IGNORED

Com Truise - Persuasion System “Mini LP” (May 17th, 2019)

At this point you could code a script to make Com Truise tracks.

I was walking and a Com Truise song came on, and in that moment, I thought about this statement...then I thought how awesome would it be if, instead of a program, it was actually Tom Cruise who came out and did a live parody of Com Truise.

Cyanide Sisters is his best I think. Feels like each release after has been drained of new ideas. You're still guaranteed a nice track or two though!

His older pseudonyms had some interesting sounds too, more BoC'y.

This is pretty decent. This isn't idm peeps.

Not as good as his earlier stuff but you can always hope. The same thing is happening with Burial where they release an awesome album early then good but not great stuff later. Or maybe they feel they've found their thing and just harp on it and become creatively stagnant.

You get the feeling from interviews and such both are not having as much fun as they used to making tracks. And tbh when you do something groundbreaking early can be bad for longevity of careers if you can't follow it up with something around as good because then people just say it wasn't as good as your groundbreaking album.

My issue with this and Tycho (who's guilty of the same thing and probably not coincidentally on the same label) is that the palette of sounds is just so lame and uninspiring. If you've heard one Com Truise or Tycho track, you've everything they have to offer. Maybe some listeners like that safe, comforting familiarity but for me it's just to bland and unimaginative.

I may have mentioned this in the thread for Com Truise's previous album but I believe that the overriding problem for these two acts is that they spend so much time in their individual creative worlds that when they finally emerge into the light with their new work, they've lost any objective view of it.

There's a reason that best-selling authors have editors. They look at it with a cool and critical eye and make cuts where necessary.

I'm sure Com Truise is a really talented individual but his stuff is totally devoid of variety because he is both artist and critic.

Not crazy on Com Truise, though the occasional track of his will do it for me. I saw him live once with Clark and honestly I can't even remember the Com Truise set because Clarks was so much more captivating and interesting.

My issue with this and Tycho (who's guilty of the same thing and probably not coincidentally on the same label) is that the palette of sounds is just so lame and uninspiring. If you've heard one Com Truise or Tycho track, you've everything they have to offer. Maybe some listeners like that safe, comforting familiarity but for me it's just to bland and unimaginative.

I may have mentioned this in the thread for Com Truise's previous album but I believe that the overriding problem for these two acts is that they spend so much time in their individual creative worlds that when they finally emerge into the light with their new work, they've lost any objective view of it.

There's a reason that best-selling authors have editors. They look at it with a cool and critical eye and make cuts where necessary.

I'm sure Com Truise is a really talented individual but his stuff is totally devoid of variety because he is both artist and critic.

Funnily enough, Tycho (seemingly) is no longer on Ghostly, as he has indicated on Twitter that his new album due out this year will be on another label (no idea which one)

tycho is good tho and puts on a great live show. never seen com truise live so i can't compare but i don't agree with your comparison

Indeed. Seen Scott three times he's come to Houston, and always puts on a great show.

Not crazy on Com Truise, though the occasional track of his will do it for me. I saw him live once with Clark and honestly I can't even remember the Com Truise set because Clarks was so much more captivating and interesting.

I was frankly disappointed in Com Truise's live show when he came to Houston, opening for Clark. As others have said, too loud and since his tracks sound very similar, it was like listening to the same track over and over. He makes some great songs (Propagation off his latest, and others listed in this thread). Haven't listened to the new track yet (I guess I should have before replying).

Okay... listened to the new track, and it's not bad - it sounds like Com Truise, but he's branching out (at last), but not enough (at least on this track; hopefully the others show more growth in that area). It actually reminds me of BoC in some ways (very similar to Skyliner off the TCH EP)

I think the biggest issue with his music is it really is very, very similar - he refined a particular sound, but hasn't grown past it musically. He talked of the last EP before his last album being the end of a trilogy/story, but the LP was more of the same for the most part. Hopefully this EP will be the change he mentioned that was coming.

I think the biggest issue with his music is it really is very, very similar - he refined a particular sound, but hasn't grown past it musically. 

Most definitely. Any track off any of his releases could probably be on any other release of his. There's not really a lot of progression style wise. I will say Iteration and Silicon Tare sounded better than previous releases dynamically but it was just a slight difference. 

I do wish he'd branch out a bit. Add some breaks or something I don't know. lol. 

That said, I'm comfortable with his releases or... I still always enjoy them and know what to expect with each one.

• 2 months later...

Yeah this was a lot better than I expected, I enjoyed it a lot and found it way more engaging than I expected. Same very cohesive palatte as I expected but well-composed and more subtle melancholy vibe to it. Kind of reminded me of the Analord series in terms of having more depth than a casual listener might expect going in. "Laconism" was the most intriguing - had a kind of Pye Corner Audio / Phono Ghosts spectre vibe to it.

12 hours ago, fumi said:

Guys, if you want some nice synthwave with actual decent tunes that you'll want to hear again, I recommend Unknown Frequency by Lucy In Disguise.

It's the stuff CT can only dream of.

https://innerworksrecords.bandcamp.com/album/unknown-frequency

This is a good rec but the hatred towards Com Truise?! 

Archived