IGNORED

NZ Mosque Shooting Footage

hello spiral

What are your views on what is clearly something that's only going to increase? People livestreaming themselves committing atrocities.

Did anyone see the footage? I was sent it before anything had appeared in the news, bar some '6 dead' breaking news story (death count is up to 49 now).

From The Guardian

YouTube, Facebook and Twitter have been struggling to keep video of the attack offline, with new versions being uploaded as quickly as they can be taken down, while many traditional media sites including MailOnline, the Sun, and the Mirror hosted edited videos of the same footage.

Facebook, where a man claiming to be the attacker livestreamed footage of the shootings, removed the original video about an hour later, but by that time copies of the footage had started to circulate across other social media sites.

Facebook’s community standards explicitly ban “individuals engaged in mass murder” from having a presence on its network, and the company has deleted the account associated with the suspect. But eight hours after the attack videos were still live, obscured behind a warning that they may “show violent or graphic content” but not deleted.

Traditional news outlets have taken starkly different positions. MailOnline’s version of the story features an autoplaying clip of 18 seconds of the suspect’s livestream, showing him leaving his car, weapon in hand, cutting it as he enters the front door of Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue. There was a version of the clip autoplaying on its homepage.

The Sun took a similar approach. A spokesman for the paper told the Guardian: “We recognise that in the aftermath of horrific events such as these there will be sensitivities around reporting, and we take those responsibilities seriously.

Most recent example in my memory is the guy who livestreamed himself on FB shooting that female reporter.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, horrific.

Stumbled on a thread on 4chan /pol/ celebrating the massacre because the gunman was a kekistan poster guy, truely evil

also fuck Candice Owens, supposedly she responded with a laughing crying emoji to an article that claimed the shooter had cited her as his biggest influence

It is a tricky thing to police I guess, as once it is out there it ain't coming back. Simply, the obvious answer I guess, user education and media publishing. These are areas we can always strive to be better in regardless of the technology involved.

The best thing we can do really is get professional bodies to severely hold media bodies to account for breaches of ethics like posting videos which depict real-life atrocities (I'd include something widely broadcast like the Gaddafi slaying in that category, I don't care what the person had done). Harder for the user content sites to manage, but media publishers have reasonable editorial expectations to uphold. And also educate potential viewers that clicking play on something of this nature when forewarned of its morbid, complicit content is only feeding the desensitized frenzy and heartlessly disrespecting the victims, unless you have some reasonable (professional/personal) need to know (court case, law enforcement agencies, journalist, academic researcher, loved ones, maybe a local in certain circumstances, etc.).

From my perspective, when I hear a guy goes into a mosque with a firearm and leaves behind bodies, I can kind of imagine what it would look like without needing to press play. There is nothing for the lay person to learn or gain from a FPS video of someone murdering others. It is like those beheading videos. Watching such a production provides an audience, enabling the act. Like touching hot water after you've been told it will burn, it is mindless and twisted.

not sure I could watch that sort of cold blooded violence in general, but adding in the irony poisoned meme shit whilst killing 49 people is so soul crushingly grim

the future of the world is bleak

It is a tricky thing to police I guess, as once it is out there it ain't coming back.

Yeah. It def feels like the genie is already out of the bottle

not sure I could watch that sort of cold blooded violence in general, but adding in the irony poisoned meme shit whilst killing 49 people is so soul crushingly grim

The Australian terrorist who livestreamed a mass shooting at a mosque in New Zealan told his viewers to 'subscribe to PewDiePie' before launching his attack.

yup

saw that 4chan thread, absolute cesspit of adoration for the guy. reddit and liveleak admins were also removing any links and banning anyone that posted it, but not sure why when they let thousands of other killing vids up

such a tragic, disgusting event. DESCRIPTION OF A BIT OF THE VID INC first part of the vid some muslim comes out of the mosque with open arms saying "hello brother!" and bam its just 4 shotgun pumps to the chest...absolutely vile stuff. its like a game to them, probably exacerbated by the fact that they can get immediate feedback from some other scum in the live chat...theyre all so much more horrifying because it adds an element of "everyday-ness" to it, you know, with the selfie type view sometimes. another horrible one was that joy lane video of the completely random old man being shot. stay alert 

It is a tricky thing to police I guess, as once it is out there it ain't coming back. Simply, the obvious answer I guess, user education and media publishing. These are areas we can always strive to be better in regardless of the technology involved.

The best thing we can do really is get professional bodies to severely hold media bodies to account for breaches of ethics like posting videos which depict real-life atrocities (I'd include something widely broadcast like the Gaddafi slaying in that category, I don't care what the person had done). Harder for the user content sites to manage, but media publishers have reasonable editorial expectations to uphold. And also educate potential viewers that clicking play on something of this nature when forewarned of its morbid, complicit content is only feeding the desensitized frenzy and heartlessly disrespecting the victims, unless you have some reasonable (professional/personal) need to know (court case, law enforcement agencies, journalist, academic researcher, loved ones, maybe a local in certain circumstances, etc.).

From my perspective, when I hear a guy goes into a mosque with a firearm and leaves behind bodies, I can kind of imagine what it would look like without needing to press play. There is nothing for the lay person to learn or gain from a FPS video of someone murdering others. It is like those beheading videos. Watching such a production provides an audience, enabling the act. Like touching hot water after you've been told it will burn, it is mindless and twisted.

This is why I never try to watch these videos. Just reading the headline is enough detail for me.

saw that 4chan thread, absolute cesspit of adoration for the guy. reddit and liveleak admins were also removing any links and banning anyone that posted it, but not sure why when they let thousands of other killing vids up

such a tragic, disgusting event. DESCRIPTION OF A BIT OF THE VID INC first part of the vid some muslim comes out of the mosque with open arms saying "hello brother!" and bam its just 4 shotgun pumps to the chest...absolutely vile stuff. its like a game to them, probably exacerbated by the fact that they can get immediate feedback from some other scum in the live chat...theyre all so much more horrifying because it adds an element of "everyday-ness" to it, you know, with the selfie type view sometimes. another horrible one was that joy lane video of the completely random old man being shot. stay alert 

4chan I think is part of the reason we have this far-right phenomena in the first place. I think it was early 2005 when I first heard about it, and it was full of racist, sociopath shitheads then. Now it's arguably a potential breeding ground for far-right terror.

why can't someone just murder pewdiepie

It is a tricky thing to police I guess, as once it is out there it ain't coming back.

The Australian terrorist who livestreamed a mass shooting at a mosque in New Zealan told his viewers to 'subscribe to PewDiePie' before launching his attack.

yup

binovkw6a8m21.png?width=579&auto=webp&s=

The footage itself really reflects how hardened we've become to cognitive dissonance in an age where information is more widely available than ever. A shooting 10 years ago might have produced some gripping lower res audio, video, and photos. 20 years ago and it was solely news media footage of the aftermath or a fuzzy CCTV camera vid weeks or months later. We have the reality of violence and terrorism literally available for every person in the world to experience in HD and yet it's only if you choose to. Whatever benefit this might have in swaying someone to push for legal changes in gun control and combating right-wing extremism will be offset by some shithead being inspired by the same graphic video. We have the same sad patterns of hate and violence now in hyper-reality. Sick times. 

why can't someone just murder pewdiepie

yup

binovkw6a8m21.png?width=579&auto=webp&s=

cant tell if ur being legit so:  

edit: hmm okay the link to his tweet wont workfor some reason. ill just copypasta here Just heard news of the devastating reports from New Zealand Christchurch. I feel absolutely sickened having my name uttered by this person. My heart and thoughts go out to the victims, families and everyone affected by this tragedy.

jesus christ this turned out messy, and now i cant figure out how to stop my text being the same as the tweet...

4chan I think is part of the reason we have this far-right phenomena in the first place. I think it was early 2005 when I first heard about it, and it was full of racist, sociopath shitheads then. Now it's arguably a potential breeding ground for far-right terror.

Yeah 4chan took the worst aspects of 2ch and amplified them through self-selection of the contributors.  Sure there are bunch of edgy teenagers on there, but there are also some seriously disturbed adults that influence the direction of the discussions, and yes the argument can definitely be made that they are potential breeding ground for far right terror.

Edit: also yes, let's please not have calls for murdering anyone, even blueberrypie.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I feel like very few people would have a change of heart watching it - those already disgusted and outraged would be so from merely reading it. People complacent to this (i.e. those who brush it off as a 'tragedy') won't want to watch it. This is just another tool of recruitment for right-wing scum.

Yeah 4chan took the worst aspects of 2ch and amplified them through self-selection of the contributors. Sure there are bunch of edgy teenagers on there, but there are also some seriously disturbed adults that influence the direction of the discussions, and yes the argument can definitely be made that they are potential breeding ground for far right terror.

That's been the real victory for the far right - they've managed to conflate trolling, shitposting, and memes with actual dog whistles and overt ideological propaganda. It's the same for the more benign climate of mainstream politics - people have latched onto the "toxic aspect of PC and SJW culture" as an excuse to publicly express bigoted views in public and get away with it.

I'll go even further, at this point deflecting and redirecting from this harsh reality is an endorsement of these attacks. When Trump equated Nazis to this "antifa boogeyman" I knew we were in for some bad times.

it appears that the individual was posting on 8chan actually, not that it really matters

edit: nwae this is such a delicate situation in the world rn, a few more wrong steps and full out racial conflics will be upon us again

Yeah 4chan took the worst aspects of 2ch and amplified them through self-selection of the contributors. Sure there are bunch of edgy teenagers on there, but there are also some seriously disturbed adults that influence the direction of the discussions, and yes the argument can definitely be made that they are potential breeding ground for far right terror.

That's been the real victory for the far right - they've managed to conflate trolling, shitposting, and memes with actual dog whistles and overt ideological propaganda. It's the same for the more benign climate of mainstream politics - people have latched onto the "toxic aspect of PC and SJW culture" as an excuse to publicly express bigoted views in public and get away with it.

I'll go even further, at this point deflecting and redirecting from this harsh reality is an endorsement of these attacks. When Trump equated Nazis to this "antifa boogeyman" I knew we were in for some bad times.

Yep - the "normalization of hate". Fuelled more rapidly by bias and media (social or otherwise) bubbles on a 24/7 never-off platform.

it appears that the individual was posting on 8chan actually, not that it really matters

edit: nwae this is such a delicate situation in the world rn, a few more wrong steps and full out racial conflics will be upon us again

doesn't seem delicate at all. seems obvious to me. stop giving platforms and guns to radical, far-right ideologues. deleting their accounts on the internet isn't limiting free speech, and you're stupid if you believe this. We had no problem "waging a war on terror" for the last 20 years, we just weren't killing the right people.

doesn't seem delicate at all. seems obvious to me. stop giving platforms and guns to radical, far-right ideologues. deleting their accounts on the internet isn't limiting free speech, and you're stupid if you believe this. We had no problem "waging a war on terror" for the last 20 years, we just weren't killing the right people.

maybe the solution is obvious, but will said far-right ideologues and their followers merrily go along with this suggestion?

edit: I mean delicate in the sense that I do not see a way out of this where things do not go much worse before they get better, perhaps that's just how it is

u guys where slow on this

Weird flex but ok

Speaking of Donnie, he's as tone deaf as ever:

Sounds like a greetings card

Also: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/zealand-mosques-attack-suspect-praised-trump-manifesto-190315100143150.html

Archived