IGNORED

Holly Herndon - PROTO

d-a-m-o

lol usually I don’t give a fuck about shitty music TBH but when something so weak and unoriginal is so over hyped, I just can’t resist, everybody describe it as next level IDM fuckery but all I’m hearing is art school ready poppy shit, in 2018 it was Sophie, in 2019 it’s Holly.

edit : also, lol at the Jlin featuring, pitchfork editor wet dream right here.

This sounds very similar to her work on Platform, which came out in 2015. But parsing out your reductive statements is probably a waste of time.

Edit: She was also featured on Jlin's debut, which also came out in 2015, so they have a history of collaboration. Also the Jlin PROTO track premiered last year, so I feel like you're just hating for the sake of hating at this point. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't get into these genres of music (save Charli XCX's Pop 2), and this is among the worst I've heard. Eternity is an improvement over Godmother, but still rather poor.

Never liked any of hers that I've heard before but this track is nice enough.

I like her song 'Interference', was hoping her new stuff developed that style some more. Maybe some of the other songs do, didn't like the preview track on first listen. Like Richard Devine, she is also doing sound design for electric cars, which has a lot of potential. In the future, urban outdoor outings might be the stuff that dreams are made of (sonically speaking). Hopefully I have enough money by then to afford a diesel souped-up Mercury Grand Marquis with 24" inch rims and a boomin' system so I can crowd it all out with one-note 808 sub tracks. 

lol usually I don’t give a fuck about shitty music TBH but when something so weak and unoriginal is so over hyped, I just can’t resist, everybody describe it as next level IDM fuckery but all I’m hearing is art school ready poppy shit, in 2018 it was Sophie, in 2019 it’s Holly.

edit : also, lol at the Jlin featuring, pitchfork editor wet dream right here.

This sounds very similar to her work on Platform, which came out in 2015. But parsing out your reductive statements is probably a waste of time.

Edit: She was also featured on Jlin's debut, which also came out in 2015, so they have a history of collaboration. Also the Jlin PROTO track premiered last year, so I feel like you're just hating for the sake of hating at this point.

Different strokes for different folks...

nah Age Of is good 

i liked Platform initially but the more time i spent with it the more i hated it. felt like it was less about experimentation and more about, merging experimentation with actual song writing songs, but the song writing songs all felt kinda flat. ((( IMO !!!! )))

nah Age Of is good 

i liked Platform initially but the more time i spent with it the more i hated it. felt like it was less about experimentation and more about, merging experimentation with actual song writing songs, but the song writing songs all felt kinda flat. ((( IMO !!!! )))

Age Of is absolutely awful (in terms of OPN's output). Easily one of the worst of the decade. Pretentious artwork, stickers and all the other media hype try to focus attention away from the music itself - which (IMO) was mostly utter shite. There were about three tracks that even warranted release, let alone continued playing. The rest was just an embarrassment to his name and should have never seen the light of day. Unbelieveble because  he's made some amazing stuff over the years. An great artist now making pompous, overblown nonsense that should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

Sorry, derailing the thread which is not about OPN. Apologies.

IMO***

the 3 song stretch from <<myriad.industries -  Warning - We'll Take It>> is the only part of the album that kind of disappoints. i honestly have no idea what We'll Take It is doing but i'm not a fan. 

Babylon + Black Snow + Same thru to Last known image, is all good. 

weird. those tracks are definitely some of the standouts to me, so i can understand why hating those would mean hating the album. 

the second half outro of Black Snow, when the delayed wooshing synths start looping and it sounds like the song is being elevated is so so nice.

Age Of = good. not as good as it could've been (needed more overly stinky cheese pop and less "screeching noise interludes that make sense if you see the live show").. but still good :-) 

New album in may

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/43422

First track sounds like IDM for simpletons/normies /basic

AI concept is a total wankfest

Video is cringy as hell

Pls explain the hype cause I don’t get it

You’re not alone. I’ve noticed this a lot lately with younger artists - pretentious nonsense used to cover up absolutely abysmal music.

A lot of Holly Herndon's peers and shitload of post-dubstep post-grime stuff falls in this category but I'd be hard-pressed to put her in this critique, even though it's one I share. A lot of 'avant-garde' stuff with heavy PR and hyperbolic write-ups often end up sounding like 90s era MIDI music piss takes. And that's the "experimental" stuff - synthpop and art pop is even more eye roll inducing, especially bands of art students just rehashing post-punk and art rock that's all style and no substance.

She's up there with 0PN and Arca and other experimental artists who I find sincere even if their music is hit or miss or me personally.

This is am interesting track regardless of the art installment fluff - personally I dig it - and let's be honest if this was presented as some kind of mysterious bedroom IDM project or obscure Japanese experimental release from the early 00s or some other contextually appealing scenario half of you would be all over it. 

you don't have to check any pfork reviews you know - I used to get all pissy looking for shit to dismiss via some online rant but it's such a waste of time and energy

now if you'll excuse me I'm going to listen to some tape rips of 80s new age music on YT

Babylon + Black Snow + Same

Conversely those are the three that make me want to give my eardrums a papercut  :emb:

er these tracks are all really good live actually, they are much like different movements of a lager piece and work together well. quite breathtaking actually.

tenor.gif

BTW i went to see OPN last week and met him after and now I love him. 

Archived