanging on despite depression or whatever.  When you've already reached certain personal heights only to realize it still doesn't satisfy... I could see that being pretty devastating.  This doesn't necessarily pertain to Flint at all, but possibly other people who have followed similar paths.

I don't think you have to achieve superstardom or great personal pinnacles to run into that wall, but the common key is being able to take the hint at that moment and rethink your habits and priorities. The mystery to me is that these are industrious people who have taken many chances and still haven't been able to do that. Or at the very least, this time they failed because some essential ingredient was lacking. In most cases it seems to be the closest circle not recognizing or acknowledging the warning signs. Globetrotting superstars might be especially hard to track... But it's difficult to warrant finger pointing from our vantage point. The drugs are an easy culprit in the case of Keith. 

• 1 month later...

Archived