I’m sure it’s been discussed somewhere, I just can’t find it...

There are obvious similarities between parts in at least two tracks on Chaos A.D. Buzz Caner and I Care Because You Do:

Chaos A.D. ‘Friend Track’ contains the same drum loop as ‘Cow Cud is a Twin’ - seems the track name would be the obvious clue here

Chaos A.D. ‘Dreaded Pestilence’ uses a nearly identical sound (harsh feedback resonant filter lfo fart) to ‘Ventolin’ - I have never heard this sound anywhere else.

Does anyone have details, ie did anyone ever confirm/admit that RDJ contributed on Buzz Caner and/or borrowed material from it for ICBYD or vice versa?

Makes sense as they lived together for some time.

This should really be a larger thread like: sounds that rich and his friends have pinched from each other.

Still feel like there’s a connection between Jodey Kendrick’s sample in Data Sync off of EDM A2 and the woman in Produk 29.

Also, was listening today to Trackermatte, Rolando Simmons other project I think?, and heard a familiar sample in This track:

https://trackermatte.bandcamp.com/track/prime-me-buttercup

Could have sworn I heard that sample of what sounds like a kid is somewhere on Syro. s959tx16w maybe?

Could hint at a larger collaborative process shared by rephlex artists and other mates.

Edited by bandenoire

• 3 weeks later...

I remember hearing that in the early rephlex days they had a shared collection of samples? Cylobian Sunset credits RDJ for a string sample. And there's a Cylob song that contains exactly the same distinctive unique percussive sample as an AFX track, but I can't recall either of their names.

anyone fancy a sausage roll?

Never heard that RDJ lived with TJ - somehow i doubt it!

it's true

Wasn't there a third that lived with them? I can't recall who.

It was a madhouse.

anyone fancy a sausage roll?

Never heard that RDJ lived with TJ - somehow i doubt it!

it's true

Wasn't there a third that lived with them? I can't recall who.

It was a madhouse.

Yeah, that was Cylob. If I recall correctly, they each had their own floor in a three storey terrace and could often hear each other producing music through the floors. It sounds like I'm just making this up, but I'm sure I read an interview about it.

• 2 months later...

Was listening to my library on shuffle and couldn't get my mind what Ventolin era song from sc dump I was listening (that's until the acid line comes in). Turned out to be this as it has some phlange phuqery in it too:

Just reminded me of Phlangebeat and Phuqed up and remembered this thread. Most possibly not related in any way whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I’m nuts but I was listening to this again today and thought I heard something familiar in Thin Life. There’s a heavily modulated voice that comes in right before the 303 hits and continues in and out throughout the rest of the track that has a similar cadence to the Night Mail sample.  

Edited by bandenoire
added media

• 2 months later...

Not sure when Tom was supposed to live with the Rephlex crew, but here's an interview at his place in '96. Right after Feed me... while he was working on Hard Normal Daddy. Doesn't look like the other guys are around though. Could be me. I'm sure they would have mentioned it if it was the same place AFX was living.

If you haven't seen it, be sure to check it out. ;D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Consul
      Chris Cunningham and later Aphex Twin performing in Torino, Italy at Traffic Festival.
      Includes a different version of "Monkey Drummer" by Chris Cunningham.
    • By Consul
      Aphex Twin + Chris Cunningham – Traffic Festival (30/06/2005)
      View File Chris Cunningham and later Aphex Twin performing in Torino, Italy at Traffic Festival.
      Includes a different version of "Monkey Drummer" by Chris Cunningham.
      Submitter Consul Submitted 05/19/21 Category Aphex Twin  
    • By mause
      interested to try and catch this one, unreleased spymania bits from the whole gang (and hopefully spoosher!)..anyone got the wherewithal to record it and back it up? i might not be able to catch it 😞 
    • By ARPA
      Squarepusher’s sonic masterpiece and debut mind-melter of an LP Feed Me Weird Things returns, reissued on double vinyl for the first time since its release on the 3rd of June 1996. Originally released on Rephlex, Aphex Twin himself noted on the sleeve notes of the original that Squarepusher makes “sound like sound never sounded before… Squarepusher gives us the SOUND of SOUND.” Now released on Warp 25 years later, the original album has been remastered from the original DATs and features two extra tracks on a 10 which were first released on the B-side of the Squarepusher Plays… EP and later featured on the original Japanese release of this album. The edition also includes a 16 page booklet with personal photographs, ephemera and notes from Tom Jenkinson, giving us an insight into his early career and into a time of true experimentation and innovation during the mid-90s.
      To say it was ‘ahead of its time’ feels unsatisfactory, and almost chronologically inaccurate - the wild array of styles it blends makes Feed Me Weird Things seem to exist in a time and space continuum all of its own. Maybe there really were UFOs over Leytonstone?
      Using the nascent energy and wildly experimental drum programming of jungle as its main rhythmic driving force, Feed Me Weird Things is celebrated for the way it was able to blend and cross-pollinate genres so effectively. Jazz, instrumental dub, trip-hop, UK hardcore, ambient synthesis, seventies cop funk and even a kind of mangled bossa nova are all tied magically together, transcending into a sound uniquely his own.
      Without delving into the many highlights and moments on the record, it serves as both a snapshot of one of the most vital, experimental periods in the history of UK electronic music and how the young Tom Jenkinson was pushing the boundaries of electronic music, into something well and truly weird, feeding into the canon of electronic music that resonated on into that decade and beyond.

https://bleep.com/squarepusher-feed-me-weird-things-warp?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Exclusive+|+Squarepusher+-+Feed+Me+Weird+Things+(Warp)+|+Limited+Edition+Merchandise+|+Just+Announced&utm_campaign=Squarepusher+-+Feed+Me+Weird+Things+(Warp)&vgo_ee=X%2Ff68E0cbmDQVqNOqFxmzxwUnRnlmwiuCIJkd9A7F3A%3D
    • By ganus
      if anyone is interested, have some things I need to sell:
      Mike & Rich - Expert Knob Twiddlers cassette reissue, sealed NM
      Aphex Twin - MARCHROMT ep 12", sealed NM
      Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments 12", EX
      Aphex Twin - Syro vinyl, EX
      Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do warp vinyl reissue, EX
      Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92, vinyl reissue (2012? not a remaster) VG
      AFX - Orphaned Deejay Selek 12", EX
      AFX - Analord 06 12", EX
      AFX - Analogue Bubblebath Vol 3, Rephlex vinyl release, EX
      Steinvord EP (Rephlex) 12", EX
      Amen Andrews - Vol 01 12", VG
      Mike & Rich - Expert Knob Twiddlers 12" - test pressing? some weird version with only one of two discs and a white label with sharpie. VG
      official Aphex Twin Collapse ep chartreuse T-shirt, XL. good condition but has been worn.

last one is kind of weird lol but I know official afx shirts have been sought after at points so figured Id just see if anyone's interested.
      DM me if you're interested, we can go off the discogs/ebay avg price with a discount. would love if someone wants to buy a bundle with a few of these especially. im located in the US.