IGNORED

Clayhill Dub / Dub techno

donquixote

That's an oddball track - always dug it for that reason. I'm indifferent to dub techno - not sure how "crap" it is lately if at all - I like a lot of it but it's a niche I haven't geeked over as much. There's plenty of heavy dub influenced producers beyond that genre among more mediocre stuff - The Bug, Jay Glass Dubs, King MIdas Sound, old dubstep like Vex'd, Scorn, and Kode9's older stuff.

Either way , Aphex Twin wasn't alone. Same year:

I have no idea how aware of each other Basic Channel were of RDJ and others in the UK, probably convergent developments. Within shoegaze/dream pop there were some dabblings in dub style music (Slowdive continued this) and dub in general had a healthy scene and crossovered into industrial and post-punk. Jah Wobble and Sherwood are great examples of this.

I find it interesting how much "Clayhill Dub" has obvious samples to dub reggae, heavy-handed in the way a lot of ragga jungle was at the time. That might have been the influence - take a techno track and give it some dub style aesthetics. God knows how many other demos RDJ made in such efforts. I think it's much more of a whim. On the other hand Basic Channel was really utilizing dub techniques and ethos within minimal techno, not actual samples or sounds, a more subtle but fundamental development. Their more overt dub rhythm and sound material actually came later.

It's a prophetic and intriguging "proto-dub techno" track but I think it's arguable how important it is recognition wise.

Totally forgot the Orb / Orbital, FSOL, and all that "chillout room" stuff from the early 90s, still need get better versed on that stuff

Biosphere was doing similar stuff, not sure if as early as 1993 though

Archived