IGNORED

NZ Mosque Shooting Footage

hello spiral

and some shitheel trump state dept advisory said it was abhorent but "totally understandable politically what his motivations were"

can we just not... 

wish i could give NZ a big hug. i'm sure they're on it though. was a warm and friendly place when i visited in 2005. had a great time. met lot's of nice people from lot's of different places. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you watch the footage though? I can't be the only one that just watched out of morbid curiosity. And I certainly wouldn't consider myself 'cheering' it on or alt-right.

It seems to me that the streaming part of this has set a precedent and it's only gonna get worse. Shit is gonna get Videodrome.

Someone, I think it was joshuatx, mentioned how before this it was always stuff that came out in the aftermath, and it was poor quality/fuzzy cctv/camcorder footage. Obviously people have always been morbidly curious to watch this kind of thing. See : Faces of Death, /r/watchpeopledie and liveleak etc.

Wish Robbie was still posting. I remember him making someone interesting posts years ago about the surreality of Isis beheading videos now being in HD.

sick sad world. 

i know for me personally, i'm not going to gain anything from watching the video except either a. being upset and disturbed by the content, or b. getting used to the disturbing imagery and getting "desensitised" to the violent imagery (which would also be thing, imo)

it's like liveleak, having footage of war violence. just because it's something that's happening, it's not something i need to see. people who go to war come out of it traumatised and needing to deal with PTSD because of the violent imagery and stress they're enduring. so the idea of thinking, "i need to see" and seeking that out from the comfort of your computer, and desensitising yourself to this... seems like something you very much should be avoiding more than seeking. especially when we're in the era of internet where, gore sites and stuff like this has been around for awhile, and its obvious now that there's a link between the content you browse online + the communities you spend time with online, there's a link between that and it shaping personalities and the way people think. and obviously, the dude streamed the shooting in an attempt to spread more violence and hate in the world. so actively seeking the footage out seems just seems wrong. 

the idea that, well the cats out of the bag now, is also beside the point. news channels/forums/youtubes should ofc be putting efforts into censoring that shit out, regardless of it being an active effort, it's still something that sites should be putting the work into censoring... IMO !

anyway.

yes.

sad shit. 

I used to have kind of morbid curiosity for these kinds of events when I was younger, like following school shooting news unfold real-time. Can't stomach them anymore. It's the kind of shit that psychologically fucks you up if you get too involved. And even though how horrible it's on individual level for lots of people it's still peanuts compared to some even more horrid shit that goes on under reported every fucking week, some of it government sanctioned or publicly supported in some shithole countries.

In the end it's just designed to have maximum psychological impact on the public to feed the perpetrators ego. Just lock the fucker up, don't acknowledge him at all but remember the victims and the people who tried to stop him. Let the edgelords rot in their own shitty universe and continue living.

sick sad world. 

i know for me personally, i'm not going to gain anything from watching the video except either a. being upset and disturbed by the content, or b. getting used to the disturbing imagery and getting "desensitised" to the violent imagery (which would also be thing, imo)

it's like liveleak, having footage of war violence. just because it's something that's happening, it's not something i need to see. people who go to war come out of it traumatised and needing to deal with PTSD because of the violent imagery and stress they're enduring. so the idea of thinking, "i need to see" and seeking that out from the comfort of your computer, and desensitising yourself to this... seems like something you very much should be avoiding more than seeking. especially when we're in the era of internet where, gore sites and stuff like this has been around for awhile, and its obvious now that there's a link between the content you browse online + the communities you spend time with online, there's a link between that and it shaping personalities and the way people think. and obviously, the dude streamed the shooting in an attempt to spread more violence and hate in the world. so actively seeking the footage out seems just seems wrong. 

the idea that, well the cats out of the bag now, is also beside the point. news channels/forums/youtubes should ofc be putting efforts into censoring that shit out, regardless of it being an active effort, it's still something that sites should be putting the work into censoring... IMO !

anyway.

yes.

sad shit. 

I didn't seek it out though. And neither did Fletcher. I think a lot of people just got cold sent this.

I was telling a work colleague about the footage yesterday. She's a nice little old Christian lady from Ghana. She matter of factly told me about a video she got sent on whatsapp of two young men in a Somalian sharia law court getting their penises cut off by the judge as they'd been accused of raping a young girl.

sick sad world. 

anyway.

yes.

sad shit. 

I didn't seek it out though. And neither did Fletcher. I think a lot of people just got cold sent this.

I was telling a work colleague about the footage yesterday. She's a nice little old Christian lady from Ghana. She matter of factly told me about a video she got sent on whatsapp of two young men in a Somalian sharia law court getting their penises cut off by the judge as they'd been accused of raping a young girl.

There are still places where people get burned alive by crowds for being witches and people are filming this shit happen. I don't want to see that either.

sick sad world. 

anyway.

yes.

sad shit. 

There are still places where people get burned alive by crowds for being witches and people are filming this shit happen. I don't want to see that either.

Yeah. I remember years ago going down a rabbithole on some liveleak-esque site at 3am and found myself watching two guys casually remove a third man's limbs with a machete in some presumably South American jungle. I'd been watching for about 1-2min before my brain kicked in and I said internally 'wtf am I doing?' and closed the tab.

My point is (do I have a point? I think I do) that you had to be fairly internet savvy and seek that kind've thing out. This feels different. This is landing in the laps of casual FB browsers.

sick sad world. 

anyway.

yes.

sad shit. 

Yeah. I remember years ago going down a rabbithole on some liveleak-esque site at 3am and found myself watching two guys casually remove a third man's limbs with a machete in some presumably South American jungle. I'd been watching for about 1-2min before my brain kicked in and I said internally 'wtf am I doing?' and closed the tab.

My point is (do I have a point? I think I do) that you had to be fairly internet savvy and seek that kind've thing out. This feels different. This is landing in the laps of casual FB browsers.

I think this is different because a casual facebook user from the first world can run into this. The death videos are much more prevalent in "the third world internet" (like the penis cutting video mentioned above). Which makes you kind of think how isolated the different worlds still are from each other even though they are using exactly the same services and basically able to cross the barrier when ever.

It would have to be a contender for the worst thing an Australian has ever done. I'm sure in the colonial days there were some nasty campaigners hunting the indigenous, and in the 90s there were dreadful things like Martin Bryant, Ivan Milat and the Snowtown/Bodies-in-the-barrels murderers.

But something about doing it in another country, the seemingly peaceful little brother country, whilst live streaming, a terrorist act to stir up conflict, just totally irredeemable scum.

sick sad world.

anyway.

yes.

sad shit.

I think you watched the beginning of the movie Braindead mate.

I used to have kind of morbid curiosity for these kinds of events when I was younger, like following school shooting news unfold real-time. Can't stomach them anymore. It's the kind of shit that psychologically fucks you up if you get too involved. And even though how horrible it's on individual level for lots of people it's still peanuts compared to some even more horrid shit that goes on under reported every fucking week, some of it government sanctioned or publicly supported in some shithole countries.

In the end it's just designed to have maximum psychological impact on the public to feed the perpetrators ego. Just lock the fucker up, don't acknowledge him at all but remember the victims and the people who tried to stop him. Let the edgelords rot in their own shitty universe and continue living.

Yeah, I can relate to this. Seems like a phase were you're just curious about what it's like. Add some contrarian teenage angst, and you've got some peeps thinking they're "woke" because they have a different point of view on things. After a while, after a bit of desensitisation, most will grow out of it. Hopefully.

Haven't seen the video and not interested either. 

If I can add a contrarian point of view: I wouldn't think it's bad if "big brother" is aware who is searching and seeing the video. Seems like a group of people with some potential of doing another mass shooting to me. Go stalk them, big brother. Events like this def. soften my urge for privacy protection. Not sure if I still agree in a month, but now, yes. Do your work, big brother.

If I can add a contrarian point of view: I wouldn't think it's bad if "big brother" is aware who is searching and seeing the video. Seems like a group of people with some potential of doing another mass shooting to me. Go stalk them, big brother. Events like this def. soften my urge for privacy protection. Not sure if I still agree in a month, but now, yes. Do your work, big brother.

:cerious:

sick sad world.

anyway.

yes.

sad shit.

I think this is different because a casual facebook user from the first world can run into this. The death videos are much more prevalent in "the third world internet" (like the penis cutting video mentioned above). Which makes you kind of think how isolated the different worlds still are from each other even though they are using exactly the same services and basically able to cross the barrier when ever.

Interesting point. Would make a good article I feel.

Unfortunately my brain still has the a small sick morbid curiosity impulse, I do want to see it. But I can't be arsed to seek it out and I don't think I'm internet savvy to find it anyway.

Sounds fucking horrible

I'm no sociological expert, but just blaming this on pewdiepie, edgy memes and 4chan seems shallow. Those are just symptoms of a larger issue I can't see cause I'm not that smot. But calling for pewdiepie's head is rather stupid and a complete misplacement of your anger/energy

all the memes and shit he used seem to be partly so people just think like that, treating 4chan like a radicalisation machine that chews up sweet young boys into mass murderers rather than the wider picture.

kind of what I mean about how I think this will be a big turning point, either we FINALLY start treating people using hateful dialogue in the interest of "free speech" or "civil discourse" on large platforms with scrutiny, or we just pretend memes on the Internet are bad and censor dumb shit.

I don't hold out much hope though, UK has been handling it real bad. I don't think I've seen any publication describe it as a terror attack outside of quoting NZ, and BBC even got a fucking Generation Identity turd on.

we're so fucked

over in australia alot of the way media and politicians are talking about it (the non queensland racist politicians) is very much referring to it as a terrorist act, which is something. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-16/fraser-anning-egged-in-melbourne-while-speaking-to-media/10908650

sick sad world.

anyway.

yes.

sad shit.

Interesting point. Would make a good article I feel.

Unfortunately my brain still has the a small sick morbid curiosity impulse, I do want to see it. But I can't be arsed to seek it out and I don't think I'm internet savvy to find it anyway.

Sounds fucking horrible

So one of the remaining "iffy" subreddits still around is r/watchpeopledie. I don't subsribe to it, I don't frequent it, but I've browsed it before long ago in the past. Usually I don't watch the vids of gifs: the comments and commentary are often interesting and informative if you poke enough. There's the usual nihilist sick humor and edgelords on there in the comments but there's a pretty open fact established that plenty of "level headed" people comment on occasion. Couple things I noticed:

1. Industrial accidents / traffic deaths seem most commented on - a lot of people actually cite these as making them more aware of their surroundings. It also emphasizes just how quickly you can end up dying. Makes sense that these seem the most acceptable to watch because any dangerous workplace has people who regularly review and analyze such footage - not to mention anyone in law enforcement / ER medicine comes across this stuff IRL

2. A lot of people cite some of these less graphic or even less tragic videos more disturbing - there's some dashcam video in particular where you dont actually seen anything that many users cite as the most upsetting and/or only one they had to stop watching. It involves IIRC a brick flying from a dump truck bed into the windshield of a car. Because you hear the anguish of the other passengers as the victim dies even the most hardened viewers of these vids nope the fuck out.

3. Watching these are a far cry from firsthand witness experiences. Dude I work with mentioned the most disturbing thing he's ever seen was a man jump off an overpass to commit suicide. Despite seeing far more graphic fucked up videos online that quick visual experience he saw personally still bothers him the most.

Good points. And yes, there's a sharp distinction between being an actual witness and watching shit on a screen. I have a similar experience while being in a boat and discovering a body floating in the water. Suicide.

Nothing graphic about it. At first I thought it was just 'something' floating in the water. Only on second thought I realised there's a body in that piece of clothing that was actually visible.

It's the real world experience that's so striking. You can't pause it. Or click away. Not on a screen. You experience it with all your senses. It's a vastly different experience. So, even if you watched the live footage at Facebook, I don't think it's similar to being an actual witness.

Archived