IGNORED

where do you discover your music?

htor

Record stores, the tried & tested analog method.

When you'd have to go through piles of 10 records @ a time cos booth-limits were usually set by pretentious cunts, put the listening batches into piles of yes/no/maybe, go back through the crates, repeat til your fix has been satiated. Spend whole Saturday afternoons traversing cities, London, Bristol. Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds & Nottingham stores, just for that one secret weapon.

Digi? Discogs for cross-referencing labels/artists/musicians, add their Youlube links on the release page, it couldn't get much easier, Bandcamp similar cross-referencing, Gemm has gone but it was brilliant for swapping trade-lists...consistently found golden nuggets by the amount of requests sought for specific releases here n there

Seeksol? Gtfo

Discover almost all of it on here, either by user recommendation or pm's.

There used to be a radio station called Dr. Zomb's Radio Obscura that Portland broadcasted that had all sorts of weird eclectic stuff that made me build a huge library of weird songs. We used to have small acid/shroom parties listening to it at a friends apt. and phoning in when we were peaking and trying to explain the visuals we were experiencing to him while listening.

https://kboo.fm/program/dr-zombs-stereo-obscura

His theme'd shows were the best.

Listen to DJ mixes on Youtube, track down the best stuff from them on Discogs, shudder at the prices, and then try to forget them.

Lol good one.

Used to get a lot of new music from John Peel when I was a lad. Dunno how I could forget that. Good times. R.I.P Peely.

Record stores, the tried & tested analog method.

When you'd have to go through piles of 10 records @ a time cos booth-limits were usually set by pretentious cunts, put the listening batches into piles of yes/no/maybe, go back through the crates, repeat til your fix has been satiated. Spend whole Saturday afternoons traversing cities, London, Bristol. Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds & Nottingham stores, just for that one secret weapon.

My serious answer is I worked at a record store for 7 years and Googled bands professionally for 6 (and both at the same time for a few years) and heard too much music and now I can hardly finish anything of my own anymore. It was a lot easier before, when I hadn't heard so much music. Now everything sounds like something else.

just troll through WATMM, or check out related artists to an artist you like, whether on spotify or soundcloud or whatever. I'm glad I didn't start making music in the days where it was advantageous to leave your mix tape in a McDonalds restroom.

• 2 weeks later...

Spotify seems to do a great job of other suggested artists when I go to a particular artist’s profile. Their algo-driven suggested playlists aren’t all that great but, playlists put together by the artists themselves (Richard Devine and Proem for example) are often top notch

Archived