IGNORED

Things everybody loves but you don't get at all

Lachesi

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel bad for those who can't feel the joy of a properly dank meme. 

I don't like licorice or asparagus. Or raw onions/garlic. Those are some downright ugly ass flavors. 

Yeah raw onions are ass. But saute them (and garlic) and they're a thing of beauty.

gaming*

YT personalities

extreme sports fandom

lazy retro aesthetics / music

funko figures: I'm sure many hate these but this is my catch all because I have no idea why they are even a thing

needless vinyl and cassette pressings, especially major label stuff that's completely digital in it's recording/mastering

meta culture - or I dunno, what ever makes 50% of the population who can't stand Trump, Kardasians, but incessantly comment on them online anyway

*the idea of it as a culture or something more substantial than another hobby

Marvel

Star Wars

remakes

Batman

machine learning

Star Wars

the stock market

children

Snapchat

Star Wars

Instagram

driving when other transportation is more convenient

bars, for the most part

Windows OS (ok, ok, I know, games)

righteous indignation about "cultural appropriation" (whatever that really means)

Ableton Live

Star Wars

cryptocurrencies

food delivery services

buying only theme/brand/licensed (e.g. Star Wars) Lego sets and only ever building from the instructions

unboxing videos

Star Wars

97 % of online content right there

IPAs... they just taste like grapefruit

I used to not dig IPAs at all but now it's my go to beer if I'm lazily picking up a new craft beer 6 pack

Star Wars (except for gonk droids)

70s era retrofuturism and sci-fi aesthetics of New Hope are literally my favorite thing of the series - that carried on lesser and lesser through the 80s and even 90s EU media

the gonk droid is totally some kit-bashed robot costume likely put together with discarded Dr Who props

Star Wars (except for gonk droids)

70s era retrofuturism and sci-fi aesthetics of New Hope are literally my favorite thing of the series - that carried on lesser and lesser through the 80s and even 90s EU media

the gonk droid is totally some kit-bashed robot costume likely put together with discarded Dr Who props

The first Alien film and the Bond film Moonraker - both from 1979 - fall into that aesthetic category if I'm not mistaken.

And agreed about gamer culture. As a hobby it's rather sparse for me these days compared to my teens and 20s. But the hardcore gamer community is full of the same kind of young males you'd see on 4chan or at Trump rallies.

Animal Collective/Panda Bear

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I get Panda Bear but AnCo's critical acclaim and cult following still confounds me

Being addicted to a mild sedative + smoking weed daily while watching reruns Always Sunny is universally a part of coming of age for young men aged 16 - 19

coming of age, apparently

At least the equally revered (ok, not as much as it used to be but still) Sgt Peppers has some decent songs trying to get out from underneath the pretentiousness.

Pet Sounds is complete empty inside. Just kitschy orchestration. Nothing more.

Come to think of it, all of the Beach Boys' other songs are saccharine garbage as well.

/rant

At least the equally revered (ok, not as much as it used to be but still) Sgt Peppers has some decent songs trying to get out from underneath the pretentiousness.

Pet Sounds is complete empty inside. Just kitschy orchestration. Nothing more.

Come to think of it, all of the Beach Boys' other songs are saccharine garbage as well.

/rant

I like this one

Actually, a real one: Holidays. Not everyone ofc, but I've come across too many people who obsessively jet off somewhere numerous times a year, and in many cases it seems like it's more an indication that their home lives are dull. Why not try and fix that, instead of forever trying to escape?. Plus the endless babble about how wonderful they are because they travel (a minority subset of the above, but a large minority)

It's also a hilarious environmental blind spot. The number of people I know who fly about on weekend breaks 3-4 times a year, and then go on a climate march...

THANK YOU

I used to get into it proper with TRAVEL!! women on dating sites about this. It really did not compute with them.

Archived