IGNORED

Soundcloud dump copyrights

Lachesi

Hello everyone. 

In the last few years I started writing texts for podcasts. Final product would be awesome if words could be followed by music released by artists under labels... Copyright says no (and that's totally right) 

So you have to choose songs and sounds from libraries destined for this or you could also ask to a friend if it's ok for him if you use his song. 

But suddenly, AFX's soundcloud dump occurred to me! Some of the most minimal tracks would be great as podcast background and it's not illegal at all, since they're not released on label (except for a few later released on warp's site)  I think it's a very fair use, not an "exploitation"

So I'd like to know your opinion about this

Oh boy, do I know about Soundcloud Copyright let me tell ya!

I'm representing a really large client, so large, the biggest client even, such a huge client, a great client, in his copyright infringement case against WATMM. We filed today. 

This is going to be the biggest copyright infringement case of the year, no... the decade. Not only suing WATMM but Soundcloud too for failing to protect my client's music without mega-DARPA encryption.

So if I had any advice, it is to be careful or you'll find yourself in court. Someone will copy all of your messages and send them to a belgian lawyer.

Hello everyone.

In the last few years I started writing texts for podcasts. Final product would be awesome if words could be followed by music released by artists under labels... Copyright says no (and that's totally right)

So you have to choose songs and sounds from libraries destined for this or you could also ask to a friend if it's ok for him if you use his song.

But suddenly, AFX's soundcloud dump occurred to me! Some of the most minimal tracks would be great as podcast background and it's not illegal at all, since they're not released on label (except for a few later released on warp's site) I think it's a very fair use, not an "exploitation"

So I'd like to know your opinion about this

So you believe because they ain't on a record label there is no copyright?

I'm representing a really large client, so large, the biggest client even, such a huge client, a great client, in his copyright infringement case against WATMM. We filed today. 

This is going to be the biggest copyright infringement case of the year, no... the decade. Not only suing WATMM but Soundcloud too for failing to protect my client's music without mega-DARPA encryption.

So if I had any advice, it is to be careful or you'll find yourself in court. Someone will copy all of your messages and send them to a belgian lawyer.

You could become a speech writer for Trump

You could become a speech writer for Trump

lol that's what I was going for. Glad it came across.

to the OP - I believe copyright exists immediately when an artist creates an original work, it doesn't have to be registered like a trademark. 

"to the OP - I believe copyright exists immediately when an artist creates an original work, it doesn't have to be registered like a trademark. 

Yep, this is how it works. It's Dick D J's intellectual property.

Try asking smaller artists if you can use their stuff and give them credit. 

"to the OP - I believe copyright exists immediately when an artist creates an original work, it doesn't have to be registered like a trademark. 

Yep, this is how it works. It's Dick D J's intellectual property.

Try asking smaller artists if you can use their stuff and give them credit. 

I thought so! Thanks for that. 

And ditto, nice to use smaller artists, get them some air-time. 

if i found out someone was using my soundcloud tracks on their podcast, without even having asked, because they assumed “what i find on internet is mine” i would definitely be loading bullets into my uzi and ask around local communities for some street gangs to back me up. would be a dick move!!

But suddenly, AFX's soundcloud dump occurred to me! Some of the most minimal tracks would be great as podcast background and it's not illegal at all, since they're not released on label (except for a few later released on warp's site)  I think it's a very fair use, not an "exploitation"

Good god no!

You automatically own the copyright to any creative work you produce. So even if Richard hasn't released these tracks on a label that doesn't mean that you can just grab it and use it for whatever. How would you feel if I came by your place and stole your freshly baked bread because, I mean, you aren't going to sell it, right? So now it's mine.

there may have been some wiggle room in the first few weeks when it was "i have some tracks that sound like afx that i made around the same time afx was active while i lived in cornwall" or whatever he said.

there may have been some wiggle room in the first few weeks when it was "i have some tracks that sound like afx that i made around the same time afx was active while i lived in cornwall" or whatever he said.

No - even if Richard wasn't behind the SoundCloud dump, whoever made the tracks has an inherent copyright to them.

Far too many people associate "on the internet = free" which is not the case in most cases, unless explicitly stated. The easiest way to think about an analogous situation is ask yourself - would you record a programme off tv and use the video/sound in it for your own work? Would you go to a bookstore or art gallery and photograph the works to use in your own project? Of course you wouldn't.

what about creative commons?

Good point...

There are a few different types of cc licenses but in general I think you would know the material is cc as you'd be searching a cc database or website (IE things like flickr, cc databases etc). 

I think....

what about creative commons?

Good point...

There are a few different types of cc licenses but in general I think you would know the material is cc as you'd be searching a cc database or website (IE things like flickr, cc databases etc). 

I think....

when uploading to soundcloud you have the cc option...

Archived