IGNORED

Brainwaltzera interview

gated

Fair enough. I guess I meant that hes taken from many sides of idm/braindance and is creating something different from all of that. It doesn't sound like a direct copy of any one in guy specific. some may consider it worse and lesser than the originals but I definitely enjoy it as a combination of my favorite kind of music resulting in a unique voice (which is how i feel about burial's music too from other older scenes of course). actually i like it more than most new stuff in the braindance area that sounds technically more impressive for sure but more like direct copies of afx or boc. I have a similar opinion for that new bjarki album too by the way.

Hmmm. Given how far removed Burial is from Jungle and how close BWE is to braindance's core i still find the reference baffling.

I think he's just referring to those two drum and bass tracks Burian did a few years back... or was it just one of them.

not to mention burial's previous work released under the goldie alias.

oh sweet. I'm one of those people who like his Untrue album and not much else by him... well he has other good tracks of course but it's easy to put Untrue on because each track is great.

off topic, but I've always wondered why his 2007 album was so good and he really hasn't hit anywhere near those heights in the past 12 years (well some individual tracks almost do). I figure it might because that album is so praised, that it might be daunting to try to one-up it. It must be paralyzing to some artists who release their best work really early.

Fair enough. I guess I meant that hes taken from many sides of idm/braindance and is creating something different from all of that. It doesn't sound like a direct copy of any one in guy specific. some may consider it worse and lesser than the originals but I definitely enjoy it as a combination of my favorite kind of music resulting in a unique voice (which is how i feel about burial's music too from other older scenes of course). actually i like it more than most new stuff in the braindance area that sounds technically more impressive for sure but more like direct copies of afx or boc. I have a similar opinion for that new bjarki album too by the way.

An odd thing about listening to Brainwaltzera's music is that the tracks tend to grow on me after initially just thinking they're alright. Even though his music is fairly idm/ambient, there are these little subtle details and rhythms in many of his tracks that keep your attention. The tracks have this subtle dynamic to them not really present in most braindrain music. He also is really good at knowing when to move on to the next thing giving his tracks a very natural flow.

I honestly feel we may never get original idm or braindance music, or at least it'll be a rare thing.... 

I think the last time the status quo shifted was from breakbeat/idm to when Analord and The Tuss tracks came out. I wasn't there, but it seems half of idm artists on soundcloud make music in these styles to this day. Then again I might be biased by who I follow on soundcloud.

there are couple of interesting details: one is that I suspect this interview was done via email. I noticed he uses British spelling ("honour") and has a Britishness in his turn of phrase. The other is the reference to two kids at the end, which means he's probably in his late 30s or early 40s.

Jesus Fucking Christ...

flol

Archived