IGNORED

Veganism

Danny O Flannagin

I used to eat cricket bread and protein bars back in Finland. Kind of nutty flavor but good. Also tried some fried worms in Thailand but that's kind of more just for the experience.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the guy who keeps maintaining that one person giving up meat makes a concrete impact on meat production, lol fuck off.

You clearly lack imagination on the sheer scale of meat production and also global food waste.

Surely though for every n person-years of vegetarianism/veganism there is an effect, and everyone's contributions are equally important.

not if for every person going vegan there is one or more going carnivore/lchf

edit: what spi said.. u wanna solve global problems u need global action, the individual action talk is kinda bs

Do you apply this to every facet of your life, I am just one person so if I change it will still do nothing? They now sell vegan sausage rolls in Greggs ffs.

“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”

*please imagine a picture of a bearded man hugging a pig here. I can’t be arsed to google for one.*

Do you apply this to every facet of your life, I am just one person so if I change it will still do nothing? They now sell vegan sausage rolls in Greggs ffs.

“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”

*please imagine a picture of a bearded man hugging a pig here. I can’t be arsed to google for one.*

who, me? of course not, im talking specifically about problems that require global action to solve

who, me? of course not, im talking specifically about problems that require global action to solve

Not just you, there’s a few in here. My comment was obviously a bit tongue in cheek but I kind of believe it too.

Humans being omnivores is not a global problem that needs solving.

Single use plastics / climate change is.

exactly, the root of the problem should b specified n then

death to capitalism

find a peaceful and viable solution to the problem that is effective

No, when it comes to a lot of other topics individual decisions make a huge difference, e.g. do I drive responsibly? If I don't there is a chance that someone gets killed. Am I violent? Do I help others? There are lots of areas in life where one decision out of the many decisions other humans make actually changes a thing. I'm not saying that veganism isn't noble, I just don't believe that even if much more people stopped eating meat one single male chicklet less would be shred

Insects

Organic or factory farmed?

Great source of protein, presentation skills of dishes could do with some brushing up, but, grubs.......grubs

You walk into yer local supermarket & there are cheap sacks of readytowhateverthefuckyoudowithinsectswhenyoucookwiththem.

Do you A) run, run away, B) grab 2 large hessian sack's worth, or C) order a Matterhorn burger (aka a fuck off big one) w/fries to go from your local weird-beard burger gaff?

Friend of mine works as a tech at a place that processes crickets. Tried some completely unseasoned ones and they were remarkably bland. Closet thing it reminded me of was the papery inside of pistachio shells. Once they start getting cheaper and more cost effective I can see them being a staple especially for snack sized portions i.e. like nuts, jerky, etc.

Good description RE the taste, that's how I remember them as well. What do you mean by staple though? Insects are a bit of a staple at least in Africa and parts of Asia, do you mean hitting the mainstream? For whatever reason here in Canada you can already buy cricket flour and stuff at regular grocery stores, seems to be picking up here.

Yeah I'm talking stateside, Europe, etc. The incentive to buy stuff like cricket chips isn't quite there in terms of cost. 

I'm a true omnivore here. When it comes to meat I will say I am def not picky. I think if people want to eat meat they should do their best to eat as much of the animal as possible. It's a big part of certain regional cuisines - Mexican and Tex-Mex for example, I love barbacoa, chorizo, menudo, etc. If I ever went super bucolic and lived in the country I'd be content with goat, chicken, and pork. 

Def have some freeganism tendencies, I'm like a human garbage disposal at home and at the office. If there's anything people in highly developed countries should strive to do it's not waste food. Some cities in the US are trying to reform laws to make it easier to give unused food to people. It's incredible how much is wasted and how much legal red tape prevents restaurants, hotels, etc. from simply giving it out.

That's my 2 cents. There's no way I could do this so I applaud and respect the discipline of vegans, vegetarians and those who are far more strict about cruelty free, local, and free trade food sources.

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. 

We just consume less meat and other animal products like cow milk. 

I'd say we substitute more than half with soy, peas, beans, grains, vegetables, and especially green lentils and plant milk

I think it can be quite hard to completely give up on bacon and ground meat. Why does it have to taste so good?

But we try the best we can / the best we are willing to go without. 

Flexitarian I think it's called. 

My sister is vegan. My brother and mother are vegetarian. My father is omnivore.

We all used to be omnivore a decade back. 

To the guy who keeps maintaining that one person giving up meat makes a concrete impact on meat production, lol fuck off.

You clearly lack imagination on the sheer scale of meat production and also global food waste.

So you think meat supply is not correlated to demand and that the market is extremely inefficient?  You think there is no yearly fluctuation in the supply and demand of meat and that meat is somehow the one thing not beholden to market forces?  Give me a break

Re: insects and eating the whole animal. Couldn't agree more, I love that shit. Love me some kidneys, I've eaten fish eyes and brains etc. Still have sweetbreads on my list. Also would love a decent source of crickets. I noticed Tescos are doing packs of BBQ flavour crickets in the beer aisle now and I've tried them, but I'm not a fan of BBQ flavour anything and I want a big ole bag like popcorn, not a little novelty sachet.

I think mainly my point is meat should be a treat, not the norm. Similar sentiment to tec talking about people sitting and eating 80 chicken wings as a snack I guess

So you think meat supply is not correlated to demand and that the market is extremely inefficient?  You think there is no yearly fluctuation in the supply and demand of meat and that meat is somehow the one thing not beholden to market forces?  Give me a break

It is correlated to demand but the demand will not go down enough

Don't basic market forces apply? Fairly elastic prices in the meat market, at least in Canada. Price of beef can fluctuate almost 50% over the course of a few weeks. 

Demand drops, price drops, more sold in response. I believe production is fairly static.

http://aimis-simia.agr.gc.ca/rp/index-eng.cfm?action=gR&r=105&signature=19C0FF8143B4262BBE21BC183CB0394D&pdctc=&pTpl=1#wb-cont

http://aimis-simia.agr.gc.ca/rp/index-eng.cfm?action=gR&r=111&signature=1E4EEE7FCACEBDB9795A618FFF89B47E&pdctc=&pTpl=1#wb-cont

At least these reports show stable production. Hogs are especially stable:

Federally inspected:

2015 - 20,332,334

2016 - 20,394,158

2017 - 20,728,785

2018 - 20,552,912

edit: worldwide all meat production is increasing of course.

Archived