IGNORED

AFX + novation bass station

perunamuusi

i remember reading about rdj saying that other people were copying his style and that they should probably do their own thing musically instead. now with all these afx-modes and the monologue i wonder if i he still thinks that? i really enjoy the micro-tuning capabilities of the mono and the nice little presets he's made, but what's in it for him musically?

i remember reading about rdj saying that other people were copying his style and that they should probably do their own thing musically instead. now with all these afx-modes and the monologue i wonder if i he still thinks that? i really enjoy the micro-tuning capabilities of the mono and the nice little presets he's made, but what's in it for him musically?

It’s all good baby baby

I don't like the Aphex Twin image is transforming into a brand.

Write a Resident Advisor article!

Nah for real though I kinda see where you’re coming from but he’s always been pretty up front about the commercial aspect of his music. Cool to me that an artist gets to make a living doing their art supported by patrons.

it helps him finance hoarding obscure synths and early 90s electro records

afx mode seems interesting but the demo is kinda dull. I am looking forward to that vst Aphex said he had someone programming a few years back. The one that  is supposed to 'mutate' sounds. say you make a patch, then you press 'mutate' and it'll give you different variations of said patch.

It’s all good baby baby

During Syro interviews he said he is flattered by it now, and that it used to annoy him back in the 90s. Makes sense, there are many good artists now who've cut out their own niche with that aphex as a big inspiration. Wisp. EOD. Clark. etc. etc.

I am looking forward to that vst Aphex said he had someone programming a few years back. The one that is supposed to 'mutate' sounds. say you make a patch, then you press 'mutate' and it'll give you different variations of said patch.

there are many good artists now who've cut out their own niche with that aphex as a big inspiration. Wisp. EOD. Clark. etc. etc.

Similar, eh?

i don’t think it’s a concern much when aphexs output is still uniquely his own. adding microtuning to synths is rad and initial impressions (to aphex twin fans) is generally ‘oh shit, it’s that saw2 sound!’.. but it’s not asif other artists using microtuning is robbing anything from what makes aphex twin unique.

same goes for that afx mode on bass station. seems like a cool new functionality, but at any point listening to that youtube ^ demo did you actually think ‘haha, games over richard, i can make syro now !!!’

I am looking forward to that vst Aphex said he had someone programming a few years back. The one that is supposed to 'mutate' sounds. say you make a patch, then you press 'mutate' and it'll give you different variations of said patch.

there are many good artists now who've cut out their own niche with that aphex as a big inspiration. Wisp. EOD. Clark. etc. etc.

Similar, eh?

Similar but not the same.  I think the vst he was talking about seems like it would be more powerful than afx mode. Though it depends on what he meant by mutate. Can you insert any sound and it will mutate it in different ways, or does it just randomize parameters in an intelligent way *shrugs*.

From what he was talking about it sounded like it would spit out a certain sound, then you'd pick which of the mutations you like the most, and then that in return if you so wish would spit out more variations, however it would be more 'narrow' and constrained mutations as a function of the sound you chose, and so on and so forth till you stick with a patch.

kinda like evolution where instead of selection being a function of how many offspring you have, it's the person's preference which is the selective pressure.

i don’t think it’s a concern much when aphexs output is still uniquely his own. adding microtuning to synths is rad and initial impressions (to aphex twin fans) is generally ‘oh shit, it’s that saw2 sound!’.. but it’s not asif other artists using microtuning is robbing anything from what makes aphex twin unique.

same goes for that afx mode on bass station. seems like a cool new functionality, but at any point listening to that youtube ^ demo did you actually think ‘haha, games over richard, i can make syro now !!!’ 

Oh yeah each of the artists definitely sound like they couldn't copy each other 100% faithfully. Music is richer with all of them present and making music than if it was just aphex, squarepusher, and autechre.

And TBH I don't think the demo did 'afx mode' justice. Though I've never been a big fan of the synth itself which for me feels slightly above average when compared to similar synths. I wish this functionality was available on a vst like 'harmor', or at least a more versatile synth.

i guess if you were writing for RA, you could argue that more synths getting AFX mode and microtuning functionality is just an opportunity for more artists to make aphex twin styled music for him to exploit and play in DJ sets without credit. 

Damn I am kind of bummed there's no demo track like the one for korg. Those tracks were fucking great. I loved the b side one. korg 1b is still easily one of my top 5 post-syro tracks

Archived