IGNORED

Eno's post-2010 stuff

dr lopez

I haven't listened to any Eno stuff since small craft on a milk sea, which i thought was really bad and massively overhyped. Warp did so much promotion and seemed to get everything right except listen to the actual music and see if it was good enough. well it wasn't. which was a shame because I actually really enjoyed another day on earth and thought it was a return to form. I listen to it regularly but it seems to have been uninvited from the eno oeuvre. it's not on spotify. it really needs a vinyl release.

anyway, he has released a lot of music since 2010. Lux, The Ship, Reflection, the Drums Between the Bells, those two albums he did with karl hyde, and a few others that i can't remember now. I haven't listened to any of them because small craft was such shit. So, be good posters and let me know what's worth it, your take on this last decade of his work, if it's all shit etc. Curious because obviously eno is a genius and some of his music is certified "best ever" so I'm hoping there are a few gems out there. 

thanks.

faithfully yours,

dr lopez

I haven't listened to any Eno stuff since small craft on a milk sea, which i thought was really bad and massively overhyped. Warp did so much promotion and seemed to get everything right except listen to the actual music and see if it was good enough. well it wasn't. which was a shame because I actually really enjoyed another day on earth and thought it was a return to form. I listen to it regularly but it seems to have been uninvited from the eno oeuvre. it's not on spotify. it really needs a vinyl release.

anyway, he has released a lot of music since 2010. Lux, The Ship, Reflection, the Drums Between the Bells, those two albums he did with karl hyde, and a few others that i can't remember now. I haven't listened to any of them because small craft was such shit. So, be good posters and let me know what's worth it, your take on this last decade of his work, if it's all shit etc. Curious because obviously eno is a genius and some of his music is certified "best ever" so I'm hoping there are a few gems out there. 

thanks.

faithfully yours,

dr lopez

• wave an internet wand & go to Discogs

• sort stuff by date &/or cross-reference

• listen to youlube links if available, other esoteric sources if needs be for better audio quality

• buy the records you like, ignore the ones you don't

• scuttle back to chatmm, cue up repeats of "Girls" & trim bespoke facial hair ffs, that human ewok hybridisation has been running amok for far too long

Potentially useless information to you:

My wife bought the Reflection generative app for her apple-TV around the time it was released. I can't speak to the actual static slice of it released as a recording, but I like to throw the app on with breakfast, occasionally. I think the sound palette is good but not great. Nice evolution over time, not a huge range of deviation. The visuals have the feature of changing at a rate that's hard to perceive in real time if you watch it, but when you look up after a few minutes it's noticeably different. I thought it was a bit overpriced.

Besides that, the last I listened to was Small Craft; I think I only listened once through and I recall thinking there wasn't much worth returning for, like yourself.

Really like the stuff with Hyde and I still put on Lux in the evenings when I want to wind down sometimes.

whats the karl hyde stuff like? like underworld? like eno? 

they hyde stuff is pretty good, this track is wonderful:

it doesn't sound anything like underworld or recent eno, it's quite afrobeat sounding, more like pre-ambient eno (the best eno).

So, be good posters and let me know what's worth it, your take on this last decade of his work, if it's all shit etc. Curious because obviously eno is a genius and some of his music is certified "best ever" so I'm hoping there are a few gems out there. 

thanks.

faithfully yours,

dr lopez

I’ll bite

Small Craft: yeah, didn’t do much for me

Another Day on Earth: agreed, max lushness, love it

Lux: not super into it, sounds like an entire album of Bloom, it’s fine I guess

The Ship: very great, well worth it, seek it out

Reflection: can’t honestly remember what this sounds like except I think it sounds like Bloom again

Drums Between the Bells: I really like it, I picked up the deluxe edition which has a disc of instrumentals which is nice if you have a day where you are not feeling poems. But I like the poems

Eno • Hyde: also very great, worth checking out the deluxe ed. of the first one as well, got some lush gear on the bonus disc for sure

The only one I've heard (but actually quite liked) was Reflection - Kind of a cross between Music for Airports and something by William Basinski. It's kind of obvious that it's just a segment of an 'infinite' algorithmic piece but as sleepy sleep or migraine recovery music the non-transitional nature of the 50 odd minutes works nicely

I appreciate it wasn't recorded at this time but a huge shout for My Squelchy Life - was originally supposed to be released in 92 I think but was shelved in favour of Nerve Net and only got an official release recently. It's brilliant, way superior to Nerve Net.

I like Lux too, kind of reminds me of one of my favorite Eno pieces, Thursday Afternoon. Great for reflection or work, or to just open up the space of whatever room you happen to be in when listening. He released five hours of music last year, five-album thing called Music for Installations. The third part, with the pieces 'Atmospheric Lightness' and 'Chamber Lightness' are really nice. Really nice digital synthesis it sounds like. 

He has a lot of interesting lectures and interviews on YouTube as well which I've learned a lot from about music. The ones where he sticks to talking about music instead of politics are my favorite, but very interesting and witty man no matter what topic. 

I really like his poppier stuff, for example Before & After Science is probably my favorite album of his. I think that's probably why I enjoyed the Eno x Hyde albums so much. Are there other releases in that vein that I've missed? I can appreciate the ambient stuff and I've enjoyed what I've heard of his but in general it's not really my jam, I kind of play that stuff as background music when studying or reading. 

He released five hours of music last year, five-album thing called Music for Installations

It's amazing how prolific he is even after all of these years, he's been active for what? Close to 50 years now? Not to mention all of the other artists music he's produced as well...

Reflection is great for 15 or 20 minutes, but seems pointless and boring to run for over an hour. But I guess playing in the right environment it could work some magic (like if your tripping and floating around on a boat in a Lost World prehistoric quagmire) or just comatose on the couch after puffing on the magic herb and imagine yourself drifting on a deep Pacific ocean current, or as the sun is melting below the horizon and you're lost in a mangrove forest and giant fish emerge from their daytime lairs' to hunt giant insects that drop on the surface. 

Keep meaning to listen to High Life and saved it to my Spotify list a few days ago.

That's my Brian Eno Post 2010 report. Over and out.

Lux is one of my fav albums by him and I also really enjoy Reflection when in the right mood. The tom rogerson collab alum Finding Shore he did other year was nice to. 

Though as much as I love Eno his discog is huge and there still loads of it I haven't heard, so not sure if am best placed to comment! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived