IGNORED

NTS playing SAW2 in its entirety for 25th anniversary

Rubin Farr

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to try some u-he stuff my dear :) (actually Arturia's equivalent in that guide is pretty darn good too, and those Soundtoys and Valhalla plugins are just essential!)

Yeah but they all sound worse than the hardware.

They all sound worse than the original Aphex tracks, you mean? I mean, no shit?

Yes and no. Like when I hear someone do polynomial c on a 101 through a quadraverb I dont think "that sounds shit, aphex is such a genius, for making it sound good". I think "that melodies dead simple, but fuck it's lush. Aphex is such a genius". Those plugin demos are shit mate. I meant what I said.

Just to clarify just in case anyone thinks I'm some cunt hardware purist. I ain't saying software doesn't sound good. I am saying part on SAW2s charm is the way the hardware is used. Same as you couldn't do Alva Noto's music with a 101. Different instruments. Different uses.

Recreating the Synths of Aphex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works II"

https://reverb.com/news/recreating-the-synths-of-aphex-twins-selected-ambient-works-ii

This is an advert for hardware synths right? I see it that way.

hey probably unrelated but reverb.com is having a 17% price drop sale right now for the Arturia V Collection 6 Software if you purchase directly via their store 

https://reverb.com/software/instruments/arturia/1967-arturia-v-collection-6-software-instrument-bundle-download

It's definitely recommended for the huge range of synths you get with it - Imo it also has the most accurate dx7 emulation out there at the moment too

Only problem I have with the album is that it's too long. I almost never listen to it in its entirety because of that. 

Lichen is one of the most beautiful pieces of music there is. Mold is also a great track off the album, those voices are just so unsettling but at the same time soothing. 

Sampled those voices for a notification ringtone for my agenda  :aphexsign:  

Wow. 25 years. I hated it at first. Found it dull after the much livelier 85-92. How wrong I was.

It’s grown to be one of my favourite records. Definitely my most played. It’s an album for any mood, any season. Conceptually, aesthetically, a work of art.

I obviously adore the melodic pieces like Cliffs (#1) and Rhubarb (#3), but I’ve grown to love the foreboding tracks almost as much over the years. Tree (#10) and Grass (#5) are both great accompaniments to a walk in the woods. Spots (#21) is creepy as hell when played on headphones in a darkened room. So many emotions spread across this great album.

Parallel Stripes (#14) is perhaps my current favourite (changes weekly). Just pure, floating-at-the-edge-of-the-universe bliss.

I once heard the album described as being like a trek across a barren alien landscape, in which you occasionally come across these beautiful, walled gardens.

Always loved that analogy.

Archived